October 2011 Moms

Packer...Cat question, if you don't mind?

Mobile: I have a cat question if you don't mind.

My 5y/o cat was just diagnosed with kidney disease.  Our first step is to treat her with a change of diet (Hills Perscription Diet-Renal Health) and a medicine--I forget the name.  And we will go back in a few weeks for more blood tests to see if there is improvement.

My question is, how serious is this.  I mean I know it is super serious...but are we looking at a slow miserable death, sustained happy life?  I just want to know if she is in pain, or approximately how long she will live.  I know you cant give me a time frame, but I just couldn't ask our Dr because I would have broken down.

Really, any insight you have would be so tremendously helpful.   

Thanks!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Packer...Cat question, if you don't mind?

• Not a pro or an expert, but my brother's cat lived with kidney disease to be 23. 12 years after diagnosis, he peacefully passed in his sleep.
    He was on meds and special food, but other than that, he did very well.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Awe, Thank you so much!!!! 

She is 5 years old.  I took her to the Dr. because I noticed weight loss (2 pounds down since her check last year.  From 8 to 6).  I also noticed she wasn't eating her food, but begging for treats (which is weird for her).  She also urinated right in front of me, and it didn't smell...yes I tried to smell it ;-)  

He did call it kidney disease.  

Thank you so much!

• Loading the player...
  • imageNita2603:
    Not a pro or an expert, but my brother's cat lived with kidney disease to be 23. 12 years after diagnosis, he peacefully passed in his sleep. He was on meds and special food, but other than that, he did very well.

Thank you for this.  I'm all hormonal and have been thinking the worst...this helped!!  

• Thank you, Packer! 

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions..and calm my nerves.   Hopefully she will gain some weight and be on the mend soon! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"