High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

SCH and getting different opinions

Hi ladies. I was wondering if anyone else has a 2nd tri sch and what their dr is telling them their outlook is for preterm labor, babies growth, chance of placental abruption, etc. My dr and mfm have been giving me different opinions nearly every time I go in. After this last visit, I'm more confused than ever.
A little history, at about 4 weeks I had some bleeding for 4 or 5 days, which I originally took for my period. At 14.5 weeks, I had a major bleeding episode that I was told by the er dr was caused by a partial placental abruption. At my a/s at 18 weeks, the report showed the abruption had caused a large sch to form between the placenta and uterine wall and we would most definitely need to be worried about iugr, even though dd was measuring exactly on track for edd. finally got to my mfm appt at 21 weeks and he offered a slightly more optimistic opinion, that I never actually had a placental abruption, my placenta simply has a somewhat common abnormality that could appear to be an abruption to someone who doesn't specialize in ob radiology. Instead, I have a large, though slowly regressing, sch and instead of being behind the placenta, it is in fact between the uterine membrane and wall. Still scary, but he thought with the p17 shots and mbr, we had a good chance of making it to 34 weeks. When I just went to my ob yesterday, he is still talking about his goal of making it to 30 weeks as though I don't have a chance of getting past it and I looked at the report and there is a second sch that nobody has ever mentioned to my dh or I... I'm so sick of never getting all the facts! I'm kicking myself for not mentioning the mfm drs opinion to my ob and for not asking why he thought 30 weeks was the cut off and what would happen at that point... Iugr? Ptl? Prom? But I had my 15 month old ds with me by myself, which never happens, just how it worked out, and he was fussy so I was more focused on what he was doing and only after I got on the road again did I really start thinking that I needed more answers.
So I guides if you have made it through this novel, first off, thanks for reading! And secondly, if you have any experiences relating to what I'm going through and want to share your outcomes or what the dr has you doing, I would really appreciate hearing about it! Thanks gals! Hope everyone has a great day!

Re: SCH and getting different opinions

• Options

I got (and still get) some differing opinions - although aside from the ER doc mine don't vary as much as yours do.

I had a major bleed at 10 weeks, I went to the ER thinking miscarriage and that's when they found the SCH. Mine was large - 10 cm. The ER doc told me very little, except that I should go home and stay in bed for the weekend and call my OB on Monday. She also said that since it was so large, right then and there I had about a 50/50 shot of keeping the babies. That's all she gave me, she didn't tell me how big it was then.

I called my OB on Monday and she told put me on modified bed rest for the week and I went to see her on the following Friday.  All she had was the records from the hospital and she didn't do a new u/s since it had only been a week. I was to stay on modified bed rest until my appt. at MFM at 12 weeks. She said it was a wait and see, SCH's are unpredictable and we needed to give it time and see what it would do. She couldn't answer any of my questions at that point.

at 12 weeks I had my NT scan at MFM - SCH was still visible, but I hadn't had any bright red bleeding since the original episode, no spotting or anything. Plus we learned that it was on the opposite wall of the placenta and right above my cervix, and the babies were still growing perfectly. She gave me the all clear to get back to life as long as I took it easy, pelvic rest, no excercise and no lifting.

Now at 18 weeks - I am being checked by u/s every 2 weeks and last check, last Friday was great! SCH is shrinking rapidly and babies are growing. I've been spotting brown off and on since I went back to work, but both doctors tell me that brown is good, it's old and that it's a sign the SCH is draining.  Every now and then I'll have a small gush of brown (usually in the early morning hours after having been laying down for awhile) but that hasn't happened in a week and the prognosis is great. I'll still be checked for cervical length (that would have happened anyway) every 2 weeks, and they'll also check growth but at this point as long as I continue to take it easy the SCH should finish resolving soon.

My OB was definitely more cautious than the MFM. Basically MFM sees high-risk all the time and regular OB's only get a few cases that are high-risk and the ER I find isn't the best place for pregnant women, they are not seeing these types of things all the time.

I hope that helps, sorry if I rambeled.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have an SCH this is my 4th and they have talked about PTL relating to it. My c section was still scheduled for 39 weeks. IUGR is caused by a placenta issue I have a circumvallete placenta that is what would cause iugr. But having an SCH has no relation to an SCH as far as I have been told. I would speak directly to the MFM on the phone when DH can listen.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a very large SCH from 10 weeks through 24 weeks with DS and I was repeatedly told by my RE, OB, and MFM that it did not increase my chances of abruption or PTL.   I had no placental issues with mine though, so I know that can really change things.   I did go into PTL at 34w4days but DS was measuring 2 weeks ahead at 6.7lbs and it was considered unexplained.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    I had a SCH and low placenta, causing a partial abruption at 13 weeks.  The SCH was not there a week before the abruption so it came on fast and hard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"