January 2014 Moms

miscarriages after you've seen the heartbeat

I tried to google but I couldnt find anything that answered my more specific question..

What are your miscarriage rates for pregnancies when a heartbeat has been detected? A lot of women go for their 8 week scan only to find their baby never actually developed from the beginning, but for those who have had the early scans and saw heartbeats, what are your risks then?

Re: miscarriages after you've seen the heartbeat

• This is exactly the fear that is currently running through my brain.

https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/miscarriage-general

After heartbeat is detected, risk of miscarriage is 9.4% at 6wks; 4.2% at 7wks; 1.5% at 8wks; 0.5% at 9wks

• I think once you see a HB, your rate of m/c goes down dramatically.  With my previous loss, we never saw a HB.  Let me see if I can find the stats.

ETA: I was just about to post the link above.  Thanks sugar ;) 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • I have never seen statistic on it and I know there are some old wives tales that say after you see a heart beat you are in the clear or your chances are a lot better. Personally I do not believe it. With my last m/c we had a beautiful hb at 8 weeks but the baby stopped developing at 8 1/2 and we didnt find out until 10 weeks. There are no guaranties in this world, we can all only hope and pray that these are our take home babies. 

"Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." -Gandalf 
    m/c #1 01/10/12
    BFP #2 01/18/13. EDD 09/10/13. Missed m/c 02/18/13. 
    BFP #3 5/1/13 My rainbow DS born 1/13/14
    BFP #4 11/11/15 spontaneous m/c 12/28/15
    BFP#5  Praying for another rainbow in February!

• I just read yesterday in a baby book that if you have a good u/s around the 8 week mark your chances of m/c go down to 10%.

Previously I read that a good u/s between weeks 7-11 means m/c chances go down to 10% so I'm not sure which it is.

I was unfortunately one of the rare few last time, as everything was great at my 8 week u/s, baby was even measuring one day ahead, and then he/she stopped growing less than 2 weeks later.

• It does drop dramatically because most m/c are either chemical pregnancies, blighted ovums, or the heart never starts beating.  That said, of course things can still happen.

While it is all still in the back of my head, I'm going to try to focus on the fact that my baby has a heartbeat and I'm pregnant!!! Worrying myself sick isn't going to change anything, so when I start to get anxious I just say, "today I'm pregnant and I love my baby!!" Because today I am....pregnant :) YAY!

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• imagerowanthefrog:

Worrying myself sick isn't going to change anything, so when I start to get anxious I just say, "today I'm pregnant and I love my baby!!" Because today I am....pregnant :) YAY!

Yes

peace,
    katharine

Book-Kitten blog

• imagerowanthefrog:

While it is all still in the back of my head, I'm going to try to focus on the fact that my baby has a heartbeat and I'm pregnant!!! Worrying myself sick isn't going to change anything, so when I start to get anxious I just say, "today I'm pregnant and I love my baby!!" Because today I am....pregnant :) YAY!

This - I'm nervous because I'm 31, but I saw a HB and I'm getting all the awesome symptoms, so I'm just going to think positive confident thoughts until I'm given a reason otherwise!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a scary episode last Saturday (you can find it in a previous post of mine), I ended up bleeding at 7 weeks, saw the baby and the heartbeat beating at 157 bpm and my cervix being closed.  I went to my OB yesterday morning and she told me that with all that combined I am at less than 5% chance of miscarriage but still on the look out.  Hope this helps you some.
  • My doctor told me that when a heartbeat is detected, your odds of miscarriage drop from 1 in 5 to 1 in 20.  So that would be 5% after a heartbeat is seen/heard. 
    DS1 born 3/27/12 DS2 due 1/8/14
  • jmb7712jmb7712 member
    Although the rates decrease significantly after seeing a heartbeat, I can unfortunately assure you it doesnt decrease 100% to nothing. I have suffered 3 consecutive losses in the past year ranging from 9 weeks, 7 weeks and 5 weeks. I saw the heartbeat with the first 2 and they were completely normal, strong, and healthy. Then, the heartbeat disappeared by the next US. I am currently 5 weeks now and petrified out of my mind. Hoping this is our rainbow baby! Best of luck to you also!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerowanthefrog:

I'm going to try to focus on the fact that my baby has a heartbeat and I'm pregnant!!! Worrying myself sick isn't going to change anything, so when I start to get anxious I just say, "today I'm pregnant and I love my baby!!" Because today I am....pregnant :) YAY!

This is what I'm also focusing on.

My Preston had a heartbeat at 16w3d, but at 16w4d and from then on, we couldn't find it with our home doppler. It was confirmed at 17 weeks he was no longer with us. Seeing that baby and heartbeat and hearing it is still a fantastic rush that puts a smile on my face, but it doesn't reassure him that everything will go as planned anymore. I hate being a Debbie Downer like that, but it is what it is. So I focus on the fact that today I'm pregnant, I've seen baby and heartbeat, and my symptoms are running rampant. There's not much else I can do at this point to calm any nerves I have.

Peanut BFP 9.18.2009 EDD 5.23.2010 m/c 10.16.2010
    DD#1 BFP 4.28.2010 EDD 1.10.2011 born 12.27.2010
    DS BFP 8.29.2012 EDD 5.11.2013 born sleeping @ 17 weeks 12.1.2012
    DD#2 BFP 5.7.2013 EDD 1.11.2014 born 1.10.2014
    Jelly Bean BFP 2.25.2015 EDD 11.7.2015

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pregnancy Ticker 
  • I don't think most pregnant women with any degree of intelligence believe that they are 100% guaranteed to bring home a healthy baby.  I think it depends on the person as to how they handle the miscarriage/stillbirth worries.

Some people need to guard themselves and not get too excited/invested.  Others would rather jump in headfirst and deal with the idea of losing the baby only if it actually happens.

I think both ways can be perfectly healthy, and each woman knows what she needs to do to best care for her own mental health.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • I know you hear a lot of, you're in the clear after you see a heartbeat. But that was not the case for me.  We saw a heartbeat at 6 weeks with my 1st pregnancy, had horrible all day sickness and went in at 11.5 weeks only to find there was no heartbeat and baby measured 6.5 weeks. 5+ weeks of being horribly sick, no bleeding, no cramps, etc, but still had a miscarriage and D&C. Suffice it to say, with DD, I went to every appt my whole pregnancy freaking out about hearing a heartbeat.  
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"