Special Needs

Help convince me I did the right thing.

...Or tell me i did the wrong thing so i can change before its too late. On a whim I cancelled one of my daughters therapies for the summer. 

My daughter has attended a speech/social/play group since January. It's run by a former special Ed teacher/slp with 30 years of experience. They work on floor time, speech, social skills. My daughter has made some tremendous gains since starting-she has an interest in other kids and will engage in parallel play/mimic what they do/ take their toys(though still really enjoys independent play), has play skills that are advanced for her age, will attend to both preferred and non preferred activities for longer periods, and displays joint attention/social reprocity. I've stuck with this group since she's made such great gains and the instructor is so qualified...but my dd dislikes the instructor. She gets nothing in the form of speech from her since she just won't engage with her. She ignores her when she says her name and gives her downright dirty looks-she doesn't act like this at all with any of the other therapists either in group or one on one interactions. 

It came up in conversation with my service coordinator yesterday not as a complaint about her but kind of a matter of fact way. She convinced me to take the summer off from it and see what happens in September. Unfortunately another group like this with a different instructor is not an option. I'm definitely second guessing.

wwyd if you were in my shoes?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help convince me I did the right thing.

• She has private, one on one speech therapy via a speech therapist. She has socialization with peers in a variety if activities-both through ei and activities outside of ei. She has epilepsy, not asd. Language delays are attributed to seizure activity occurring in that part of the brain. We are looking to solely drop this group speech/social skills group. She will continue her other therapies all summer. If we saw a regression in social skills over the next few weeks, we could add the therapy back in for July. 

She has connected well and responds well to every other therapist on her team that make her work-her ot, slp, and pt in her other group class. She has not connected at all with her therapist she's been working with for six months in the speech/social skills group. This is the only therapy were dropping for the summer-her private speech/ot and her pt group will continue through summer.

i don't think my service coordinator has money on her mind when she suggested we drop the group class. She's been with our family for two years and cried when she found out dd had epilepsy. I think she has our best interests at heart.  

given the added info-wwyd? 

• image-auntie-:

Given the added information, I'd agree with your plan.

Do you think more one:one therapy would be useful? It seems like social skills would not be a risk given her dx and something you could easily address with preschool and playdates as she gets older. 

i do think more speech would be good, but I didn't want to push it into our already busy schedule. She's going to do a preschool readiness group with speech in the fall which will give her two more sessions of speech a week. I also plan on adding private therapy if I'm dissatisfied with the amount of speech the district gives her after her third bday.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"