Parenting after a Loss
Options

Vaccinations - hope to not start a controversy

So one of my FB friends posted yesterday that her son is 2 months old and he hasn't had any vaccinations.  And she isn't planning on getting any for him...I'm not sure how that's going to work considering I think all schools require at least some of them, don't they?  She said this was based on "research" into vaccinations, which I can only assume means the flawed study that showed some questionable link with autism.

I didn't respond to the post and I know every parent has to make their own decisions for their child but I just can't fathom not vaccinating my child at all.  I understand the delayed schedules and whatnot (although I also wouldn't choose the delayed schedule for my own child just for personal reasons), but to not get ANY?  How can you put your child at risk of measles, polio, and all these deadly diseases that are completely 100% preventable?  How is that the best thing for your child?  Especially when you're basing it on these crazy flawed studies rather than science.  I mean do people honestly think if there was a causal link between vaccinations and autism that these vaccines would still be recommended and basically required (by schools, daycares, etc.)?  I just don't get it.  Don't you see the other millions of kids getting them and turning out just fine?

Can someone explain this to me?  What do you ladies think?  I just really don't get it, and I get so fired up that anyone can put their child's life in danger like that over BS "science."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
 BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

Re: Vaccinations - hope to not start a controversy

• Options
    Im pro vaccination so I can't help showboat some light on the other perspective but I've also wondered about schools. I wonder if there is a clause about not vaccinating because of religion or if they have to be homeschooled. I should know this because I'm a public school teacher but I don't.
    Eta shed not showboat lol darn autocorrect
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Options
    imagepangnl79:
    Im pro vaccination so I can't help showboat some light on the other perspective but I've also wondered about schools. I wonder if there is a clause about not vaccinating because of religion or if they have to be homeschooled. I should know this because I'm a public school teacher but I don't.
    Eta shed not showboat lol darn autocorrect
    There is an exemption from vax for religious reasons. I wasn't vaxed for religious reasons until I became an adult and did so on my own. Before the school year started we had to turn a card from our church in to the school nurse. Herd immunity worked for me. I never got anything the shots were for [this was before chicken pox vax, I did get those]. FWIW, I'm vaxing DS...mostly on the recommended schedule.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work in healthcare and am obviously provaccine. I believe everyone has the right to decide what is best for their own child, but if you don't vaccinate I wish you had to wear a sign that advertised this. I do not want my child's health to be put at risk due to another parents choice.
    Here in Massachusetts we currently have a mumps outbreak. It makes me nervous because DS is only 5 months and will not get his MMR until 12 months.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options

imageMom2anAngel2:
    I work in healthcare and am obviously provaccine. I believe everyone has the right to decide what is best for their own child, but if you don't vaccinate I wish you had to wear a sign that advertised this. I do not want my child's health to be put at risk due to another parents choice. Here in Massachusetts we currently have a mumps outbreak. It makes me nervous because DS is only 5 months and will not get his MMR until 12 months.

See this is one of the things that makes me nuts.  Like there shouldn't be a mumps outbreak...there's a vaccine for it!  But now anyone in your area who has a child less than 12 months will be exposed because of other parents not getting their kids the vaccinations.  I think that's another reason why it's so controversial, because your decision for your kids can affect other peoples' kids.  Like you can bet I wouldn't want my kid hanging out with someone who wasn't vaccinated.  But then again, how would I know? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Options

I'm a former NICU nurse (many, many moons ago) and pro-vaccination.  I can process the alternative schedule option if that's how you want to go (and given a variety of timing factors and repetitive illnesses DS is effectively "delayed" with his vaccination schedule but it was not a purposeful thing - and he is going to get them all).  I can't fathom putting a kid at risk of a devastating illness when actual, verified, peer-reviewed research has not proven a link to autism or anything other than very rare effects from vaccines for the general population.

That being said, I am amazed at the number of shots kids get today, versus what I learned about in nursing school in the early 90's when I had to memorize the schedule.  Also, as one who had Varivax twice, and am still nonimmune to varicella (chicken pox), I also wonder if some of the newer ones really "take" or are doing the job we think they are.  DH doesn't want DS to get some of the newer vaccines, but I pulled the Mommy Veto on that one, so he will get them.

I feel like there are chinks in the armor of herd immunity with the uptick in people not vaccinating, and those who are vaccinated not keeping up with boosters as they age.  Our part of IL has had an significant increase in whooping cough the past few years, for example, and there are reports of measles clusters from time to time.

The "religious" exemption is often treated as a "personal belief" exemption, I think, which is how schools deal with it in some cases, so it is not like you need a note from your church or something to get the exemption.

So there's my ramble on the subject.  We do shots in our house.

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I can't explain it because it makes absolutely no sense to me.  We're 100% pro-vaccination here.  I've seen first hand the devastating effects of these diseases.  My grandfather had polio (pre-vaccine days).  He got it late in his teen years and got off easy - he only lost most use of one arm.  He had plenty of friends and family members worse off or dead from it.  When the vaccine came out, he lined his whole family up at the health department to get it.  My sister has permanent hearing loss from the measles (she got it before she was fully vaccinated against it).  I was lucky to miss the measles, but was surprised to find out in my first tri testing with my son that my measles resistance was gone.  After giving birth to him, I made darn sure they gave me a booster before I left the hospital.  I also have a friend who had one of the very rare reactions from the old form of the polio vaccine.  He's still pro-vaccine, but will probably skip the polio vaccine since his reaction was so severe.  I get that.  I just don't get skipping vaccines at all because you believe some hokey pokey stuff that some dude wrote on the internet.  
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    jobiannjobiann member

So my question is, if they don't get vaccinated...they cannot attend a public school or even a private one for that matter correct? They would only be able to be home schooled?

I'm pro-vac...but I was curious what their limitations are for education. Even colleges require certain ones.  

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    imagejobiann:

So my question is, if they don't get vaccinated...they cannot attend a public school or even a private one for that matter correct? They would only be able to be home schooled?

I'm pro-vac...but I was curious what their limitations are for education. Even colleges require certain ones.  

I think it depends on the district and state.  I think they can go to regular school here if their parents say they opted out of vaccinating, but I could be wrong on that.   Crappy thing is, there are kids who cannot get vaccinated for health reasons and those kids depend on herd immunity.  Herd immunity requires a pretty high vaccination rate and there are sections of the country that are below that.  

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options

I did not get DD a hep B vaccine on the day she was born. My dd's pediatrician was 100% on board with her not getting that vaccine. She said "hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted disease and I am sure your baby is not going to be exposed to it." I know she was over generalizing hep B, if my dd was in daycare she would be exposed to other peoples bodily fluids (on toys, diapers etc.) and I would be concerned, but because she is at home with me for her I do not believe it is necessary.

as for school, my husband and his siblings were not vaccinated and they got a religious exemption although their reasons for not vaccinating were not religious- that was just the only way to go about it.

My little boy went to heaven during childbirth Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

type 1 diabetic for 7 years. Been on the pump for 6 years.
  • Options

My DH is a pharmacist, so I think it is probably obvious we are a very pro-vaccination family.  There were so many deadly and easily transmitted diseases in the past and the vaccinations have saved so many lives.  

I am all about letting people parent how they want to parent, but when it is something that will effect my kids, that's a different story.  I'm in a MOMs group and if I know a child is not vaccinated, I don't attend events they will be at.  I understand some people have allergies and totally am okay with them not getting the vaccinations, but with this recent anti-vax crusade, there are so many kids who should that aren't.  And it lowers the chances of all the kids remaining healthy.  Especially in the very liberal area I live--lots of anti-vax families (usually not the type of families we are around on a daily basis, but we still come in contact with them I'm sure.) 

Anywho, it doesn't make sense to me at all, and it actually p*sses me off, but there's not much I can do about it besides trying to avoid those families.  Especially when Raelee arrives since she won't be able to have all the vaccines right away (same with all newborns). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options

Since I mentioned above that DD did not receive a hepatitis B shot I wanted to come back and explain a few reasons why. I also wanted to add that I think stating that every parent with concerns over vaccine safety is putting their child's life in danger and trusting in BS science is a little over the top.

You have probably never heard of Philip Incao the M.D who testified before the Ohio House of Representatives trying to explain to the politicians why the vaccine carried more risks than benefits. He explained that between 1990 and 1998 a total of 17, 497 cases of injuries, hospitalizations and deaths related to the hep B vaccine had been reported to the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System. of that 17, 497 cases, 146 were children that had died due to the vaccine over just that 8 year period. (the vaccine came out in 1986). Dr. Incao was ignored and the politicians made it mandatory for children in Ohio. It's an interesting story if you ever read up on the Dr.s who fought very hard against the politicians because they were concerned for their patients. Or maybe as you suggest they were just believing a bunch of BS.

I have an autoimmune disease- type 1 diabetes. I suggest you research the link of autoimmune disease and the hepatitis B vaccine. There are so many studies I can't link them all here.Because my daughter may be genetically prone to autoimmune disease I do not want to give her a vaccine that is known to raise the risk of developing an autoimmune disease. Also when New Zealand implemented the Hep B vaccine into their vaccine schedule the country saw a 60% increase in type 1 diabetes. That's a huge number to pay attention to! In 2000 at an American Diabetes Association Dr.s and scientists from Italy presented their findings that there is a direct link between the Hep B shot and the rising type 1 diabetes epidemic.

The hepatitis B vaccine (also called the recombinant DNA vaccine)is the first GMO vaccine.  It is made by inserting a portion of the hepatitis B virus gene into a bakers yeast culture. You may want to do some research on the devastating effects of GMO's.

Hep B vaccine has also been reported and confirmed to have caused cases of demyelinating (diseases that damage the myelin- a coating of the nerves- such as multiple sclerosis), SIDS, guillain-barre syndrome, visual disturbances, shingles, seizures, and rheumatoid arthritis.  Instead of putting a bunch of links here I will let you do your own research on that.

My little boy went to heaven during childbirth Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

type 1 diabetic for 7 years. Been on the pump for 6 years.
  • Options
    julesjbjulesjb member
    This is the first vaccine post I have ever read that everyone who commented was pro vaccine...I'm impressed!
    BFP #1 6/18/10 Saw HB 7/15/10 Missed M/C 8/17/10 @ 12 weeks 2 days- 2 D&C's( 8/20 and 8/26) BFP#2 11/21/10 Nonviable at 5wks, possible ectopic. Methotrexate 12/3/10&12/9/10 BFP#3 3/10/11 Beta@12dpo 39 Beta@14dpo 160! 21 DPO 2439 HB at 7wks 127 EDD 11/17/11
    ITS A BOY!!!! Born 11/13/11 BFP #4: 10/29/12 edd 7/11/12
  • Options
    katigoxkatigox member
    I agree with the statement that I truly respect whatever parenting style/choices/lifestyle a parent decides; but once that decision affects the safety (and possibly) mortality of my son, I have to agree, I can't understand the reasoning either.

I'm not saying there aren't risks.  I'm not even saying all children should.  There are some who should not, based on other medical predetermined issues.  But I have myself, having an autoimmune disease, and having lived in both America, and Germany (and visited a lot of countries), have had *a lot* of vaccinations.  And surprisingly the only one I have ever had a reaction to is the flu vaccine (I feel crappy for a few days - but so does my Dad's family, so I'm thinking it's a genetic thing). 

^ but I still took the flu vaccine when I was pregnant, even though I knew I'd feel bad (but luckily, for only a day), because one - it protected me, and two - kit gave DS antibodies to protect him in those precious early months.

I am pro-vaccine all the way, because I know I wouldn't be here if it weren't for modern medicine.  I believe in it, and I trust in it.  Yes, of course, do your research, feel comfortable with you decision, but maybe step back and reevaluate if your decisions could cause grave bodily harm to others JMHO

BFP #1 06.20.11 I EDD 03.22.12 I MMC 09.01.11 (baby measured 6w4d) I D&C 09.07.11
    BFP #2 02.21.12 I EDD 10.29.12 I DS born 11.06.12

Surprise BFP #3 07.27.13 I EDD 04.02.14 I Stick baby stick!
    blog I pinterest

** I'm hopping all over boards these days, please @quote me for speedy replies :) **

• Options

I'm pro-vax, strongly. This is such a hot-button issue because it's not just a choice that you make for your child and family; it's a choice that affects other children and families. I work in a preschool and have for years, and I've seen how quickly minor and major illnesses can spread (chicken pox, pink eye...pertussis is big in our area too). 

I've also noticed that a lot of people i know who don't vaccinate their kids have not done any real research. They'll rely on anecdotal or horribly skewed information to make a decision. I think it's just really sad that people with good intentions of wanting to protect their child end up putting them in harm's way by failing to vaccinate them.  (Of course I don't mean the kiddos who can't get vaccinated for legit medical or religious reasons...)

Anecdotally, many of our kids who aren't vaccinated are the ones who are constantly sick and who seem to catch everything that goes around. 

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options

imagenola78:
    I'm an epidemiologist and very pro-vaccine.  I'm also anti delayed/modified vaccine schedules, but I won't get into any arguments about that; I just don't agree with it.  I will, however, completely side eye anyone who chooses not to vaccinate their child.  I feel VERY strongly about this, and view it as borderline negligence.  Flame me for that if you want, but I have no patience for parents who put their children at risk of deadly diseases (pertussis, mumps, measles, etc) because of their own ignorance.  Experts are those with who have education and research training; shittty internet research does not make someone an expert. 

Yes   All of this.  And, I totally agree with the PP's comment about there being gaps in the herd immunity.. I'm a scientist as well.. and, though I don't do vaccine research, I work for a company that does a TON of vaccine research.. and, I can't agree more to the bolded statements above.. if you REALLY want to research the matter.. find someone to pull you articles from PubMed.. READ the literature.. and, know what it is you're reading.. This is SUCH a huge pet peeve of mine..

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Options
    awesnapawesnap member

imageMom2anAngel2:
    I work in healthcare and am obviously provaccine. I believe everyone has the right to decide what is best for their own child, but if you don't vaccinate I wish you had to wear a sign that advertised this. I do not want my child's health to be put at risk due to another parents choice. Here in Massachusetts we currently have a mumps outbreak. It makes me nervous because DS is only 5 months and will not get his MMR until 12 months.

This is what I fear.  

BFP CP 1/12/11 DD born 10/16/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"