C-sections

Rooming in?

I had always planned on having the baby room in with me but with the csection and being a single mom will that be possible?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rooming in?

• Talk to your nurses about the hospital policy.  When my twins were born, I sent DH home at night so DS1 could sleep in his own house and his own bed. The hospital policy where I delivered wouldn't allow you to room in the first night after a c/s if you were going to be alone (they'd let me keep them for as long as I wanted, but when I was ready to sleep they had to go to the nursery for the first night).  I don't understand the reasoning, I could've cared for them that first night, but they would bring them when they were hungry or whenever I wanted them anyway, so they really were only in the nursery while I slept).  GL.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • My hospital advocates rooming in. I think most do now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I delivered, my daughter roomed in with me the whole time. The first night I couldn't sit up to get her out of the bassinet, so I just paged the nurse and she handed the baby to me to nurse. Not a problem, but I've heard some hospitals are less baby friendly. I'd ask about it on your hospital tour and talk to your baby's Ped about it - my Ped has rights where I delivered and was able to override decisions of the hospital on-call Ped. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • There wasn't a nursery in the hospital where I delivered DS, so he stayed with me. DH was there the first few nights, so that helped.

When DS WASN'T there, I had a system so I didn't have to get up and down. I pulled the bassinet right next to the bed and raised my bed to about the level of the bassinet. All I had to do was reach over (carefully) to pick him up.

• Lucas spent most of his time with me. I sent him to the nursery for a couple hours at night so I could get some rest.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • tracy41tracy41 member
    Totally possible! I had someone with me the first night but everyone bailed on me after that and I had LO with me the whole time. I knew I was going to on my own so I was really proactive about getting moving. If worse comes to worse and you're in a lot of pain the nurses will be there to help. They aren't just going to leave you and LO alone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did it. I was a single mom and completely alone pretty much the whole time. He only went to the nursery when I showered and when they had to weigh him. Honestly, I just held him the whole time. 

ETA: er... I *am* a single mom... and was at the time of the c/s. Clarity fail. ;) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was a single mom w/ DS & he roomed in. He & I were never seperated. Like PP's have said the nurses were very helpful & took care of any help I might have needed. I second checking your hospital's policy though just to be aware. It seems like in most hospitals in my area rooming in is the norm even with c/s. The nursery at my hospital is a level 3 NICU and really only intended for babies with serious health issues. The previous hospital I delivered at didn't even have a nursery any more.
    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was allowed to room in as long as I had another person with me. However, DS had tracheomalacia, so I chose to send him to the nursery at night to be monitored. This time, as long as there are no issues, I'll room in and have someone with me at night. I do not recommend being alone at night anyway right after a c-section.
  • imagerockyrollgirl:
    My hospital advocates rooming in. I think most do now.

Yes, this!

DH was only able to stay the 1st night because he had a mandatory class that he had to take for work, so I was alone half of the 2nd day thru when I was discharged around 8pm on the 3rd day. It was fine! I was up and moving around/walking before DH had to leave. I never sent DD to the nursery. The only time she left us was when she went for her hearing test.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• You can choose whatever you want. We had DS sleep in the nursery all three nights and my DH was there the whole time and I also EBF. It is major surgery and I was so drugged and in so much pain I wanted to rest as much as I could before I got home and it was all on us.
    I was also a nervous wreck and felt better that ppl were watching my DS 24 7...knowing that once we were home I wouldn't be able to stay up all night long and stare at him.
    I'm going to try for a VBAC next time and try drug free, but may still have LO be watched in the nursery for my own comfort.
    Totally up to you though!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Yes. It's not impossible to get out of bed, and nurses are there to help.

ETA: re: comment re: getting in and out of bed with baby in arms, you dont have to. Get out of bed, pick up baby from bassinet, sit in chair to nurse, put baby back, get back in bed. It is slow going, but it works. DH slept through the 2nd and 3rd nights we were there and I did fine.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Our hospital only does rooming in, but the nurses were fantastic that first night about coming in to help you up, pass you the babe, etc. I found by the second night I was able to grab him ok without too much pain on my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"