Working Moms

I said something

DS is in the infant room which is downstairs with the toddlers room.  They have a changing room with a toilet for potty training and bench the kids sit on while waiting between the two rooms.  The situation has always bothered me.  In DS's room one teacher will take a baby out to be changed while the other babies stay with the other teachers.  I feel like its not a good situation for the toddlers though because they only have one teacher who needs to take the whole class to the changing room.

Today after I picked up DS I walked past the changing room and saw the teacher had a kid on the changing table while she was doing something with the kids on the bench in the back.  Probably 8 foot from the changing table with her back to kid.   I stopped and thought about standing next to him, but I just said something to the director right away.  I'm not the type of person to say something, and I feel like the teacher is in a tough situation, but I would be livid if that was my baby alone on the table.  

Re: I said something

• What was the director's response?
  • I am assuming the child on the changing table was not strapped down...Is that correct?

If my assumption is correct, I would certainly have been upset. However, if the child had a safety strap secured around them (as most changing pads/tables do) I would not have been concerned.

On a broader level, if it is ok for one teacher ti be left with all the babies except for the one the other teacher is changing, you would think it would be ok for one of the teachers from the babies room to help out the toddler teacher during changing time so that not all the kids have to go to the changing room.

• Loading the player...
  • Netty_3Netty_3 member
    I think you should have said something to the teacher so that she would redirect her attention back to the kid on the changing table. But, it's good you said something.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I would not have been happy and definitely would have said something too. A child should never be out of arms reach in an elevated surface like that, the consequences can be devastating.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm also concerned about them not having a changing table in each of the rooms and that they have to leave the room to change them. Think of how often each child has to have their diaper changed in one day...it's a constant thing for a teacher to be changing diapers. It's not fair to the kids or the teachers for one teacher to have to keep an eye on all those kids while another teacher is changing diapers. I wouldn't like that situation either.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Having your back to the kid is something the teacher can change, but the rediculous set up is not something she can change. I'm glad you said something. I hope that you also mentioned that their set up is not workable!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"