Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

For those who have used Depo Provera...

I got my first shot about 5 weeks ago. My husband is going to get a vasectomy, but until we didn't want to take any chances before he got an appointment.

Additionally, I am breastfeeding and we are also using the withdrawal method.  As of a week ago, we have decided to use condoms as well.  

My side effects are making me crazy.  Right now I am spotting again.  What are your experiences? Has anyone gotten pregnant while using this method?  

Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: For those who have used Depo Provera...

• Options
    Not much advice to give as I have only been on it for about 4 months now. I am also breastfeeding. No periods or spotting for awhile now. No side effects that I have noticed. We are not using any other form of birth control. When is your husband's appointment? Maybe you can switch to the mini-pill before then?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

I was on it for 5 years. The first six months I gained a ton of weight which did stabilize a bit but I was still heavier than before. I had no periods for those 5 years and when I finally went off of it, I put on 50 pounds in just a couple months. It did come off again later but ugh!

Now I have the paragard (non-hormonal) IUD and I LOVE it!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was on it for almost a year in HS. I gained about 60lbs in a short amount of time and it took a looooooooong time to get it off after I got off of it. I also was a giant biatch on it. I refused to go back onto it. So I got Mirena instead.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thank you for your replies.  I was on the mini pill when I got pregnant with #4!  I think that's why I was concerned about using a back up method.  I wanted the Mirena or the Paragard, but my doctor said they like to wait until about 12 weeks or so to put it in after childbirth.  

So far, Depo is okay, but I have been spotting a lot and having tons of hot flashes!!  I have until July before I need to decide if I need to bother with another shot. My hubby appointment is soon...but not soon enough! 

Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I was on Depo for a couple years at the beginning of our marriage. We didn't use any other forms of BC and never had a problem. However, it took nearly 9 months after stopping for AF to return. So if you're hoping to have kids again, plan ahead.

CafeMom Tickers

imageCafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"