Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Heavier Baby = Late Crawler?

A friend of mine at work told me that she thinks LO hasn't crawled yet, because she's a heavier baby. Personally, I didn't think she was that big. She was 17 lbs at her six month appointment (slightly above average on percentiles). I didn't really know what to say to her. I guess compared to her twins, LO does look bigger (they're a few weeks apart).

Anyway, is there truth to that? Anyone with heavier babies have late crawlers? 

She's been rocking back and forth on her hands and knees for weeks, but she doesn't seem to want to crawl. She'll move backwards when she army crawls, but won't move forward. She can also pull herself up onto her knees now, but she's very wobbly when she tries to stand. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Heavier Baby = Late Crawler?

• I think most babies crawl between 7 and 9 months? But some babies don't crawl at all. Your LO is not delayed at all. And in fact sounds like she's just about there as the things you mentioned are exactly what my daughter did right before she crawled. In fact, what was the point of this woman telling you this? So you could feel bad that your child is normal and you can't get your child to do the natural progressions faster? Definitely doesn't sound like a good friend to me...you can't compare children to each other. Each does things on their own time. Just because one does something earlier than another doesn't make the first child better than the other. Sounds to me like your LO is doing things right on time! :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageskate88:
    I think most babies crawl between 7 and 9 months? But some babies don't crawl at all. Your LO is not delayed at all. And in fact sounds like she's just about there as the things you mentioned are exactly what my daughter did right before she crawled. In fact, what was the point of this woman telling you this? So you could feel bad that your child is normal and you can't get your child to do the natural progressions faster? Definitely doesn't sound like a good friend to me...you can't compare children to each other. Each does things on their own time. Just because one does something earlier than another doesn't make the first child better than the other. Sounds to me like your LO is doing things right on time! :

All of this.

I don't consider that to be a big baby at all. My DS was 16 pounds at his 4 month, well above average. He hasn't had any issues with development and is rolling both ways now at almost 5 months.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Loading the player...
  • My oldest was super skinny. He didn't crawl until 10 months. No pt required. He's a perfectly fine athletic 6 yr old. Weight has nothing to do with it. It's personality and motor skill driven.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah. I think your friend is full of crap, TBH. Every single baby is different. We've seen that from the replies to your thread already :)

It's so hard not to play the comparison game though - I know exactly how you feel. Your baby is doing just fine! :)

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My kid is huge, over 25 lbs, and started crawling last week at exactly 8 months. So no, I don't think heavy babies equal late crawlers.
  • g8trkimg8trkim member
    I could see how it might take a bigger baby a little longer to crawl. DS and DD are on the smaller side and are early crawlers. But your LO isn't heavy or late crawling IMO.

• My LO is 7 mo and he's 24 lbs.Last week he started the army crawl and can pull himself up. However, he doesn't stay up long when he gets up because he's really wobbly. As for his crawling, he gets on his hands and knees and rocks but when it comes to moving he army crawls or just rolls to wherever he wants to go. I wouldn't worry about anything. My parents told me that I skipped crawling and went from rolling to walking. Every baby is different so ignore what your friend said.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      Follow Me on Pinterest
  • my lil guy was almost 23 lbs at 6 months.. almost 8 months now and not much bigger. I don't know how much truth is behind this theory but I've considered it. he'll do this half roll sort of thing to get around or full out roll where he wants to go. if he does get up on all 4s, he seems to forget he has to lift his head then just rolls to his hip. so as you see, they're all different, I'm just realizing this. But like someone said, its hard not to compare them.
  • barinebarine member
    not true my son is at the heavy side and crawling. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"