Natural Birth
Options

Cervical regression?

Let me preface this by saying I know cervical checks can be fairly pointless and I know it's no indication of when I'll actually go into labor and I'm planning to go to around 41 weeks so I'm not in a hurry. :) That said, I've gotten checked the last three weeks and am pretty confused now.

At 36 weeks I was 2cm, and 70% effaced.

At 37 weeks I was 2cm and 75% effaced.

Today at 38w1d I was like a fingertip dilated and only 50% effaced. Also baby went from 0 station to -1 station.

My dr said it could be because she's moved up and because my bladder was full. I have heard in labor stories (specifically from Ina May's spinchter law in her book) that sometimes cervical progress can stall or regress because a woman feels threatened or stressed. I was definitively stressing before my apt so maybe that played a part too. I had to wait for over an hour and a half to see the dr and it was like a million degrees in there and I was feeling physically ill from the heat and I did have to pee really badly. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen either in labor or during checks? I'm trying not to let it bum me out but it's hard.

TIA!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
~DD Born! 2013~
~DD due! 2015~

Re: Cervical regression?

• Options
    CelynCelyn member
    Same doctor did each check?  Seems like the baby was putting more pressure on the cervix before.  There could be several reason for that.  Shy sphincters at this point is less likely reason than merely a change in position.  A flexed, posterior baby head can present on the cervix in such a way as to put more pressure on the cervix early... making it appear that baby is lower in station, when it's not.  If the baby turned her head and got in a more optimal position, that could change the cervical data and station assessment.  Since you aren't in labor yet, not of that really matters much though.  I do see regression in labor, but not commonly.
  • Options
    vcabbywvcabbyw member

I know this wont be much help but its been explained to me that cervical checks aren't an exact science. Being disappointed is the main reason I will be refusing to be checked unless I am seriously facing an induction, and having this knowledge may be used to make an decision on which route to take.

Just keep reminding yourself that it has nothing to do on how soon your LO will arrive. Maybe consider not being checked for a while? You can be having progression towards labor without knowing the numbers :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I vaguely remember that part of the book but I thought Ina May was talking about active labor specifically. I know my friend's cervix began swelling at 8cm and went back to 5 or 6cm, this was after 30+ hours of labor and she needed a csection after being transferred from a birth center. I think it could be the person doing the checks like PP have said. Last time I was PG my fundal measurements began being inconsistent with whichever midwife was measuring me. One kept measuring me "small" while the other I was always right on track.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

If it was a different person, it could be a matter of opinion. Check out how much a cm is - and then realize they're working by feel in the dark.

And thanks for reminding me to decline cervical checks. Stick out tongue

• Options

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, and it's why I don't get checks. Worry about this never crosses my mind as a result, and babies still come.  Smile

• Options

Ha, yeah, I never got checked till I was in labor with my son- my MW practice didn't do it till 40 weeks. But I was antsy to know this time. I'm not really discouraged just confused.

To clarify though- it was the same doctor each time.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"