Attachment Parenting
Options

bedsharers..how do you handle naps?

My 15 month dd has always slept in my bed with me at night. My problem is figuring out naps. I worry she will crawl/fall out of my bed. Previously I have either layed down with her in bed or held her on the couch for her morning nap and put her in her swing for her afternoon nap. My 4 yr old dd is out of preschool for the summer now and I think laying down with her, etc is going to get tougher. I was just curious how everyone else handles naptime. 

Thanks!!

Proud mommy to dd's Sarah & Kaylin & Abby bonus sons Trae & Trevor
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bedsharers..how do you handle naps?

• Options
    My DD's mattress is on the floor in her room. Half the time I nap with her and the other half of the time, I leave her room once she falls asleep. 

Her room does not have anything in it except for her bed, books and stuffed animals. She will knock on the door or cry for me as soon as she wakes up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We've been working on this as I'm about to start up my business for the summer. My mom is going to watch DD. 

Im reading the no cry nap solution. Im getting DD dressed comfortably, with socks and sleep sack. I drop the shades and nurse her until drowsy. I lay with her until she is pretty soundly asleep. I take my shirt off and put a pillow inside, tuck it close to her and slink out. I do put the monitor up so when I see her wake I go in and cuddle. I also have the fan going for white noise.

DD is 5 mo and not rolling in the sleep sack or crawling. You might try a twin mattress on the floor (which will eventually become her bed?). Good luck!

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I lie down with LO until she goes to sleep, only takes a few minutes, then I leave her. We have a bedrail.

She knows how to get off the bed by herself, and when she wakes up she comes and finds me, or she might grizzle and I go to her. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    ncbellencbelle member
    By that age I just laid them down on the bed once they were out.  We had bed rails so no rolling out in their sleep (or put them in their bed which was low to the ground).  And I was never far away so I'd hear them as soon as they woke up.  We also taught them to crawl out of the bed safely using a bench as soon as they could crawl - but neither kid ever did anything other than sit up and cry or call for me when they woke!
  • Options

We moved out mattress to the floor once LO got mobile and we taught him how to get out of bed feet first. Now that he's older, and bigger, we put the bed back up (like in the last month) and he can get down fine but not back up. 

After I get up I'll put a pillow on either side, and he's never rolled off in his sleep. It helps that we have a king-sized bed so he still has space to move and not be near the edge. You can also get a bed rail.

Whatever you do I would encourage you to teach LO how to get off the bed as well, because once LO got older he would try to get down on his own without waking me even if I did nap with him. And now he'll often just wake up and come out when he's done napping.

imageimage
  • Options

imagencbelle:
    By that age I just laid them down on the bed once they were out.  We had bed rails so no rolling out in their sleep (or put them in their bed which was low to the ground).  And I was never far away so I'd hear them as soon as they woke up.  We also taught them to crawl out of the bed safely using a bench as soon as they could crawl - but neither kid ever did anything other than sit up and cry or call for me when they woke!

Ditto this exactly.

If we were at my parent's I just lined the edge with pillows, just enough to prevent rolling.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! I am definitely going to work on teaching her how to get out of the bed by herself. I don't know why I get so nervous about leaving her by herself. I am never far. :)
    Proud mommy to dd's Sarah & Kaylin & Abby bonus sons Trae & Trevor
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have toddler rails on our bed and a video monitor so I'm usually in the room within seconds of him waking up anyway.

~ Married 10.30.04 ~
    DS1 born 12.31.11 ~ DS2 born 2.4.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"