Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

constipation

My 6 month old is.constipated. She is formula fed. And we just started getting into solids. Ive heard.all sorts.of advice, but what works for best for you?

Re: constipation

• Options
    I noticed my little guy straining to poop so I started making him blueberry purees (he is EBF with solids) and it seems to help since he pooped twice today with no issue.  Maybe try a high fibre fruit like blueberries or prunes?
  • Options
    I know this isn't for everyone, but we've used this twice without fail. 1 ounce of strained prune juice to 2 ounces of water. The first time he drank an ounce and pooped within 2 hours. The second time he drank almost all of it and went within the hour. Keep in mind this was when he was around 4.5 months so solids weren't an option for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tried the prune juice diluted like said above. Its been ab an hr nothing ywt, hopefully soon. She keeps stopping to grunt like shes pooping, i hope its a good sign.
  • Options
    I hope it works for you!

• Options
    It worked a little, we had a very small one. Im thinking we may have more later or in the morning.
  • Options
    Glad to hear something at least moved.It is so sad to see them strstruggle!

• Options

We did a container of prune puree.  It took 36 hours get a good poop out, but once it did, it was epic.  She's been pretty regular since.  I have also cut back on the amount of bananas, apples, and rice cereal she was getting and mixing in other things.

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Same thing happened when DD started solids at 6 months. It's totally normal for them to be constipated in the beginning. She went from pooping everyday to only once ever 4 days the first 2 weeks of introducing solids. I starting giving her probiotic drops to help constipation and it totally helped. The best probiotic brand is Baby Biogaia infant drops. They're the BEST! They're expensive, but totally work. I gave her probiotic drops everyday for about 6 weeks. Her constipation issues worked themselves out. She is 8 and a half months and now poops twice a day. She still drinks BM and gets solids 3 times a day. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Cbeau+3Cbeau+3 member
    My pediatrician said prune juice or Karo syrup. I wouldn't do the Karo syrup unless it's really bad though. My 7mo old is having some solid stools so I'll be picking up some prune juice in the morning myself.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"