Preemies

Intro from a lurker

I lurk and post every now and then, though I think it's been about a year since I last posted. My name is Sam and my son Maxwell was born at 32 weeks due to a condition called gastroschisis. In short, it caused a hole in his abdominal wall that allowed a few feet of his intestines to hang outside of his body.

His growth was stunted in the womb and has problems with his umbilical cord. Since babies with gastro who are allowed to go to full term end up passing away in the womb it's not yet known why, we had been scheduled to induce at 35 weeks.

Well three weeks before the induction, I was under an incredible amount of stress and began a labor that would last five days that doctors initially took as a bladder infection and sent me home.

Anyway. He was born August 12, 2011. He weighed 5 pounds and 2 ounces. When we found out about the gastroschisis, doctors told us to expect him to be around 3 pounds. We were stunned he was so big! They had him on oxygen just in case, but he was breathing fine on his own.

He had two surgeries to put his intestines back in and spent the next two months in the hospital learning how to eat and poop.

He is now 21 months old and is still very small for his age. He weighs 24 pounds, is very active, and has such a huge, amazing personality! He is so independent, too.
February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro from a lurker

• MrsRKJMrsRKJ member
    So glad Max is doing well!  Welcome!
    Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014

• Welcome to the board! I am glad to hear about the progress Max has made after a scary start!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    Welcome!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I remember your SN, welcome back and I'm glad to hear he is doing well!

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Thank you ladies!
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"