One & Done: Only child

I am ungrateful

I know I should appreciate all of the hand-me-downs from neighbors and friends but I don't. Mostly because the stuff I am getting is WAY to big for LO and will most likely end up not fitting him in the right season. Case in point...my BFF just sent me a box of 6-9 mo clothes which is the size DS wears. The only problem is they are all WINTER clothes. It is almost June and I live in TX. I almost feel like everyone is giving their stuff to me because they don't want it in their house anymore and they couldn't sell it at their garage sale. A neighbor (whose son is 6 months older than my DS) just gave me a garbage bag of clothes. She asked what size DS wore but then gave me everything she had. I think I pulled out 2 items that might work...

I will end up donating everything but its frustrating that they don't just do it themselves. I know; I'm a jerk.

=BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage

Re: I am ungrateful

• missymomissymo member
    I'm sure you know this, but you don't HAVE to accept the hand me downs. Can you just say, "Thanks, but we don't need anything."?

I get a lot of hand me downs, but only from my older sister. Luckily, she has fabulous taste and the clothes are always cooler, more expensive, and more unique than I would have bought. Thanks to her, my daughter has a great wardrobe!

She does sometimes pass down things my SIL gave her from my older niece, and most of that goes to good will.

Since you say you very rarely use any of the items you get, I personally would not accept them. If someone gives them to you in a manner that doesn't allow for that, just lug it to goodwill and make sure they know for the future that you aren't in need.

C is 3 years old

• jb2rnjb2rn member

yep, just say no. I have a friend that just had one child as well, and she asked before she send me boxes in the mail.

I would just tell them you don't think the clothing will work with your weather, and to please donate it locally.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Loading the player...
  • I have learned my lesson. 'No, thank you' is going to become a part of my repertoire.
    =BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • blue33blue33 member
    Yeah, I had to establish the NO USED STUFF early with my family and friends. We are only doing this once, so I enjoy buying new clothes and items for our son. Only a few of our family members got offended, but I could care less. They got over it, and they didn't load us down with crap they wanted to get rid of. I don't think that you are ungrateful. I think that you can't use the stuff that you were given, and you prefer not to have to deal with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"