May 2012 Moms
Options

Re-post from 12-24 month toddler board- DD BITING OTHERS

I'm sure a lot of you view the other board I've posted this on, so sorry if you're seeing this twice but I need some advice....

So...fun times! Today when I dropped DD off at daycare, one of the caregivers came up to me saying she needed to talk to me about something. (uh-oh!) She said that DD has started biting other children and seems to be doing it when she's angry. For example, if someone takes a toy she wanted or if they are bothering her. DD doesn't have many play dates because all of my friends have much older children. I have become friends with 2 daycare moms and I am going to try to get play dates set up more often so that DD can get used to group play and if she does this in front of me, I can address it. (I've never seen her bite, other than a teether or me on occasion when her teeth hurt, but never out of anger). The daycare was very nice about it and said that it's very common at this age but that they have to bring it to my attention since she's done it 5-6 times and actually left marks on the other kids. Jeez.......I'm not sure what to do other than just a stern NO BITING and redirect. Anyone have experience with this? Any tips for what's worked for you? TIA  

Re: Re-post from 12-24 month toddler board- DD BITING OTHERS

• Options
    My kids never bite but they do hit! If dd is used to getting her way when playing at home with you, maybe stop letting her have the toy she wants when she wants it and start working on sharing. Then if you make her angry and she bites you your in a place to disaplin her. We do a stern no and then removing from the fun to sit for a minute or so. Good luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    Emma has been doing this too. She has been biting out if frustration and anger. When her older sister takes a toy she lunges at her. We have three other children and have never delt with biting. I have been removing her from the situation and it has helped her a little. She had yet to bite anyone else, seems only directed at charleigh.
    Tara
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't really have advice, but I want you to know you're not alone. We have a biter, and I have actually had to sign incident reports because one of my girls has bitten the other at daycare.

We haven't had any success yet, but we say no, redirect, and if its a really big fight, remove the toy they're fighting over from the room.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"