Success after IF
Options

Would this bother you?

So DH and I left LO with my in-laws over the holiday weekend at a trailer they have up on a lake here in Texas.  We stayed in a hotel nearby.  Long story short, in-laws mentioned on the second day that they had taken LO out on their golf-cart driving around. The problem is, the roads around the property where they stay were insanely busy this weekend.  There is a gas station right nearby.  The road feeds into a state park where there is a boat launch and into two campgrounds so there was a ton of people driving their huge trucks pulling boats up and down that road...and alot of them probably drinking.  The road is very narrow and curvy and heavily wooded.  All it takes is one person taking a curve too fast and hitting that golf cart and LO is now splattered on someone's windshield.  I'm pretty sure taking an 8.5 month old on a golf cart on a road isn't even legal much less a good idea. 

So I talked to DH that I wanted him to tell the in-laws not to do this again...especially on a busy, holiday weekend.  DH didn't agree with me at first, but after I explained the dangers, he acted like he agreed that it was not a good idea.  (Backstory: We have had major problems in the past between FIL and myself--he was so disrespectful of me and DH refused to say anythint to him that we ended up in counseling over it.)  At any rate, in-laws start talking about taking LO out on the golf cart again on this busy road.  DH says NOTHING.  This is after we have already discussed it when they were not around and DH agreed that it was not a good idea.  I could not say "Don't do this" because anything coming from me would just invoke FIL starting a fight with me.  He respects what DH says, but if something comes from me then forget it.  So when we are leaving that evening, I bring it up with DH and he immediately turns the car around and goes back in and basically says that I don't want them  taking LO out on the golf cart. 

This entire situation upsets me.  #1 I think that both in-laws and DH should have better sense than to think it is okay to take LO out on a golf-cart on a busy road on a holiday weekend that is very narrow and you can't see around corners.  #2 I am super annoyed that I get painted as the fall guy and made to feel like I'm being a chump when all I am doing is looking out for LO's safety.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Would this bother you?

• Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    I would absolutely be pissed at MH for handling it that way, but that definitely does sound like something he would have done too.  I think your concerns about the dangers of the golf cart in that type of area, and especially on a holiday weekend where people are drinking, are completely legit.  So would it bother me?  Heck yeah. 
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Yes, this would bother me.

1. It's a bad idea (IMO) to have an 8.5 month old in a golf cart anywhere, yet alone on a ROAD with other vehicles.

2. Your DH doesn't appear to have your back. He is coming across as being very disrespectful of you by not being your PARTNER.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    I would be pissed! YH should support you in this, especially since he agrees with you! I would also be upset with your IL's for having such poor judgement. It's all fun until something happens. Not to be a downer, but my brother saw a toddler almost killed this weekend because some idiot was driving a side by side around with the toddler in his lap no helmet, no seatbelts and flipped it. The machine landed on his head and the poor baby was unconscious. So, yeah, maybe it sounded like fun, but it's not safe!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    Yes, it would bother me. No, it is absolutely not okay to take an 8 month old in a golf cart at all. It doesn't matter how busy the road is. It is dangerous and I would guess not even legal. Yes, it would bother me that your dh threw you under the bus. Actually, if my ILs didn't have enough common sense to figure out that taking LO in a golf cart was unsafe, I wouldn't leave LO with them. I would take LO to the hotel.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    ccamccam member

imageDragonfly1226:
    Yes, it would bother me. No, it is absolutely not okay to take an 8 month old in a golf cart at all. It doesn't matter how busy the road is. It is dangerous and I would guess not even legal. Yes, it would bother me that your dh threw you under the bus. Actually, if my ILs didn't have enough common sense to figure out that taking LO in a golf cart was unsafe, I wouldn't leave LO with them. I would take LO to the hotel.

This exactly.  I wouldn't give them a chance to make that mistake twice. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    imageccam:

imageDragonfly1226:

This exactly.  I wouldn't give them a chance to make that mistake twice. 

Honestly, it has made me doubt their judgment and made me question whether I should leave LO with them again. Maybe next time it isn't the golf cart, but maybe as he gets older its letting LO play with a gun (FIL is a big gun enthusiast) or ride on their 4-wheeler. To me, it shows a serious lack of judgment and I somewhat even question my DH's judgment that he doesn't see a problem with it!

• Options

imageDragonfly1226:
    Actually, if my ILs didn't have enough common sense to figure out that taking LO in a golf cart was unsafe, I wouldn't leave LO with them. I would take LO to the hotel.

This. I'm sorry YH is being an a$$. I think you guys need a refresher with the counselor. Your child's safety is both of your responsibility. If cant correct his parents and set limitations on unsafe behavior, you can't leave LO with them.  

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Options
    ELF4321ELF4321 member
    Yes, I would be really angry on both scores. I am fortunate that MH will speak up with his family when necessary, because that's the way it should be. YH needs to realize that HE is the parent in this situation, and it is up to him to speak up and make sure your ILs don't put your child in any danger. I am angry on your behalf right now.

• Options

GL, I've been there ; )

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • Options
    SaraevhSaraevh member

Um, I'd be pissed as hell if my in-laws were stupid enough to take my 8 month old on a golf cart in general let alone on a busy ROAD.  

AND I'd be pissed as hell if my husband didn't say anything ON HIS OWN about it.  You are no chump, girl.  Just a concerned Mom.

That is RIDICULOUS.   

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• Options

Thanks for the responses.  I am really not happy with DH about this...plus, he also ticked me off related to another more minor issue with his parents.  Basically, he agreed to one thing and then completely renigged on his word when he got around his parents.  I tried bringing it up in the car and trying to talk about it, but he was like, "Not now. I don't want to deal with this right now."

I'm a little miffed, too, at how he has been handling our mornings. Basically, I am always the one who gets home by the time the nanny needs to be off in the evening...he doesn't usually drag in until an hour later.  I tried asking him to split this with me, but it never works out because even if he says he will get home, somehow he doesn't. In exchange, I expect him to handle LO in the morning so I can get to work early. Only he isn't taking care of LO in the mornings.  He is sleeping in late and leaving it to me making sure that I inevitably end up not getting to work as early as I would like to.  Usually this means I work through lunch.  This has been especially bad lately because I'm completely over-burdened at work...which is a completely different issue.

IDK, I hate feeling like I'm just b**ching at him. But, at the same time, I feel like I have valid complaints and I need to be heard...especially when it comes to the situation with his parents because it is already such a sore spot in our relationship.

• Options

Yes, that would bother me. Maybe your DH doesn't deserve to get baby free nights if he can't remember to tell the sitters your clear expectations on how to care for a child.

It is super hard when you can't trust your ILs to make the right decisions when babysitting (in my own case like not leaving the baby in a sh!tty diaper for hours because you don't want to change it.) but even harder if you feel like you and your spouse aren't on the same team. It isn't fair for you to be the heavy all the time. :(

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Can you go back to counseling on the in-law issue?  My in-laws are a bit crazy, okay, my MIL is actually clinically crazy and I've always been so grateful that my husband and I are on the same page with them.  When we make decisions about what they are and are not allowed to do with the kids, he is always the one to deliver the news and it's never in a "and Kelly doesn't want you doing" whatever.  He always says "and don't do this or that" and it's clear that it's not just my decision, but his as well.  They are his parents and so he is in charge of dealing with them.

As for your mornings and nights, I'd stop b*tching and just start quietly expecting.  If he said he would do something, like take care of LO in the mornings then assume he meant it and expect that.  You should be unavailable somehow, like either for a few days get up even earlier and get out the door before LO wakes up, or be in an extra long shower or whatever you need to do to make it clear that he needs to step up.  I would suggest the same for at night.  You say even if he says he's going to be home he doesn't make it home in time so why not plan a dinner out with a friend so that he is the only parent who is going to be home.  He's falling back on your always being there.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    imageIBackBevo:

Thanks for the responses.  I am really not happy with DH about this...plus, he also ticked me off related to another more minor issue with his parents.  Basically, he agreed to one thing and then completely renigged on his word when he got around his parents.  I tried bringing it up in the car and trying to talk about it, but he was like, "Not now. I don't want to deal with this right now."

I'm a little miffed, too, at how he has been handling our mornings. Basically, I am always the one who gets home by the time the nanny needs to be off in the evening...he doesn't usually drag in until an hour later.  I tried asking him to split this with me, but it never works out because even if he says he will get home, somehow he doesn't. In exchange, I expect him to handle LO in the morning so I can get to work early. Only he isn't taking care of LO in the mornings.  He is sleeping in late and leaving it to me making sure that I inevitably end up not getting to work as early as I would like to.  Usually this means I work through lunch.  This has been especially bad lately because I'm completely over-burdened at work...which is a completely different issue.

IDK, I hate feeling like I'm just b**ching at him. But, at the same time, I feel like I have valid complaints and I need to be heard...especially when it comes to the situation with his parents because it is already such a sore spot in our relationship.

Have you guys talked about your expectations in the morning, or are you just assuming that he will help out?

I was having the same problem in the morning as you are. This may be bad advice, but it's what I did and luckily it worked for me. I just left. I got up, got myself ready, and I left. This forced DH to get DS ready. Did he get mad? Probably, but what was his argument going to be, that he had to take care of HIS son? I'm sure it pissed him off initially, but now he's over it and on the two days that he has to get DS ready by himself, he just does it. Sure, I got a couple of calls from DC at first "DS is missing this, DS doesn't have this today..." so now I pack the DC bag and the rest is up to DH.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

• Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards