Natural Birth

Birth Classes/Doula

Who took birthing classes? Which ones where most helpful to follow your natural birth plan? Which ones were pointless? I'm aware that doulas provide certain private classes. Is this correct? How early are you suppose to connect with a doula? How early are you suppose to begin classes? Thanks!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Birth Classes/Doula

• CelynCelyn member

The birth class that works best for you really depends on you and what relaxes you best.  Personally, I really like Hypnobabies (but not Hypnobirthing so much) and Mindful Birthing, but I'm also a fan of aspects of Birthing from Within, Lamaze and the nutrition components of Bradley.  

Some doulas teach a well rounded childbirth ed class, some just give points and teach a few breathing exercises.  So look around and see what is offered near you.

It's never too early to connect with a doula.  Most people wait way too long, and the doula they want is already booked.  In the last few weeks I've gotten a dozen requests for June births, but I was already completely booked for June back in January.

• Who took birthing classes? DH and I did

Which ones where most helpful to follow your natural birth plan? We took Bradely Classes and they rocked.

Which ones were pointless? Only took Bradley.

I'm aware that doulas provide certain private classes. Is this correct?  Some do.

How early are you suppose to connect with a doula?As early as you want!  Most couples wait until the end of the second tri to start interviewing.

How early are you suppose to begin classes? Depends on the method of the class!

Thanks!! You're welcome!

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Loading the player...
  • I did Bradley classes and found them really helpful.  They educated my H on childbirth and taught him how to be a great coach.  I attribute my successful birth to this class and my doula.  I was educated, prepared, and supported.  I highly recommend the class.
  • Another shout-out to Bradley classes! I also had a doula, and she didn't help as much as her presence gave me peace of mind. I probably would have had the same birth experience if she hadn't been there, because I had midwives. A doula seems like a good idea in a less-supportive hospital environment, though.
  • abell77abell77 member
    We felt prepared by our Bradley classes.  Typically they are done in the last trimester.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • the pointless classes are the ones offered by the hospital
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"