February 2012 Moms

NBR - how to style this dress

I have a strapless dress from White House Black Market I bought several years ago and have never worn.  It was from the outlet store and seriously like 30 dollars.  I still have the tags on it!  Anyway, I've got 3 weddings coming up and I'm trying to see if I need to buy something or not.  I've got a J.Crew dress in a blue color - not teal but not sky blue either - but I think it will work for a summer wedding.  I will pair it with either my nude heels or will buy a pair of heeled sandals.  

This dress though, I don't know how to style it.  Since it is black and white - it is more black than white - like it has a black background and white flowery designs on it.  It has an attached belt that is black.  I will likely pair it with a cardigan since it is strapless and the wedding will be in a Catholic church.  I was thinking of doing a fun pop of color in the shoes and a black cardigan?  Or should I do a colored cardi and black shoes?  I will try to attach the picture if it is working - I had issues when I tried last time.  

https://i39.tinypic.com/293vtyv.jpg

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR - how to style this dress

• I'd say fun colored cardi and black shoes...and maybe fun colored necklace and bracelets to match the cardi.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Okay what color?  Would a kelly green be a good color?  Or a turquoise?  I thought red, but don't know how bright I want to go.  The wedding is in Austin so the location is a bit more open but I think the traditional church setting is what is throwing me.  I don't know details about the reception area yet either.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageklutzygrl26:
    OK so it may be the southerner in me, and I know fashion people say its not true any more, but I seriously don't like black shoes in the summer. Especially for a wedding. I would probably wear a white cardigan and either pink or yellow shoes with maybe a necklace or some piece of jewelry that pulls it all together.

I was going to get something really summery - something not peep toe but like a sandal so it wouldn't be heavy at all.  This is Texas so I don't want sweaty feet!  :)  But I see what you mean - I just feel funny wearing a white cardigan for some reason?  Plus all the cardigans that would work are really thin so you would see through it and that bothers me.

Also, I'm just going to get a cotton cardigan, since the dress is a cotton material.  The style is okay though right?  I'm not looking for silk or anything so I think it will be dressy enough for a 2pm wedding?  

• mkarnsmkarns member

imageklutzygrl26:
    OK so it may be the southerner in me, and I know fashion people say its not true any more, but I seriously don't like black shoes in the summer. Especially for a wedding. I would probably wear a white cardigan and either pink or yellow shoes with maybe a necklace or some piece of jewelry that pulls it all together.

Ditto. I'd go white or black cardigan with a colored shoe.

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've lived in Texas my whole life so I know what I'm getting into!  :)  But I'm thinking white is off limits - I just don't feel comfortable wearing anything white to a wedding at all.  

I will wear it with a black cardigan - a 3/4 sleeve - with some plum heels I found by Badgley Mischka for 80 dollars!  :)

Now my concern - I have a brown (espresso?) dress for a second wedding I have coming up (same family so I don't want to wear the same thing to both weddings) - would plum shoes work with an espresso dress?   

• Turquoise beads/bracelet (i'm thinking cheap here... Claires?) and a white cardigan would be fine... You could do no jewelry and pink shoes and a white sweater?  GL!
  • Okay on second thought here is an idea - I can buy some awesome rose - pink high heels and wear them with the espresso dress and the black and white one (with a black cardigan).  Yay or nay?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"