Health & Exercise

Hardcore hiking stroller

Hi Ladies,

We went hiking with friends this weekend and got to see what we don't want in a stroller. Any recommendations for good hiking rollers that can handle rougher trails? My husband is not a fan of the single wheel in front. He is also very tall 6' 6'' and will need adjustable handle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hardcore hiking stroller

• Honestly, even the most hard core of strollers is going to be pretty limited in the kind of trails it can handle. I can't imagine choosing to use a stroller on any trail that isn't wheelchair accessible. Have you considered a baby carrier? We've done all our hiking with the LO strapped onto one or the other of us. Early on, we like soft structured carriers... we have a Gemini Beco, but the Ergo is probably more common. When the LO got big enough that he really wanted to see stuff, we switched to a frame pack.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the PP. I can't imagine trying to use a stroller on a rough hiking trail. We used the Ergo when the kids were younger, then switched to a Kelty backpack when they were a bit older. And now at 4 and 6 they hike themselves and the 6 year old carries her own pack when we go backpacking (of course she only carries our stove, her stuffed giraffe, her water bottle, and chap stick :) )
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I guess that is what we were figuring out.
  • We've used our BOB on several trails near our house and it's been fine.  You can manage up and over 6-8" obstacles like rocks or downed limbs/small trees with it.  It does have only a single wheel in front though.  I'm not sure I've seen any with 4 wheels that would handle a real hiking trail though.  FWIW, if the trail is that hardcore, you're not going to want to be pushing any stroller up it or trying to maneuver it down the trail with your baby inside, IMO.  I'd suggest a carrier as well.  We have a Kelty backpack carrier and DS loves it.  I used the Ergo when he was an infant but didn't like hiking with him strapped to my front as I couldn't see my feet at all and he was not yet old enough for a back carry in it.
  • B.O.B is probably the best, but it does have a single wheel in front- strollers with 4 wheels really aren't meant to go off pavement. But really, if the trail is bumpy it's not a good idea to push a stroller on it because babies don't have strong necks and their little brains get too jostled around. So either get a baby carrier or stick to paved/smooth trails.
  • Mountain Buggy strollers handle rough terrain well. They have the single wheel in front, but have an adjustable handle. You can also buy a car seat adaptor for some of the models. They are expensive but are worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"