Preemies
Options

BF question

I've read some posts on how long and difficult it is to get BF going. But I'm curious, how long did it take to get even a single drop of colostrum or anything?

CS was Friday morning and I've been pumping every 23 hours for 20 minutes since then. I massage and look at pics of DD. LC suggested increasing to every 2 hours for 30 minutes so I've started that. I can't pump by DD's bed but they have a pumping room down the hall from her.

So, I know it takes time to get a supply going but how much time to even get 1 drop?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BF question

• Options
    My baby was born at 36 weeks. She was born last Sunday and it took me until about Wednesday evening into Thursday morning to see more of a milk like liquid rather than colostrum. 
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MinaE01MinaE01 member
    It took me a good 3-4 days to get anything other than a few drops of colostrum. My baby was born at 32w3d, so I don't think my body was quite ready. Unfortunately, my supply never established, but hopefully you'll have no problems once the milk does come in.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

In the beginning, I pumped religiously to tell my body to produce but for actually getting colostrum out, I found hand expression to be much more effective. An LC showed me how to hand express into a spoon and then use a syringe to suck it up. DD was taking 2 mls at every feed in the beginning, so a couple of drops was a whole feed :).

ETA: I had a c-section and it took about a week for me to be getting even .5 oz at each pumping session. Eventually it came in all the way and I got up to a full supply of 26ish oz pumped per day by the second month of our NICU stay. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"