Toddlers: 24 Months+

What's your morning routine? Playing alone

Hi ladies! DD is 2.5. Typical of a first child, she doesn't play independently for longer than 5 mins at a time. I've tried getting her started on activities, not interrupting when she is playing alone, etc. I'm assuming and hoping she'll play more independently w time and age. It's hard bc the only way I can get anything done meals etc is to put a show on tv on for her, which I hate! Otherwise, she's whining and crying at my feet. My biggest pet peeve is the mornings bc she asks to play immediately like 6am and won't play alone. I want to eat and honestly wake up slowly. It's hard for me to muster the energy and enthusiasm to sit on the floor and play so early! Making breakfast and getting ready for the day is fine, but play is hard for me so early lol! So of course, our mornings seem to be filled w whining, tv, and me feeling guilty. What are ur routines? I guess it's different if you have older kids or are working, and have busier mornings. It's just me and DD, and our activities don't usually start til after 9, so we have 3 hours to kill before heading out. Thanks and sorry so long!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What's your morning routine? Playing alone

• I too put the tv on for her. Actually, the morning is when I let her watch the most tv. In between, we eat breakfast, then I get myself ready for the day. She will usually color though while the tv is on.
  • Is there any toy in the house she will play with independently? Does she have imaginative play skills yet? Is there a preferred toy you could leave out of her reach and only bring it out during your morning routine? I would ignore the whining at your feet and not give in. I think turning on the tv is a detriment since learning independent, imaginative play is an important skill. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD watches a show, sometimes in bed with me and sometimes downsrairs ehike I am getting breakfast ready. Then we eat and then she will usually play in her toy room. Sometimes when she won't play independently I have her "help" me unload the dishwasher or fold clothes. Then she is getting my attention and I am getting something more productive done. Have you tried oputting music in in the background? Sometimes if I have on the toddler tunes channel on the tv she will entertain herself with the music
  • I worked on getting DD to play alone for longer periods of time.  Here's what I did (she can play up to 45 minutes by herself now).  

Play for 5 minutes and then leave for 30 seconds, saying "I'll be right back".

play for 4 minutes and leave for 1 minute, saying something specific like "I'm going to go switch the laundry, I'll be back in a minute"

play for 3 minutes and leave for 4 again telling her specifically what I'll be doing an door how long.

play for 1 and leave for 10 tell her specifically what you are doing.

I repeated this last step a few times each time.

after doing this for a few days I shortened the time playing and lengthen the time away.  Now I play for a minute or two and then go do something for 30 minutes or more.  Usually I'll check in on her after 15 minutes, sometimes playing for a minute, usually just commenting on how wonderfully she is playing. 

Edited to add that first thing in the morning she hops in bed with me and we read book for 30 minutes so I can wake up. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Maybe an early walk  with her would start your day off right?
  • I do the same thing when I'm not working.  We get up at 6:30, I give him breakfast and let him watch cartoons on PBS.  I have to nurse the baby anyhow and that's happening without some distraction.  He will play with toys too, but the TV is generally on so there is always a second choice rather than bug me.  I'm not awake and have another kid attached, so I'm not playing. :)  After about an hour, we get it together for the day.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • monaluamonalua member
    My son just turned 3 and is exactly the same way! He also watches TV in the morning. That is his main TV time. I put on a show while I take a shower, get dressed, and do hair/makeup. I also have a 3 month old so I'm nursing/changing her etc. My son watches a hour, sometimes an hour and a half. I feel bad too, but I am a much better mom when I've had some time to wake up and get ready for the day. I get upset when he's whining and wanting me to entertain him first thing. There are other periods in the day where he is more likely to playindependently, especially before and after lunch and he has an amazing imagination! We do what we have to do!
  • Thank you, Everyone! It helps to know that many of you are in the same boat. It's definitely when the TV is on the most, and while she definitely doesn't just sit and watch it (she's usually running around with a ball or toy, dancing to the music along with the show, or bringing other toys in and out), it's the only thing that prevents her from just tagging behind me and whining the whole time. She has an amazing imagination, and has been very into imaginative play. Like one of you said, that may be why she always wants me to be involved. She wants me to be a certain animal or the voice of her dolls, etc. There are hints of independent play here and there throughout the day, but never in the morning. You're right, we do what we can do. I just can't wait for the day though when we can happily start our day with breakfast, getting dressed, and her having the ability to play happily without the TV on for the hour or so before we leave the house! I like the idea of a fun toy or activity that is only available in the mornings. Just have to think of one!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so glad you wrote this, I could have posted it myself.  & I'm so glad JenniC...wrote in b/c I copied down what she did & am going to try it.  Who are these people whose kids sit & color or whatever for more than 5 minutes?  I'm so jealous!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"