C-sections
Options

Driving and Walking after C-section

About Driving: How long after a csection are you unable to drive? My csection is scheduled for Friday June 7th and my DH has off two weeks and goes back to work Monday June 23rd. Will I be able to drive by then or should I make plans for additional weeks of help? We will have the newborn as well as my 2.5 year old so I would rather not be stuck in the house every single day unless we have to. I know it is dependent on if you are on pain pills and all of that but I didn't know if there were requirements or not

About Walking: I know you want to be up and walking as soon as possible to help relieve gas but I'm curious how far/how long you are supposed to walk. Having a summer baby this time around I was hoping to be able to use my new BOB double stroller for walks while the weather is nice. I would have DH with me to push the stroller but I just don't want to overdo it! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Driving and Walking after C-section

• Options
    General consensus is 2w for driving (though my OB gave me permission to begin driving at 1w).  As far as walking, I would just see how you feel and go from there, maybe start with walking 10-15 minutes and then increase. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member

I drove around a week and half but I had been off the pain meds for a few days.

Walking may surprise you. I felt good enough to walk at 3 weeks, but not even 10 minutes into it, I was hurting so we turned around and went home. It took me a good month to be able to walk around the grocery store without hurting. I was walking in the hospital the morning after my c/s (it was at 8pm the previous night) and kept walking several times a day while the pain meds were working so I don't think it has anything to do with how quickly you get moving. Just take it slow and listen to your body, don't over do it.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto the others. I move around a lot but found walking a long distance the first few weeks would wear me out and I would be sore the next day.
  • Options
    smfdjosmfdjo member
    I was allowed to drive a week after my C-section.  I think these things will depend on your doctor.  My doctor said I could walk after four weeks.  As other said, take it slow because I would walk 30 mins and feel sore after. 
  • Options
    You should be fine driving as long as you aren't on pain meds. Walking should be fine. I walked after mine and the fresh air and exercise has been good for me. Just do what your body will tolerate and don't push it. I felt pretty much back to normal by 2 weeks.
  • Options
    I was driving days later and walking will be just like normal in two weeks or less. You will be amazed how easy the recovery really is. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"