January 2013 Moms
Options

Had to have it, now you don't use it

So, just out of curiosity, what were some of your must have items for your Los that you could have done without these first few months? What are some items you find yourself using regularly that you wish you had more? I just realized how much baby stuff we have accumulated in 4.5 months, and how much of it was unnecessary! Sorry if this has been asked previously! I was one of those ftm that thought I needed everything and now realize I could have gone without so many things!
First, I have soo many baby towels! I'm sure we could have done without some because we use our towels for Ds occasionally. We have way too many bath products in general! Definitely could have done without so many actual outfits for the first few months and baby shoes! We are lucky if his socks even stay on his feet! Early on I don't think it was a priority to have two nice strollers, stroller bunting, and sooo many bottles! I wish we had started off with more diapers and burp cloths! It really is true, babies need so few items the first few months!!

Re: Had to have it, now you don't use it

• Options
    DCKateDCKate member
    We received a ridiculous amount of cute dresses and outfits for DD. you know what she lived in? Sleepers.

Less on the cute and more sleepers and onesies!

Baby shoes were a huge waste as well.
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • Options
    ambmamaambmama member
    I made a huge deal out of having a bassinet. He slept in it maybe 2 weeks and didn't sleep well. We ended up putting him in his crib pretty early and coslept for 3 weeks during a rough patch. The bassinet was pretty useless. We also had way too many newborn diapers since LO only wore them until his cord fell off. I wish I had extra pump parts earlier!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    SPK926SPK926 member

imageTarHeelMomToBe:
    My brest friend...only used it 2 or 3 times. 

See and I use mine still daily. I can't stand the Boppy for nursing. My Brest Friend was some of the best money I ever spent!!!

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I had to have hooded towels as well, I remember my mom said she'd buy them for us and I was 38 weeks pregnant panicking telling her to hurry up and buy them or else our baby will be born and we'd have nothing to dry him off with. We've used them maybe twice since DS has been born. We also never used the no-scratch mitts we bought and the breastfeeding pillow I used the first week now I just use whatever pillow is closest or none at all. If we only knew what we know now, oh well I guess we'll know for our next one!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ambmamaambmama member
    imageOakTreeMommy:
    I had to have hooded towels as well, I remember my mom said she'd buy them for us and I was 38 weeks pregnant panicking telling her to hurry up and buy them or else our baby will be born and we'd have nothing to dry him off with. We've used them maybe twice since DS has been born. We also never used the noscratch mitts we bought and the breastfeeding pillow I used the first week now I just use whatever pillow is closest or none at all. If we only knew what we know now, oh well I guess we'll know for our next one!

Funny, we had only one pair of the no scratch mits and needed more! DS was so bad with scratching up his face! He wore them for at least 2 months when he slept and I had to buy a bunch more!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

• Options
    82Sonia82Sonia member
    Mitts! I got a ton of them and I of course registered for the super expensive ones and used them one time. Crib bedding also seems stupid since she never sleeps in it.

• Options

My Brest friend 

Moby, although it was my gateway into the woven wrap world.

I did not need three sheets...two would've been enough.

I bought this newbie breastfeeding kit with cold packs in it and I never used any of it. I was soooo sure it would come in handy, but I just used washcloth for warm/cold compresses.

NB clothes and diapers...DR was 9lbs 5oz at birth so we stuffed her in them for like, a week to get some use out of them, but yeah...could've done without.  

• Options
    imageDCKate:
    We received a ridiculous amount of cute dresses and outfits for DD. you know what she lived in? Sleepers.

Less on the cute and more sleepers and onesies!

Baby shoes were a huge waste as well.

This is so true. While I was pregnant, I bought cute dresses and shoes thinking I would play dress up with my little girl....not! They all went to goodwill. DD also lived in sleepers the first three months.
  • Options

I HAD to have the Boppy... hate it. I hope to get more use out of it now that DS is sitting up.

Swaddle blankets. I never swaddled DS. I do still use them as burp clothes though. 

Rockabye Baby CDs. Cute baby versions of rock bands. Fun to listen to the first time... now they are nails on a chalkboard to me. DH loves them and swears by them though so they aren't a total waste.

• Options
    imagetrombgirl:

I HAD to have the Boppy... hate it. I hope to get more use out of it now that DS is sitting up.

Swaddle blankets. I never swaddled DS. I do still use them as burp clothes though. 

Rockabye Baby CDs. Cute baby versions of rock bands. Fun to listen to the first time... now they are nails on a chalkboard to me. DH loves them and swears by them though so they aren't a total waste.

DD1 LOVED her rockabye baby weezer cd.  I haven't even busted it out for DD2.  We definitely have second child syndrome in this house.  

• Options
    imageSPK926:

imageTarHeelMomToBe:

See and I use mine still daily. I can't stand the Boppy for nursing. My Brest Friend was some of the best money I ever spent!!!

Same here, I LOVE my breast friend :)

The pack n play has been a total waste thus far

Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member
    I opened and then never used both the bottle warmer and the Angelcare monitor.

He also never fit in newborn diapers or clothes.
  • Options
    The Boppy at first. Now we use it for his sitting up practice but is sucked for breast feeding.
    The swing wasn't necessary.
    Shoes are crap.
    Baby music. My kid loves Bad Religion and Mumford and Sons.
    Pretty much all baby socks.
    Mittens and beanies. He wore no mits ever and pretty much none of the hats fit him. He had two we rotated through those first few weeks and one was hand knitted by a friend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSPK926:

imageTarHeelMomToBe:

Same here! Use it everytime I nurse him in the glider. Love it!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    82Sonia82Sonia member
    I'm shocked so many people don't use their Boppy's. I bought two so I could always have a clean one! I LOVE them.

• Options

haha, I love this thread....everyone's experiences are so different!! 

Loved the boppy. In fact, there was a short period around 2 months where I stopped using it, and I think it gave me terrible neck pain. Once I started using it again, the pain stopped immediately. However, now that he's bigger I don't need it anymore.

As for the NB cute clothes....I learned from DD what you all are saying and tried to be more practical this time around, but then I almost didn't have enough cute clothes for when we did go out! haha! Same thing happened with his 3 month clothes. Oh well. 

Love my carriers--couldn't live without them. I have the Moby, ring sling, and Beco, and like them all for different reasons.

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• Options
    imageMichieU79:
    We have 3 different carriers because I really thought I'd be a huge baby wearer. nbsp;I just loved the idea of it, still do. nbsp;However, Jack HATES to be held facing in. nbsp;So, I got about 8 weeks use so far out of the ergo and al oat zero use out of the moby and another sling I bought. nbsp;I still am keeping my fingers crossed he'll change his mind, but the last time I tried the ergo he screamed bloody murder for the entire dog walk. nbsp;I already packed up the two wraps for 2.nbsp;

C hates being worn too. And Iove the idea and it worked well if he's out cd when traveling but if he wakes up he goes batshit crazy! You can wear him face out in the ergo can't you? We have a sling that I used a dozen times that'll go to consignment. The infantino sash carrier is like the ergo and he can be face out when he has full head control which I think he does so I might try that when we go see daddy this weekend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    He hated the swing and I only use the boppy now to sit DS up in. he also only used the bouncer about five times.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    imagejobiann:
    He hated the swing and I only use the boppy now to sit DS up in. he also only used the bouncer about five times.

Luke also hated his swing!! I purposely only got the small one because I heard some babies don't like it. In the early stages I was reading how some of you needed the swing and rnp all the time! Also never used the boppy for its intended use; definitely made a good pillow for our road trip though ! I maybe would have done more research on carseat carriers; I love the peg perego, but dang that thing is heavy, and Ds is maybe only 14lbs now since he was 13 on the 8th! Half way motivated to install the convertible and call it a day. Oh I also had four snow suits, needless to say south jersey had no snow, and a very mild winter!
  • Options

I used everything at one point or another. I got a rocker chair instead of a bouncer and I used it for his naps when he was tiny (it has legs that will keep it still and laying flat) now that he's bigger he loves to make it move!!

His swing is a life saver!! and it has like 5 different positions so I can still use it now  that hes more active and doesn't want to lay down much

activity gym is great for tummy time

the boppy saved me when he was small and now I use it to sit him up alot

He's in his crib most of the night

I really cannot think of anything he doesn't use, but I never really went crazy about having things before he was born, alot of it was acquired after his birth 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagecaseylynw:

I used everything at one point or another. I got a rocker chair instead of a bouncer and I used it for his naps when he was tiny (it has legs that will keep it still and laying flat) now that he's bigger he loves to make it move!!

His swing is a life saver!! and it has like 5 different positions so I can still use it now  that hes more active and doesn't want to lay down much

activity gym is great for tummy time

the boppy saved me when he was small and now I use it to sit him up alot

He's in his crib most of the night

I really cannot think of anything he doesn't use, but I never really went crazy about having things before he was born, alot of it was acquired after his birth 

same here! i can't think of anything we haven't used frequently! i got everything while i was pregnant but did alot of research on what i did and didn't need. the pack n play was maybe not needed since he could have slept in his crib from day one and we decided to put him in there from 4 weeks on, but now its at my moms and he uses it for naps there a couple times a week. we loved scratch mits, still use hooded towels, love his bouncy seat. i love everything we got! 

• Options
    image82Sonia:
    I'm shocked so many people don't use their Boppy's. I bought two so I could always have a clean one! I LOVE them.

Me too! I love my boppy. DD napped in hers for the first month, yes, I'm a bad momma for letting her do this but this was the only place she would nap. Now I use it to feed DD and prop her in the sitting position.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"