Nurseries and Baby Gear

Say no to a travel system?

Mobile bumpers: Say no to a travel system? 

I've been researching the pros and cons of a wide variety of strollers and I have some final questions for BTDT moms. My husband and I are very active, so we will be getting a BOB stroller, and we will have an attachment for a Chicco car seat if necessary. We want a second stroller that is lighter and more maneuverable than the BOB for more general use, but we don't know what will work best. 

We will have the Chicco Keyfit 30 carseat, and we have read that the stroller that comes with it (if purchased as a travel system) leaves something to be desired. I've been looking at umbrella strollers and cannot determine what points are most important to consider. How early can our LO be in the stroller (with a carseat adapter if necessary)? I assume, perhaps wrongly, that if she's in the carseat, she can be in the stroller if it has the right adapter, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

What lightweight umbrella strollers do you all recommend? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Say no to a travel system?

• It really depends. With DS 1 we went with a snap n go and when he was 3 months old we went with the Uppababy Gluxe since DS wanted to look out at that point. I love our Gluxe it was so easy to use, recline, has a great UV sunshade. Cons it doesn't work with a car seat the basket was kinda small. Overall we liked the setup used both this weekend when DH I were out with both boys.

For a double I wanted something similar, however I was looking at Maclarens and ended up with a Valco Snap Duo since it was a little more lightweight. It's a neat stroller, easy to use one step open it has a huge basket. I believe the single is 12 lbs, which is just a lb more than the Gluxe. You can get a Chicco adaptor directly from Valco Baby. The only things I wish it had was soft fabric like the Gluxe and a UV sunshade option since DS 1 is really fair skinned.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • cast920cast920 member

Have you seen the Chicco Liteway Plus stroller? Its an umbrella stroller that accepts the keyfit. The stroller seat folds down and then you attach the car seat. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagecast920:

Have you seen the Chicco Liteway Plus stroller? Its an umbrella stroller that accepts the keyfit. The stroller seat folds down and then you attach the car seat. 

I'd say go for the Liteway Plus as well.  It functions as both a snap and go and an umbrella stroller, so between that and your BOB, you should be set.  

• I say go with the liteway plus. We have the regular liteway and love it, got it when ds was 5 months old. Prior to that we had a snap and go and used with our chicco key fit. If our liteway wasn't still going well I would so be buying the liteway plus.

It is easy to fold, lies flat so can be used with a little infant ( without cars seat attachment ), and doesn't take up much room in car.  

• Thank you for the feedback! That's just what I was hoping to find!

• ebp913ebp913 member
    I really like the Valco Snap as a lightweight stroller and it can take a Keyfit.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I think you would have a difficult transition from the BOB to a Chicco travel system stroller.  The Chicco is very bulky and does not have the nice easy use of the BOB.  

I have an UppaBaby vista that I used with the Graco car seat adapter until DD was old enough to use the seat.  Around when she was 1 1/2 y/o I bought a Uppababy umbrella stroller to take with us on vacation... I love it.   

ETA: Our UppaBaby umbrella is the G-Lite.  I like that it's light, easy to fold (even with 1 hand) and I could throw it over my stroller and carry while holding DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Have you considered baby wearing in those first month's instead of using a travel system? I see moms all the time with their monstrous travel systems and I personally just can't see myself pushing around so much extra weight and bulk for such a tiny babe. I vote for a carrier, or a snap n go if you must.

• I did exactly what you did: BOB + Chicco infant carsear with stroller attachment.  Loved this arrangement for getting out and about from when DD was a newborn.

I also purchase the Chicco snapNgo to use for shopping.  That was a lifesaver.  Even though it got retired when we switch to the convertible car seat it was still the best $99 I ever spent.

At 4 months I purchased the oh-so-lightweight and recline-able UppaBaby Glux.  Pricey but worth it!  Because it reclines you can use it from 3 months.

I never did purchase a full size stroller.

The only downside is that when shopping you can't hang bags off the Glux like you would be able to with a full size stroller. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"