March 2013 Moms
Options

Side sleeper

So I have noticed that my LO has been attempting to turn on his side during his exercise time. Tonight he fell asleep in his crib and he has now decided that he wants to sleep on his side instead of his back. I have turned him at least 4 times in the past hour and he just rolls right back to his side. I am so worried because I am afraid he is going to roll over and not get enough fresh air. Any suggestions on how I could get him to stay on his back?

Re: Side sleeper

• Options
    Once they start rolling, there's not much you can do to stop it.

The nurse in the hospital commented about how much happier DD was sleeping on her side and how she's Be a side sleeper...9 weeks later, and she still is!
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My LO has been a side sleeper since he was about 5 weeks. He had a flat spot on the right side in the back of his head because when he slept on his back he favored one side due to torticollis. So we started putting him on his side and would roll up a towel or receiving blanket and stick that in front of him to prevent him from rolling over on his stomach. As he's grown he has gotten stronger so he can now move the rolled up receiving blanket as he moves in his sleep.

Now I cover him with a very light blanket (use a receiving blanket if you're not comfortable with an actual blanket) from mid torso down and I tuck that under the rolled towel to hold in place to prevent him from rolling over to his tummy.

Side sleeping has worked for us so much better than back sleeping as he hates swaddling but he would constantly startle himself with his arms out. As he side sleeps his arms are naturally in a position to reduce startling.

This may not work for everybody as I understand that many people do not want anything in the crib with the baby. You have to find a happy medium that works for you and baby all the while trying to be as safe as possible. 

But this has worked for me since LO was 5 weeks and he is now 12 weeks.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Titus started sleeping on his side about a week and a half ago when he was roughly 10.5 weeks, at first it made us nervous but ever since he's been sleeping through the night! We both are side sleepers so it would figure he'd be more comfortable like that too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our LO LOVES sleeping on her side! If I roll her over she wakes up or doesn't sleep as soundly. Our pedi said if they can roll over and sleep it is fine that they are sleeping on their sides, because once they learn that skill, they can roll back if they can't breathe or aren't comfortable. Baby is starting to find his sleep positions :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"