Babies: 9 - 12 Months

what happened to my good sleeper??!!

AHH! I am going crazy.  My DS has been sleeping through the night since he was 5 months old.  In these past 6 months I can probably count on one hand the number of time he's woken up in the middle of the night, and in those rare instances he would just "talk" to himself and roll/crawl around and then go back to sleep on his own.  Well starting last Wednesday he has been waking up crying in the middle of the night, at first I thought it was because he had a bad cold last week and was uncomfortable with his stuffy nose.  The first couple nighs=ts I was worried and checked his temp- nothing.  Well he is better now, no cold symptoms anymore, seems totally fine during the day but he's still waking up screaming bloody murder every night around 2 or 3.  WHat the heck?? He has never done this before.  And he wont go back to sleep easily.  Could this be teething?  He has never reacted like this with his other teeth coming in (he only has 4).  He has been rubbing his face.  WHen I see him on the monitor he is rubbing his face into the mattress and getting really upset and then stands up and screams for me.  Or maybe separation anxiety?? WHy is all of a sudden doing this at almost a year old??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: what happened to my good sleeper??!!

• I am in the same boat except my LO is 9.5 months old.  All of the sudden this week waking up at least once, sometimes twice in the middle of the night and will not quit crying until he gets a bottle.  I'm hoping it passes soon!
  • When my LO rubs his face into the mattress like that, it's usually because his nose is stuffed up and he's congested.  If he had a cold last week, could be some lingering symptoms especially congestion when he's laying down.  Do you have a humidifier going in his room?  Is he coughing, ear tugging, or any other signs?
  • Loading the player...
  • mnb311mnb311 member

imagedanieliza1127:
    When my LO rubs his face into the mattress like that, it's usually because his nose is stuffed up and he's congested.  If he had a cold last week, could be some lingering symptoms especially congestion when he's laying down.  Do you have a humidifier going in his room?  Is he coughing, ear tugging, or any other signs?

Yup we've got the humidifier on during the night and during naps, and I also put saline drops in his nose a few times a day.  No other signs..

• Meery82Meery82 member
    My son has started waking up also, just this past week! He woke up twice crying and stopped the second I picked him up. So far, he has gone back to sleep fairly easily. I rock him for about 5-10 minutes, then put him back in the crib. He's still awake but doesn't cry. He's never done this before. I don't know if it's teeth or nightmares or what. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm on mobile so I can't see age, but there is a 9 month growth spurt...maybe LO is hungry?
  • mnb311mnb311 member

image99frontier:
    I'm on mobile so I can't see age, but there is a 9 month growth spurt...maybe LO is hungry?

he is 11.5 months.. he doesn't seem hungry, and he is pretty much fine once I pick him up and cuddle him..

Ugh I hope its just a phase. 

• mnb311mnb311 member
    Update: it's getting worse!!! Fml. Last night he woke up every 3 hours. If I don't find some teeth comin through today I'm gonna call an exorcist!! How can he go from sleeping 11 hrs straight through the night without a peep for the past 6 months to not being able to sleep??
  • imagemnb311:
    Update: it's getting worse!!! Fml. Last night he woke up every 3 hours. If I don't find some teeth comin through today I'm gonna call an exorcist!! How can he go from sleeping 11 hrs straight through the night without a peep for the past 6 months to not being able to sleep??

You might take him to get his ears checked. My LO got an ear infection after a cold an had no signs of an ear infection AT ALL except a lingering cough.

• mnb311mnb311 member
    imagebritbratjf:
    imagemnb311:

You might take him to get his ears checked. My LO got an ear infection after a cold an had no signs of an ear infection AT ALL except a lingering cough.

Really?? Yikes! He didn't even have a fever?
    I will definitely take him to the doc tomorrow. It's just so strange. He has been his normal sweet happy energetic self during the day and we've been to a bunch of parties this weekend and he's been an absolute angel but then at night he seems so uncomfortable and cries out
  • Did you take him to the doctor today?? just wondering if he ended up having an ear infection. My guy just started waking up in the night the last 2 nights and it's nearly impossible to get him to go back to sleep. Crossing fingers tonight he is back to himself.

• imagemnb311:
    imagebritbratjf:
    imagemnb311:

Really?? Yikes! He didn't even have a fever?
    I will definitely take him to the doc tomorrow. It's just so strange. He has been his normal sweet happy energetic self during the day and we've been to a bunch of parties this weekend and he's been an absolute angel but then at night he seems so uncomfortable and cries out

I think it might be an ear infection, too. The first two my little guy got, he had a fever and cried at night. He got RSV but didn't get an ear infection from lingering fluid until a couple weeks layer. The last three he got, he never had a fever and even acted fine including at night. I think he had gotten used to the pain. Let us know what you find out.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wish I could help, but I'm in the exact same boat. My son screams bloody murder in the middle of the night and won't stop until we go in and pick him up, and then he'll only sleep in our bed. I don't want to get in the habit of it but he literally will not stop screaming at the top of his lungs hysterically if we don't go get him. He used to be the PERFECT sleeper. It's very frustrating!!
  • mnb311mnb311 member
    Okay ladies the mystery is solved! It was indeed an ear infection. Poor guy! Took him to urgent care yesterday morning. Middle ear infection in left ear
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"