March 2013 Moms
Options

Milk Supply

Hey mamas,

Has anyone else's milk supply dropped drastically since returning to work? 

I've been back to work for almost 3 full weeks now and since Friday I've notices a dramatic drop when I pump and DS is never full anymore when I nurse.  I was pumping about 30-35oz a day before last Friday (plus whatever DS nurses) and now I'm down to 15-20oz a day (plus whatever DS nurses). 

I've started taking Fenugreek over the weekend and drinking Mother's Milk tea...I even baked lactation cookies. Been doing this since Saturday and haven't noticed a difference. 

Is it possible I'm just drying up since my schedule has changed now and I'm not nursing as often?  Makes me sad to think of that possibility!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Milk Supply

• Options
    I EP from the beginning but I noticed a slight decrease since I returned to work. How often are you nursing/pumping? I pump when LO wakes up at night anywhere from 330 to 430 then 630 before i leave, 930 1230 and 330 at work then 630 and930 at home. Are you able to pump every 3 hours at work?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I nurse in the morning when ds wakes up at 5am, then pump at 8, 11, 2, and 5. I then nurse at 8pm then pump at 11pm. Only once did I get screwed up at work...but it was well before I noticed the drop in my supply. I'm trying not to stress about it because I know that wont help a thing but just thought it was odd it happened so suddenly and hasn't bounced back in the least. Today I've pumped only 11oz so far.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sounds more like your supply is regulating. 30-35 oz. over 4 sessions is a lot and probably a bit of an oversupply. How much does your DS take in a bottle while you're away?
  • Options
    He is 12 weeks and eats 5 to 7 oz every 4 hours or so during the day.

I thought I've read that my supply would have already regulated itself? Is it really possible for it to regulate and change so drastically when he's almost 3 months old? Just wondering since I'm a FTM and have no comparisons
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    JAH12JAH12 member

5 to 7 oz at 12 weeks for a bfed baby is a LOT of milk! Are you sure they aren't over feeding him at daycare? Bfed babies eat a lot less than a FF baby. I worked full time and bfed DD until she was 16 months old and she never took more than 4oz. 

Bfed babies can be easily overfed because of the flow of the nipple. its a lot easier for them to drink more, but they don't always need that much. 

Just a thought....

Look out baby #3 is on his/her way!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My parents are caring for him. I trust that they're not overfeeding him. Thats the one thing they would never do. He's always been a big eater, even the pedi said that he must have a huge appetite at his 2 mo appt based on how much weight he's gained. Even when I've given him a bottle, then pumped or H has given him a bottle he does eat quite a bit. I've noticed anywhere from 4 to 8 oz depending upon the time of day, how long it's been since the last feeding, etc. He didn't really get bottles often before I went back to work, however that was just my observation from late nights or weekends when H wants to help with feedings. DS also makes no qualms about when he's full. He will refuse my breast or the bottle if he doesn't want to eat.

Thank you for the help ladies. I'm really gonna keep on trying to nurse and pump if possible. Just hope my supply isn't drying up from relying so much on the pump and being away from my son so much!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Mine has gone down a little because my door at work is broke so only locks from the outside. I always need someone to lock me in. But I pump every 3 hours on the dot on the weekends, except overnight. And then it increases more.
    My baby only eats 2 ounces maybe 3 at a time so I can still keep up with her. She is 12 weeks but has never been a big eater
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Mine has dropped so much.  I am afraid I am going to dry up.  I had a drop a couple of weeks back but was able to build it up a little.  Now that I am at work it has dropped again..  I never have time to pump at work and if I do it is maybe 1x a day and only for a few mins before someone needs me.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageJAH12:

5 to 7 oz at 12 weeks for a bfed baby is a LOT of milk! Are you sure they aren't over feeding him at daycare? Bfed babies eat a lot less than a FF baby. I worked full time and bfed DD until she was 16 months old and she never took more than 4oz. 

Bfed babies can be easily overfed because of the flow of the nipple. its a lot easier for them to drink more, but they don't always need that much. 

Just a thought....

ditto the above... I'm sure your parents are doing an awesome job, but it's very possible they're over feeding him. BFed babies tend to need 1 oz for every hour they're away from mama. I would suggest giving him a little less and then a paci (if he takes one) to satisfy his need to suck. 

BFed babies will drink and drink until they burst...when they nurse, the stop b/c the milk stops. A lot of babies don't know how to stop when they're full and will keep drinking from the bottle.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    BFed babies will drink and drink until they burst...when they nurse, the stop b/c the milk stops. A lot of babies don't know how to stop when they're full and will keep drinking from the bottle.

I'm confused because I always read the opposite. That BFed babies always stop when full. Plus, it sounds like this baby does stop when he's full according to OP. I think we've gotten off topic here. OP just wanted to know about supply dropping, not whether you feel her baby is being overfed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    mrmrshmrmrsh member
    With DS1 I noticed a drop once I returned to work. It helped to nurse as much as possible over the weekends and when I was home. AF also returned soon after returning to work and that always caused a temporary dip. And stress was also a major factor for me.
    Hopefully if you can nurse as much as possible over weekends it will help. Drinking a lot of water and trying to relax a bit before pumping helped me.
    Good luck!
  • Options

imageswelniak:
    I'm confused because I always read the opposite. That BFed babies always stop when full. Plus, it sounds like this baby does stop when he's full according to OP. I think we've gotten off topic here. OP just wanted to know about supply dropping, not whether you feel her baby is being overfed.[/quote

But I'm sure you can see how the two topics are related though right? If he's being overfed, then her supply won't be able to keep up.

And I've always read that you can't overfeed a BFed baby...but that's when they're being BFed, not bottle fed. No one's attacking her...we're posting advice because she asked for help.

My little man at 0-1-2

• Options

When he takes a bottle if he doesn't want anymore he swats it away and won't take it back even when offered, which leads me to believe he's not overfed.  Even when nursing in the past if he's done even before I stop flowing he'll spit out the nipple and won't take it back when offered.  When doing a weight before/after feeding at the pedi's office at his 2 month he nursed 5oz from me based on the weights...which also leads me to believe what he's getting from the bottles isn't too much.  I do thank everyone that has responded however I don't believe he is being overfed at all based on so many factors, plus he hasn't increased in his feeding as much as my supply has dropped.

I appreciate the help and advice but my biggest concern is about dropping from 30-35oz pumped a day to 15-20oz pumped all of a sudden.  I was just curious if anyone else experienced this, if it was normal, and if there was anything that could be done to help it increase again.  I want to be able to keep up with my baby as I planned on BF for a year so I was really hoping to be able to make it work.

I'm sure stress from work is a huge factor and I'm really trying to combat that (I have a very high level position at a local college) but I was honestly just looking for any other tips that might help maintain and increase my supply a bit more.  DS is and has been a big eater since the beginning and I honestly just want to keep up with him a little while longer, even if it ends up not being the full year as I had originally wanted.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagelilbit255:

When he takes a bottle if he doesn't want anymore he swats it away and won't take it back even when offered, which leads me to believe he's not overfed.  Even when nursing in the past if he's done even before I stop flowing he'll spit out the nipple and won't take it back when offered.  When doing a weight before/after feeding at the pedi's office at his 2 month he nursed 5oz from me based on the weights...which also leads me to believe what he's getting from the bottles isn't too much.

I appreciate the help and advice but my biggest concern is about dropping from 30-35oz pumped a day to 15-20oz pumped all of a sudden.  Just curious if anyone else experienced this, if it was normal, and if there was anything that could be done to help it increase again.  I want to be able to keep up with my baby as I planned on BF for a year so I was really hoping to be able to make it work.

sorry mama I'm sure this is hard. Alright, here's what I would do (but I've never been in your position)...eat oatmeal every day for breakfast, make sure your drinking tons of water, take Fenugreek, drink dark beer, make lactation cookies (did you say you did that?) You could also try calling a LC?

You could add another pumping session somewhere too or pump in the car? Keep pictures of your LO around when you pump and try to think about him...it will encourage letdown. You could also try "power pumping" Here is a good article from kellymom: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/

Some mamas just don't respond to the pump that well and maybe it's taken your body a while to realize that. Your baby will always be better at getting milk from you than the pump will :/  I hope your supply goes back up soon!

My little man at 0-1-2

• Options
    I would also suggest drinking lots of water.  One lactation consultant said that women in third world countries can keep up with their babies, and the factor that seems to allow it is the amount of water consumed.  It is the first time I heard it, and I am not sure how true it is, but I had my milk dry up with my DS so I have been guzzling water this time around.  I haven't had any drop in supply, so this may be it...or it could be something totally unrelated. It never hurts to stay hydrated, though.

• Options
    imagewatermellens:
    imagelilbit255:

When he takes a bottle if he doesn't want anymore he swats it away and won't take it back even when offered, which leads me to believe he's not overfed.  Even when nursing in the past if he's done even before I stop flowing he'll spit out the nipple and won't take it back when offered.  When doing a weight before/after feeding at the pedi's office at his 2 month he nursed 5oz from me based on the weights...which also leads me to believe what he's getting from the bottles isn't too much.

I appreciate the help and advice but my biggest concern is about dropping from 30-35oz pumped a day to 15-20oz pumped all of a sudden.  Just curious if anyone else experienced this, if it was normal, and if there was anything that could be done to help it increase again.  I want to be able to keep up with my baby as I planned on BF for a year so I was really hoping to be able to make it work.

sorry mama I'm sure this is hard. Alright, here's what I would do (but I've never been in your position)...eat oatmeal every day for breakfast, make sure your drinking tons of water, take Fenugreek, drink dark beer, make lactation cookies (did you say you did that?) You could also try calling a LC?

You could add another pumping session somewhere too or pump in the car? Keep pictures of your LO around when you pump and try to think about him...it will encourage letdown. You could also try "power pumping" Here is a good article from kellymom: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/

Some mamas just don't respond to the pump that well and maybe it's taken your body a while to realize that. Your baby will always be better at getting milk from you than the pump will :/  I hope your supply goes back up soon!

Thank you.  I've been in touch with the LC from the hospital I delivered at, but I'm not too happy with her.  She always tells me everything is normal and not to worry about it.

It really is hard, but hopefully some of these things will help!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagespring_time:
    I would also suggest drinking lots of water.  One lactation consultant said that women in third world countries can keep up with their babies, and the factor that seems to allow it is the amount of water consumed.  It is the first time I heard it, and I am not sure how true it is, but I had my milk dry up with my DS so I have been guzzling water this time around.  I haven't had any drop in supply, so this may be it...or it could be something totally unrelated. It never hurts to stay hydrated, though.

Thank you!  I pretty much only drink water and all throughout pregnancy and even now I'm drinking an average of 100oz a day.  Maybe because I'm running around and talking more at work I need to up my water intake more.  

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"