December 2010 Moms
Options

Award ceremony

Someone posted on FB a vent about her child not receiving an award at the honor's ceremony. She feels that every child should receive SOME type of award even if it is just a completion award.

I'm sorry but isn't going to the next grade your completion award? What do you think? Should every child be awarded at honors day?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.

Re: Award ceremony

• Options

Absolutely not. It defeats the purpose of an award if they are handed out for trying.

I really dislike the everyone gets a trophy mentality. I don't think we are doing our kids any favors by setting them up to expect to be praised and awarded at every turn even if they've done nothing worthy of a trophy.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    A completion award?  Lol, yay,you didn't fail!  Oh wow, no, but I think awards and recognition are wonderful where due though.  It certainly diminishes the other awards though when everyone gets one.  I do think it is wonderful though when someone actually puts thought in to what awards might be given.  Not everyone will get "all As" but some will be super creative or be excellent problem solvers and I think it is nice to recognize "non-traditional" achievements.  Hope that makes sense!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rink08Rink08 member
    This is one of my pet peeves. I don't think that my child should OR want my child to recieve an award when they haven't earned it. Especially with sports. What is the point in then trying their hardest to win that special limited quanity metal when they could instead be barely paying attention, scooping dirt into their glove, or doing tumbles during a soccer game and still get an award.
  • Options
    Apparently we are in the minority. 50 comments and quite a few like and only 1 or 2 people agreed with me.

• Options
    lswivellswivel member
    imageRink08:
    This is one of my pet peeves. I don't think that my child should OR want my child to recieve an award when they haven't earned it. Especially with sports. What is the point in then trying their hardest to win that special limited quanity metal when they could instead be barely paying attention, scooping dirt into their glove, or doing tumbles during a soccer game and still get an award.

All of this. In my nephews soccer league everyone gets a little trophy whether the team wins or loses. It's annoying. My nephew runs around like a chicken with its head cut off but he still gets a trophy? I hate that everyone nowadays thinks their kid deserves something for just showing up.

Sorry that ended up being a little rant lol.

• Options
    imagelswivel:
    imageRink08:

All of this. In my nephews soccer league everyone gets a little trophy whether the team wins or loses. It's annoying. My nephew runs around like a chicken with its head cut off but he still gets a trophy? I hate that everyone nowadays thinks their kid deserves something for just showing up.

I completely agree with you. I was basically told I have no compassion because I don't think every child should be recognized. Do I get a trophy now for the person with the least amount of compassion?

• Options

I can't fully comment on this post because I will go of on a raging tangent about the disservices to our children in giving out awards like candy on Halloween.... I just get so worked up and Super Angry over it! 

But here is an article (very long, pages long) about this that I love called, "How to Land Your Kid in Therapy".  And here is a quote that pretty much sums up the practice of "there are no losers" from the article.

"Based on what he sees in his practice, Bohn believes many parents will do anything to avoid having their kids experience even mild discomfort, anxiety, or disappointment??anything less than pleasant,? as he puts it?with the result that when, as adults, they experience the normal frustrations of life, they think something must be terribly wrong. "

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lswivellswivel member
    imagejarebearsmom:
    imagelswivel:
    imageRink08:

I completely agree with you. I was basically told I have no compassion because I don't think every child should be recognized. Do I get a trophy now for the person with the least amount of compassion?

So ridiculous. What ever happened to earning what you get. I hate that kids and their parents think they deserve everything handed to them. You don't do the work, you don't get recognized. That's life.

• Options
    I was literally just venting to my mother the other day about how I'm so tired of my students feeling entitled to everything. And it also somehow became my job to do EVERYTHING for them and if I don't I'm a bad teacher. I actually had a parent get mad at me because her daughter didn't earn an A on a quiz because I must not have prepared them enough. Facepalm
  • Options

ditto Sanadora

& not only that, but giving the "non winners" an award takes away from the achievements of the children who are truly deserving of the honors.

• Options

imagelswivel:
    imageRink08:
    All of this. In my nephews soccer league everyone gets a little trophy whether the team wins or loses. It's annoying. My nephew runs around like a chicken with its head cut off but he still gets a trophy? I hate that everyone nowadays thinks their kid deserves something for just showing up. Sorry that ended up being a little rant lol.

Oh I hear you. I have a similar story-

I have 2 nieces (sisters) & while they've both gone to dancing school at some point, the older one couldn't care less about it & the younger one is really talented, is on a competition team, and has true passion for it. Like 2 years ago, the older one was not in dance at the time, but we went to the recital for the younger one. At the end, the younger one got flowers, a stuffed bear, balloons, etc from various family members. The older one saw her sister get all the gifts & attention & pitched a fit that she didn't get anything. So their mom (my sister) went & bought her a generic trophy from one of the gift tables they had set up in the lobby. OMG I WANTED TO SLAP MY SISTER!  Not only was she undeserving of a trophy b/c well, she chose not to dance that year & didn't do a damn thing to earn a trophy, but really? you're going to basically reward her for throwing a tantrum? She was 10 yrs old at the time, btw.

I really hope I never give in like that when my kids are older.

• Options
    lswivellswivel member
    imagebosha711:

imagelswivel:
    imageRink08:

Oh I hear you. I have a similar story-

I have 2 nieces (sisters) & while they've both gone to dancing school at some point, the older one couldn't care less about it & the younger one is really talented, is on a competition team, and has true passion for it. Like 2 years ago, the older one was not in dance at the time, but we went to the recital for the younger one. At the end, the younger one got flowers, a stuffed bear, balloons, etc from various family members. The older one saw her sister get all the gifts & attention & pitched a fit that she didn't get anything. So their mom (my sister) went & bought her a generic trophy from one of the gift tables they had set up in the lobby. OMG I WANTED TO SLAP MY SISTER!  Not only was she undeserving of a trophy b/c well, she chose not to dance that year & didn't do a damn thing to earn a trophy, but really? you're going to basically reward her for throwing a tantrum? She was 10 yrs old at the time, btw.

I really hope I never give in like that when my kids are older.

Oh my word! So not OK! That is kind of what my brother and SIL do with my niece12 and my nephew7. If one of them gets something, the other gets something so they don't feel left out. It bugs the crap out of me.

• Options
    imagebosha711:
    ditto Sanadora amp; not only that, but giving the "non winners" an award takes away from the achievements of the children who are truly deserving of the honors. nbsp;

Exactly! Someone commented on the post and said "that's like inviting kids to a birthday party and telling them they can't have cake" ummmm? No it isn't.

• Options

imagejarebearsmom:
    imagebosha711:
    ditto Sanadora amp; not only that, but giving the "non winners" an award takes away from the achievements of the children who are truly deserving of the honors. nbsp;
    Exactly! Someone commented on the post and said "that's like inviting kids to a birthday party and telling them they can't have cake" ummmm? No it isn't.

It's closer to inviting them to the party and telling them they can't have presents, because it's NOT YOUR birthday!  :)   You can't have the award because it's not your achievement!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"