Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

What solid food did/will you start with?

DD will be starting solids in a month and I'm debating what to start with (we're doing purees, not BLW).

With DS I did rice cereal; that seems to be a no-no now, but I'm not completely against cereal so I may start with whole grain oatmeal.

I know avocado is a popular starter, too, and maybe bananas?

Just curious what others are doing and looking for suggestions.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: What solid food did/will you start with?

• Options
    lkm2006lkm2006 member
    I started DS1 with applesauce. Baby food applesauce, not the regular kind.

• Options
    We were told to start with meats then veg then fruit and skip cereals.  I will likely use some cereal as a mixing agent with some things not sure if we will skip it otherwise or not.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started with bananas then apples and then pears. I think we'll try avacados tomorrow :)
  • Options
    I did and will start with veggies with DD1 and DD2. I avoid doing fruits first, so she could acquire a liking to less plain foods like veggies, since fruits are so naturally sweet. I did green beans first. I am thinking about doing carrots first this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    With DD1 we did rice cereal first, which is now out of fashion. I think I did cereal plus squash with DS. I am thinking squash or pears first this time, then oatmeal, then another fruit or veggie. Bananas can be constipating.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ta78ta78 member
    Our pedi said we could start rice cereal now to see if it helps DDs reflux, which is really bad. I'm not sure I want to do the cereal though. I have a couple jars of squash from a friend, so that's what we'll probably start with. Then maybe avocado and banana.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
    Banana, then avocado!
  • Options

imageClaryPax:
    With DS I started with cereals then sweet potatoes.  This time with DD I think I'll just start with the sweet potatoes because DS didn't really like the cereal until later anyway, 

This is exactly what we dd.  DS hated oatmeal, so we just started veggies a couple weeks later.  His first was sweet potatoes.  We eat A TON of sweet potatoes here, so we're hoping he continues to like them.  Our pedi recommended cereals (if desired, but could skip), then veggies, then fruits, and then meats.  She wanted him to stay interested in the "blander" foods longer I guess.  I was planning veggies first anyway.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

imagelkm2006:
    I started DS1 with applesauce. Baby food applesauce, not the regular kind.

regular kind is the same thing, just make sure to get the unsweetened kind.

I'll probably start with apples, bananas or sweet potatoes.  I read to start with an orange vegetable first.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I started with brown rice mixed with breastmilk. She didn't seem to really care for it. I then mixed banana with it, she still didnt care for it. Then I tried apple, still didn't care for it. I gave up on the rice and gave the purees straight, still got that look on her face like it was just too sweet. So I gave her green beans, she LOVED it. So now she is mainly eating veggies that I just steam and then puree in the blender. I still give her the rice cereal on occassion. Her main diet is still breastmilk though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    We gave DS squash first. We have since introduced all of the "supported sitter" fruits and veggies! Everything has been a hit, except for green beans.
  • Options

we started with sweet potato...she LOVED it.  I mixed a bit of formula in with the sweet potato while in the food processor to help make it more smooth and to give it a familiar taste.  you can do the same with breast milk if you are nursing.  The next treat will be apple sauce :) 

A good site to reference is www.wholesomebabyfood.com lots of tips, recipes, and age appropriate info
    xoxo jessica IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    We started with sweet potatoes. Our pedi recommended that we start with cereal, then veggies, then fruits. We did try oatmeal cereal once, but it didn't go well. I was a little hesitant about cereal anyway, so I made a decision to just skip, and move to veggies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS just got his first taste of solids tonight-oatmeal. We'll move on to bananas, avocado, and sweet potatoes next, I think.
  • Options
    imagejkru11:

we started with sweet potato...she LOVED it.  I mixed a bit of formula in with the sweet potato while in the food processor to help make it more smooth and to give it a familiar taste.  you can do the same with breast milk if you are nursing.  The next treat will be apple sauce :) 

A good site to reference is www.wholesomebabyfood.com lots of tips, recipes, and age appropriate info

Wholesomebabyfood.com is an awesome resource.

I started with mashed bananas, then avocado, next up is sweet potatoes.

imageimage
  • Options
    What are the reasons for rice cereals being a no no? I was under the impression they were iron rich and easy on babies tummy?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"