Special Needs
Options

Sleep?????

So my son has been refusing to sleep in his bed the last couple months he just wants to sleep on the floor. Does anyone else have experience with this? He has joint problems and stuff so I worry about him sleeping on floor so much. Any advice? He has sensory problems so I don't believe I would be able to move him to his bed once he was asleep.
Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Sleep?????

• Options
    Is he able to explain why he wants to sleep on the floor?  Our son used to do that and then we figured out that he doesn't like pillows - he likes to sleep on a completely flat surface.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    image-auntie-:

Are his joint problems going to be exacerbated by sleeping on a harder surface according to his physician or is this just a gut feeling you have as a mom?

I know a lot of kids on spectrum who make themselves something akin to a rat's nest for sleep. It often starts out as a sensory driven behavior. The floor may be quieter for a kid with keen hearing. It might be darker. He may feel more secure lower to the ground in terms of precioperative feedback. He may be better able to arrange a pile of linens to replicate a weighted blanket. I find some kids like a cozy, almost claustrophobic nest for sleep.

If this isn't a problem according to his medical team, I don't know that it would be a hill to die on for me but mine's an only and doesn't share a room.

This is my DD.  She sleeps nestled in between about 40 stuffed animals.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"