Working Moms

Updated: Annoying or not ok at all?

We moved in December, so now our current daycare is pretty far away. We got DS on a wait list for a closer one in early December and the lady said she would start making wait list calls in April. Late April, we hadn't heard anything, so we called to check his wait list status. Each time, we were told only the director knew that and that she'd "be in soon" and would call us back. She finally called back a few weeks later to say he got in and that she wanted us to call in a few weeks to talk about a start date, in either July or August.

We did that, and it was the same story. Director's not here, will be here soon, leave a message, she'll call you back. Yesterday, I left a message that said "I need to know so we can give our current daycare some notice DS is leaving." Still nothing! Sometimes when we call no one answers at all.

I'm spoiled now because SIL is DS's current daycare teacher. Sometimes if DS has a rough morning or I'm afraid he doesn't feel well or something, I'll text her to make sure he's doing ok. I do this probably once a month, so it's not like I constantly need contact. But, I think it's odd that this new daycare director takes so long to return calls or that sometimes no one answers. Is this just annoying or completely unacceptable, in your opinion?

Update: So, I called this morning for one last try since I couldn't get over there in person until at least next week. Same story, the lady said the director would be in soon. So, I put on my biitch pants (this is really difficult for me, I have no balls) and said that I was pretty concerned about the lack of communication and that I didn't want DS there if I couldn't call during the day with questions or otherwise. The lady did say that each room has it's own phone, so I'm guessing that once you're in and get that number you have better contact.

The director just called my DH and said that some packet was supposed to have gone out in the mail weeks ago to us that told us we could start anytime after June 10. He said she wasn't super apologetic for the non-responses, just seemed surprised that we hadn't gotten said packet yet. So, I don't know. Not much of a resolution, but at least I do know there are other phone numbers we'll be able to call.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                     DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black

Re: Updated: Annoying or not ok at all?

• This borders on unacceptable.  They are taking care of your child - they need to be responsive to you.  Assuming she WANTS your business, I'd be concerned that if this is how she treats you now, what will it be like once your child is there?

And to be honest- I wouldn't hesitate to flat out ask her this. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• To add - are there other centers in the area that you like/ would consider using?  If so, I'd also put that in my message "I need to hear from her by __. If not, I'll have to assume she doesn't want our business and I'll take it elsewhere".

But- that's only to be used if there really is somewhere else you'd consider going! 

~Benjamin Franklin

• Loading the player...
  • shannmshannm member
    I agree with ECB. It really bugs me when people are not respectful of potential clients. And it may not have anything to do with the quality of care that she provides children but I wouldn't make that assumption.
  • Amelia4Amelia4 member
    Communication is huge to me.  If you have my child during the day, you must call me back quickly if I call you.  Thus, any place that didn't call back within 24 hours or any place where the phone rang but was never answered was immediately crossed off my list.  I'd classify your scenario as not okay at all.  Like PP said - she will only get worse once she has your business.
    imageimage
  • Somehow I missed the not answering at all. THAT is not o.k. - at all.  I'd be tempted to go there in person TODAY and hash this out. 

~Benjamin Franklin

• The problem is we have no other options, besides staying at our current daycare. I have to leave like 45 minutes earlier for work because it's so far away, which is not terrible, but not fun. The other daycares are either way too expensive or their wait lists are just as long as this one was. So, I guess we could get him on another wait list, presuming we could find a place we could afford, but that'll be another 7 or so months of waiting.

A friend recommended the place, but she's having a baby right now (like right now), so I don't really want to bother her about it to see if she's had issues with this, haha.

The director lady seemed great when we did the tour. And it's much nicer than our current daycare. I'm so bummed we're having these issues because I didn't see them coming, and I was excited for DS to go somewhere with more structure and learning opportunities. Ugh, thanks everyone for your input!!

DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • I would expect a return call within 24 hours.  Anything less would be unacceptable unless there was an extenuating cercumstance like the director was out sick and my call clearly was not regarding an urgent matter.  And I would absolutely raise this issue with the director now.  I'm not a demanding daycare parent. But I have never had a problem not being able to reach someone on the few occasions that I've called. 

• Well, if it's your only option right now, obviously you can't go in w/ all guns blazing. BUT I would still consider doing in, in person, and talking to her directly.  Tell her that your very upset about the lack of responsiveness AND the lack of phones being answered.  This concerns you about when your child is actually there.

If you can't go in person, that's fine, but still address these issues w/ her.

There IS a chance that she's unaware.  Not getting the messages, not realizing the phones aren't being answered.

But still- that IS her job and if she knows/ once she knows, she needs to handle it properly. 

~Benjamin Franklin

• ccamccam member
    People get busy and thats understandable, but it seems like this director took it to an extreme!  What would bother me the most is that sometimes no one answers at all - what happens when your child is there and you need to get a hold of someone?  That would be a big turnoff.  It would make me think that the director, and the staff in general, has too much on their plate.  I would look elsewhere and put your name on other wait lists.  But if this is your only option, you need to have a serious discussion about this issue.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• imageccam:
    People get busy and thats understandable, but it seems like this director took it to an extreme!  What would bother me the most is that sometimes no one answers at all - what happens when your child is there and you need to get a hold of someone?  That would be a big turnoff.  It would make me think that the director, and the staff in general, has too much on their plate.  I would look elsewhere and put your name on other wait lists.  But if this is your only option, you need to have a serious discussion about this issue.

I agree w/all of this, but the part in bold is the part that would be worrying me most if I were in your shoes.  Go by in person, if you are able, and find out what is going on.  I would raise the question politely and explain why it is concerning to you.  But to be honest, if I had other options, I probably would pursue them instead and write this place off.  Sorry you are in this position!

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    If this is your only option, I would make an in person appointment and go over expectations and how important communication is. Ask the responsibilities of each worker so you are not faulted by their division of responsibilities when asking questions. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So...the director is never AT the daycare when you call??  How can she run a daycare if she's never at work?  Is this the only place closer to home/work you would choose?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image*sparky*:

imageccam:

I agree w/all of this, but the part in bold is the part that would be worrying me most if I were in your shoes.  Go by in person, if you are able, and find out what is going on.  I would raise the question politely and explain why it is concerning to you.  But to be honest, if I had other options, I probably would pursue them instead and write this place off.  Sorry you are in this position!

Yeah, I didn't know if it was normal for them not to answer since I rarely have to call the actual daycare and, instead, just call or text SIL's phone. UGHHHHH. I'm so lame about stuff like this, but I guess I'll have to man up and raise some heck.

DS is 1DAF

• imagepitterpatter129:

So...the director is never AT the daycare when you call??  How can she run a daycare if she's never at work?  Is this the only place closer to home/work you would choose?

I'm not sure. She's always "going to be in soon." It seemed like the kids knew her on the tour, so I think she's there a lot, but I don't know. I just can't see how she could be THAT busy. I guess I'll have to try to find a time to stop by very soon.

We chose this place because of a recommendation. It seems really nice (a lot nicer than our current daycare, for sure), and I think DS will learn a lot more at this place than our current daycare. Such a bummer.

DS is 1DAF

• One hundred percent unacceptable.  At our DC, the director almost always answers the phone.  If there is a time when she isn't there, she responds by the next day.

• Pips09Pips09 member
    Everyone else has pretty much nailed it, but I would be very, very uncomfortable with this. You should be able to get in touch with her, or get the call back that you expect, and the phone should never go unanswered.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Also, if you do continue to try to get into this center, and you are able to meet w/the Director, I would ask if you can get a couple of parent references.  Ask them if they have had issues with getting ahold of staff when they needed to. 

• image*sparky*:
    Also, if you do continue to try to get into this center, and you are able to meet w/the Director, I would ask if you can get a couple of parent references.  Ask them if they have had issues with getting ahold of staff when they needed to. 

Good idea!

DS is 1DAF

• Our DC sucks about answering the phone.  I consider all communication with them one way - ie, I never leave messages because there is no point.

As a way around that I have the teacher's cell phone number.  Always have, every room.  I have texted one teacher one time in five years - but knowing I could get in touch with someone if needed was a big deal to me.  (We had some crazy divorce issues and my ex was suicidal, threatening to kidnap the children....so I NEEDED the day care to be aware IF he were to threaten something.  I did not tell them that was the reason, but it was).

• Not even close to okay.  Especially not answering at all.  I would not use this center. 
  • Sounds like the daycare I'm trying to get DS into.  There's a Catholic high school next to our church that has daycare.  First priority goes to the teachers in the school, second priority goes to other teachers in our deanery, and third priority goes to people like me who are part of the parish.  The director never got back to me.  I e-mailed and I called.  I finally contacted DH's aunt who works at the school.  She forwarded my e-mail to someone higher up and low and behold I got a call.  There's a very slim chance he'll ever get off the wait list which is fine because he will continue at his current center next year.

• where i live the daycares have such long waiting lists they dont even take calls about where you are on the list at all.  you can leave a message and someone will get back to you much much later.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"