Preemies

New here

New to this board. My original due date was June 24, but I went into early labor and had my daughter may 18 at barely 35 weeks. She was 4 lbs 7 ounces at birth, and other than some jaundice was healthy enough to go home in 3 days and luckily not need nicu. She lost weight after birth and is now 4lbs 4 ounces and still doing good at home. Does anyone know when/if its safe to take her out places? Mainly just to run errands like groceries etc? I love relaxing but feel like I could get out of the house even just for groceries. Thanks!

Re: New here

• I'm a new FTM so I don't actually have an answer for you. I know that for me, once DD is home, I plan on hibernating with her for as long as possible. How long that will be, I have no idea.

Also, welcome and that is awesome that she got to come home so soon! Congrats on your new addition.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats on your new addition.  I'd definitely ask her pedi this question as everyone here will have different experiences, comfort levels, and thoughts.  Good luck.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations on the birth of your little girl.

Both my girls were born during the winter (well my second DD was born in March). I waited until she over a month old before taking her out in public. This was also after RSV season was over. I understand your need to get out. She is probably still too small to wear, but I started to wear my DD2 at 6lbs. If not, just make sure when your out, you put a blanket over her, so no one gets grabby with her. 

• Pips09Pips09 member
    Congrats on your baby! I would ask your pedi about taking the baby out. If she came home with you from the hospital, I'd expect that there would be no more than the usual newborn precautions.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I agree with what everyone has said about asking your pediatrician.  My little boy was supposed to be born May 9th, but was born March 27th, 6 weeks early, due to me being diagnosed with preeclampsia.  He was in the NICU for three weeks and then came home.  I was really paranoid about taking him places, as the nurses had warned us that he would be extra susceptible to germs and whatnot.  We only had limited visitors the first couple weeks, and only people who weren't sick.  I actually waited until close to the original due date to start taking him anywhere...some kind of superstition on my part I guess, but once his due date passed I felt more comfortable taking him out of the house.  We have only ventured over to my mom's house, sister's house, and the park once or twice, as I feel stores might be more overwhelming for both of us.  As he gets older, however, I'm hoping we can go more places together over the summer.  Good luck to you!  I know what you mean about getting out of the house, I sometimes just need some fresh air, and I bet baby benefits from that, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"