July 2013 Moms

**UO**

2»

Re: **UO**

• Liz4444Liz4444 member
    imageAsbromle:

imageMamasighs:
    imagedontgiveupnomatterwhat:
    My UO: I cringe when I see "TMI" in the header of a post...not because I care if it's TMI, but because people act like they have a concern for being too graphic...but proceed to talk about it or ask questions anyway.
    Ha! Oh yes. This is a good one. "TMI! Something slimy just slithered out my vagina." Those posts are hilarious.

Haha, seriously. 

I'm all about TMI, but I could care less whether someone lost their mucus plug.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageLiz4444:
    imagemystererae:

3. I think looking good is extremely important. I don't personally spend hundreds on salon treatments, but I don't side-eye those who do, as long as they can afford it. My hairstylist does Extra and other TV shows and charges me a pittance because we're friends. I get my lip threaded. If this linea negra and dark pits problem doesn't go away I will look into laser options or whatever has to be done. Etc. Will I choose this stuff over food for my family or my student loan payments? Of course not. To be clear my self-worth does not hinge on my looks but "look good, feel good" is real. 

I had my arm pits lasered... best. decision. ever.  I haven't shaved in years.  Definitely do it.  I really want to do my bikini line. but I'm scared of the pain.

I had to pause my laser treatments when I became pregnant and you can't do it while breast feeding either. I can't wait to get back at it!! I'm also getting eye Lasik surgery and you need to wait 6 months after breast feeding so that your hormones are completely back to normal. Can NOT wait!
  • Loading the player...
  • Liz4444Liz4444 member
    imagezoeyjack:
    imageLiz4444:
    imagemystererae:

3. I think looking good is extremely important. I don't personally spend hundreds on salon treatments, but I don't side-eye those who do, as long as they can afford it. My hairstylist does Extra and other TV shows and charges me a pittance because we're friends. I get my lip threaded. If this linea negra and dark pits problem doesn't go away I will look into laser options or whatever has to be done. Etc. Will I choose this stuff over food for my family or my student loan payments? Of course not. To be clear my self-worth does not hinge on my looks but "look good, feel good" is real. 

I had my arm pits lasered... best. decision. ever.  I haven't shaved in years.  Definitely do it.  I really want to do my bikini line. but I'm scared of the pain.

I had to pause my laser treatments when I became pregnant and you can't do it while breast feeding either. I can't wait to get back at it!! I'm also getting eye Lasik surgery and you need to wait 6 months after breast feeding so that your hormones are completely back to normal. Can NOT wait!

I don't wear glasses, so I don't need it, but the thought of that LASIK surgery scares the ever loving bejesus out of me.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageChunkymonkeylvr:
    imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageChunkymonkeylvr:

My UO:

I can't understand why people choose to shop at Krogers or other name brand stores and pay triple what you can pay at Aldi's or other discount stores. Why pay more?

We don't have Krogers or Aldi's...

I shop where I like the products. If they happen to be more expensive then alright. I adore Whole Foods for their produce and meat. I can't shop there all the time because of the expense, but if I'm preparing a nice meal I cough up the dough.  

I can get in some trouble at Whole Foods.  I love that place but only allow myself a treat there. OMG... I would so go to Trader Joe's right now as well.

So you admit that other stores are better than Aldi yet judge us for "choosing" to shop at the better stores. Weird.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLiz4444:

I don't wear glasses, so I don't need it, but the thought of that LASIK surgery scares the ever loving bejesus out of me.

I know!!!  I can't even imagine...nothing surgical usually bothers me, I've actually watched surgery be done on my fingers before but everytime I watch something on tv having to do with eye surgery it makes me all clammy.

• imageMrsErinH:
    imageErinm278:

1. It boggles my mind what some women spend money on.  I get that some women have more disposable income than others and it's their business what they spend their money on, but I side eye certain things.  Examples: really expensive clothes or accessories, getting your nails done every week, $200 hair cuts..etc.  I guess these are just not the things I would choose to spend that kind of money on.  To each their own, but it is a waste to me.

2. I never understood when women say, "I got my hair done" or "I bought this dress and charged it on my husband's card!..Like they're getting away with something.  It's just ridiculous to me.  When you're married, doesn't all the money come from the same place?  If you're screwing your H over by charging hundreds of dollars on his card aren't you then screwing yourself over too?  And why would you want to get one over on your H?  Huge side eye to these broads.

So, would you be side eying me for having a Coach purse that I bought at a 50-60% discount at the Coach outlet?  I get that some purchases are pretty outrageous but I don't think it's right to judge someone on how they spend their money unless they are complaining about how they can't afford groceries or other necessities, like another PP said.  Plus, you never know if someone got a deal on something, it was gifted to them, etc. 

Growing up, I never had anything designer and having a nice handbag is something that I enjoy every day.  Not to mention that it high quality/lasts longer than a cheaper one.  To each his (or her) own.  

I never side eye a good deal, this is why I love outlet malls. Occasionally I think it's fine to treat yourself, but I can't see making it a regular thing.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• imageMrsErinH:
    imageCarrie3102:
    imagearlingirl:
    imagemeimsx:

My UO: I get irrationally annoyed by people that take someone else's news or experiences and turn them around to make them all about themselves. Example, yesterday a friend/coworker came to my desk to give me the news that she's pregnant. Which I'm thrilled about! She's so excited and she's already a great mom so this is just fantastic. Anyway, my coirker that sits near me took the news (that wasn't being shared with her) and started talking about her two c/s and how she's glad she has her boy and girl. She had easy pregnancies, etc. Her youngest child is 26 years old. Because of the rude interuption I couldn't even get all the news and fully congratulate my friend.

::thumbs up::

I don't disagree with this, but I am also guilty of "sharing experiences".  Meaning... There was a post earlier about one of us July mommies who's mom may not be able to be there and how she felt selfish for being upset. 

I did express sympathy for what her mom was going through, and how I hoped she was recovered in time to be there. 

I also wanted to let her know that I had been in a similar situation and her feelings were normal, and she was not selfish... I'm always afraid I'm hijacking when I do that, I hope I'm not, I'm not trying to, just letting them know they aren't alone.

I didn't take it like you were hijacking at all, Carrie.  I really appreciated hearing from you and knowing that while your situation sucked, you guys got through it. 

I think it's all about the context and how much the person is sympathizing versus trying to take over and make it all about them. 

Good I'm glad. That wasn't how I meant it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have something that might be a UO.  I don't typically ever drink out of the tap, like ever.  It's gross...and I don't care if it has a water filter.  I also can't use a brita because the water that's in it came out of the tap.  On occasion I'll order water at a restaurant (I know, same thing...but I didn't see it come out of the tap, and I think that's the problem I have). 

For the record I'm a crazy recycler.  I know it's better for the environment to not drink bottles of water but I can't help it.  It's a problem I need to overcome:) 

And yes, I know the water in the bottles came out of a tap somewhere.

• imagemystererae:
    imageErinm278:
    imageMrsErinH:
    imageErinm278:

1. It boggles my mind what some women spend money on.  I get that some women have more disposable income than others and it's their business what they spend their money on, but I side eye certain things.  Examples: really expensive clothes or accessories, getting your nails done every week, $200 hair cuts..etc.  I guess these are just not the things I would choose to spend that kind of money on.  To each their own, but it is a waste to me.

So, would you be side eying me for having a Coach purse that I bought at a 50-60% discount at the Coach outlet?  I get that some purchases are pretty outrageous but I don't think it's right to judge someone on how they spend their money unless they are complaining about how they can't afford groceries or other necessities, like another PP said.  Plus, you never know if someone got a deal on something, it was gifted to them, etc. 

Growing up, I never had anything designer and having a nice handbag is something that I enjoy every day.  Not to mention that it high quality/lasts longer than a cheaper one.  To each his (or her) own.  

I never side eye a good deal, this is why I love outlet malls. Occasionally I think it's fine to treat yourself, but I can't see making it a regular thing.

I spend a lot of time around people in entertainment. If I wear an expensive outfit with an expensive bag, have my hair and nails on point, and pull up in my Benz, it's not just a vanity thing. It's an image thing and it affects how I am perceived, which affects work opportunities.

FTR, I spend $25 on my haircuts, but I happen to have a friend who's a hairstylist for Extra and other TV shows. I only get my nails done a few times a year, but that has as much to do with laziness as frugality. I do own a few nice pieces of clothing, all purchased by my H for me; I've never been confident enough that my body size isn't changing to commit to anything more.  

I get it. I see you're from LA, I'm not from a big city so our lifestyles are likely much different. My SIL has a big wig advertising job in NYC and she wears expensive clothing. She can afford to do so and that's fine. We both place higher value on different things. The expensive clothes aren't my ting, but she wouldn't drop a lot on kitchen stuff like I do. We still get a long great though!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• imageskleigh:
    It only bothers me what people spend their money on when they complain about being broke. Especially when I know how much money you make. This was a big thing when DH was in the military. A lot of his coworkers always cried about being broke...umm, you make the same amount as MH. We aren't, why are you? Oh yeah, cause you blow your entire paycheck on video games, beer, and cigarettes in three days. Quit crying.
    I spend 100 to get my hair done. I like it and I can afford it. Why not?

AMEN! I have a friend who I am actually in the middle of an argument right now cause of this. They got mad at me for shutting them up with an "i dont wanna hear it. same shiit different day!" They work with DH and make the same amount and pretty much pull the same hours. They're 21, still live at home but blow their money on ridiculous bs and are ALWAYS complaining about life and how they are broke. They receive a check for 5k from an accident a few years back and came to me one day with the same sob story. I flipped my shiit. How the hell are we able to live comfortably off of the same income and not be broke AT ALL and all you do is cry about money?! I don't get it! They don't even have responsibilities like bills or a baby on the way. When it comes to situations like this I think it's okay to say STFU and quit crying. That's when people's money spending bothers me. In stupid instances like these. Rant over

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageErinm278:
    imageMrsErinH:
    imageErinm278:

2. I never understood when women say, "I got my hair done" or "I bought this dress and charged it on my husband's card!..Like they're getting away with something.  It's just ridiculous to me.  When you're married, doesn't all the money come from the same place?  If you're screwing your H over by charging hundreds of dollars on his card aren't you then screwing yourself over too?  And why would you want to get one over on your H?  Huge side eye to these broads.

Outlet malls are my new bestfriend c: haha I also never had nice stuff growing up like a lot of the girls in my class. Now that I am able to afford it I treat myself to a few nice things here and there but of course I don't make it a habit. DH just likes to spoil me once in a while c:

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

• imageLiz4444:
    imageAsbromle:

imageMamasighs:
    imagedontgiveupnomatterwhat:
    My UO: I cringe when I see "TMI" in the header of a post...not because I care if it's TMI, but because people act like they have a concern for being too graphic...but proceed to talk about it or ask questions anyway.
    Ha! Oh yes. This is a good one. "TMI! Something slimy just slithered out my vagina." Those posts are hilarious.

Haha, seriously. 

I'm all about TMI, but I could care less whether someone lost their mucus plug.

That was me yesterday, sorry. I didn't think you all would care - I was just kind of freaked out and had some questions. But I also didn't apologize for describing the goo that slithered out of my vag Smile

Re: spending "too much" on unnecessarily expensive things - I don't care what you spend your money on, but I think saying you're paying for quality with designer clothes/handbags is often just an excuse to justify the expense. I do believe in spending a little more for quality when it's worth it (which is totally subjective, I know), but you can get decent quality at a lower price point, and not everything inexpensive immediately falls apart. I've never spent more than $40 on a purse, and I often go with $10-20 ones from Target - and I've almost always used them for at least a year, either full time or rotating back and forth between one small and one large. So that argument doesn't really hold a lot of water with me. If you want to spend $200 on a purse, go for it - but you're not *actually* saving money by buying fewer purses. 

FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • imageAsbromle:
    imageLiz4444:

I know!!!  I can't even imagine...nothing surgical usually bothers me, I've actually watched surgery be done on my fingers before but everytime I watch something on tv having to do with eye surgery it makes me all clammy.

Can't be worse than child birth!!
  • MyrrhajMyrrhaj member

While the way certain individuals choose to spend their money may cause me to raise my eyebrows in disbelief at times (a $5,000.00 hamburger anyone?), I generally do my best to shut up my inner Judge Judy and (but imperfectly, human, and not always) chalk it up to "their money, their choice, my opinion, my problem".

I'm very much aware that being human, and therefore a "glass house" if you will- many of my choices regarding my expenses can easily be perceived by others as being indulgent, extravagant, unnecessary, and whatever synonyms blah blah blah that you could think of to accompany that sort of idea.

I hope that so far, this sounds very reasonable and all, as this bag 'o wind of an introduction's very purpose is to let you ladies know that I am fully capable of being that way, but, alas, due to my mood du jour being unapologetically pissy, I'm giving in to my vicious inner b!tch for a moment. I simply don't feel like taking the "higher" road right now.

*Takes deep breath, releases it, and prepares to be flamed*:

People who without provocation, consistantly, and shamelessly, name drop (particularly high-end) stores/ brands of items they own or shop for drive me apesh!t.

To clarify: If asked for opinions/advice on which specific brand of product is "good" or "bad": by all means suggest away! If sharing deals, coupons, awesome or terrible experiences, again, my response is going to be something along the lines of: (a sincere) thank you! If you cannot resist sharing an absolutely fantabulous, cute, hot whatever-the-fluck find and give in to bragging it up OCCASIONALLY: ok, I get it, guilty as charged!

Again, it is not my right to be the Judgey VanDerJudge of anyone. But.......... in all honesty, that fact doesn't always stop my brain from wondering what the fluck is wrong with you when you start to sound like a freaking entire season of Mad Men, without the nostalgia, or the good looks and charm of Don Draper. It kinda, sorta, more than a little appears that your only intent behind such behavior is to backwardly self-promote based soley by what material possessions (or "pretties" as I like to call them) you own or are capable of owning. It's a tad bit transparent and quite frankly, it's sad. I really, really, truly, sincerely wonder what it does for those who do it.

P.S.- I hope that no one misinterprets what I was just ranting about. Again, by all means go ahead and spend your money on whatever you desire! You won't hear a peep from me, 'cause I don't give a hoot! But braggerts on the other hand..... *pukes a little*

Fin.

photo 4e45a05e-3ae9-47cc-8426-add6bb675340_zps983d487a.jpg
                photo d2dcf996-bfd5-4c24-9964-9fec17650083_zpsa207334b.png               

• imageMyrrhaj:

While the way certain individuals choose to spend their money may cause me to raise my eyebrows in disbelief at times (a $5,000.00 hamburger anyone?), I generally do my best to shut up my inner Judge Judy and (but imperfectly, human, and not always) chalk it up to "their money, their choice, my opinion, my problem".

I'm very much aware that being human, and therefore a "glass house" if you will- many of my choices regarding my expenses can easily be perceived by others as being indulgent, extravagant, unnecessary, and whatever synonyms blah blah blah that you could think of to accompany that sort of idea.

I hope that so far, this sounds very reasonable and all, as this bag 'o wind of an introduction's very purpose is to let you ladies know that I am fully capable of being that way, but, alas, due to my mood du jour being unapologetically pissy, I'm giving in to my vicious inner b!tch for a moment. I simply don't feel like taking the "higher" road right now.

People who without provocation, consistantly, and shamelessly, name drop (particularly high-end) stores/ brands of items they own or shop for drive me apesh!t.

To clarify: If asked for opinions/advice on which specific brand of product is "good" or "bad": by all means suggest away! If sharing deals, coupons, awesome or terrible experiences, again, my response is going to be something along the lines of: (a sincere) thank you! If you cannot resist sharing an absolutely fantabulous, cute, hot whatever-the-fluck find and give in to bragging it up OCCASIONALLY: ok, I get it, guilty as charged!

Again, it is not my right to be the Judgey VanDerJudge of anyone. But.......... in all honesty, that fact doesn't always stop my brain from wondering what the fluck is wrong with you when you start to sound like a freaking entire season of Mad Men, without the nostalgia, or the good looks and charm of Don Draper. It kinda, sorta, more than a little appears that your only intent behind such behavior is to backwardly self-promote based soley by what material possessions (or "pretties" as I like to call them) you own or are capable of owning. It's a tad bit transparent and quite frankly, it's sad. I really, really, truly, sincerely wonder what it does for those who do it.

P.S.- I hope that no one misinterprets what I was just ranting about. Again, by all means go ahead and spend your money on whatever you desire! You won't hear a peep from me, 'cause I don't give a hoot! But braggerts on the other hand..... *pukes a little*

Fin.

Honestly, your post was a little hard to follow. But I think you're trying to say that you don't like bragging and name-dropping just for the sake of it?

I agree with you to a certain extent. I don't think the most expensive product is always the best or the most practical. If I come on the boards asking for opinions about Graco travel systems and you say, "Graco sucks! Get a Bugaboo Donkey instead! It's the only one worth having!" I'll probably side-eye you a little. Maybe I'm buying the Graco because I don't want to pay $1200 for a stroller. Maybe an expensive stroller isn't convenient for me or doesn't fit my lifestyle.

That said, I don't think people should have to apologize for having nice things. If I ask what travel system you have and how you like it, and you tell me how much you love your Bugaboo Donkey, then great! Rock on with your expensive stroller. If you can afford it and it works for your lifestyle, more power to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MyrrhajMyrrhaj member
    imagemonalisa577:
    imageMyrrhaj:

Fin.

Honestly, your post was a little hard to follow. But I think you're trying to say that you don't like bragging and name-dropping just for the sake of it?

I agree with you to a certain extent. I don't think the most expensive product is always the best or the most practical. If I come on the boards asking for opinions about Graco travel systems and you say, "Graco sucks! Get a Bugaboo Donkey instead! It's the only one worth having!" I'll probably side-eye you a little. Maybe I'm buying the Graco because I don't want to pay $1200 for a stroller. Maybe an expensive stroller isn't convenient for me or doesn't fit my lifestyle.

That said, I don't think people should have to apologize for having nice things. If I ask what travel system you have and how you like it, and you tell me how much you love your Bugaboo Donkey, then great! Rock on with your expensive stroller. If you can afford it and it works for your lifestyle, more power to you.

We are on the same page. ;)

photo 4e45a05e-3ae9-47cc-8426-add6bb675340_zps983d487a.jpg
                photo d2dcf996-bfd5-4c24-9964-9fec17650083_zpsa207334b.png               

• imageLiz4444:
    imagemystererae:

Liz, I have both my underarms and bikini line done. I didn't get to completely finish before getting pregnant (damn peach fuzz is hard to shave!), but the underarms hurt much more! Go for it! 

• Liz4444Liz4444 member
    imageChrissieMeas:
    imageLiz4444:
    imagemystererae:

Liz, I have both my underarms and bikini line done. I didn't get to completely finish before getting pregnant (damn peach fuzz is hard to shave!), but the underarms hurt much more! Go for it! 

Really? I figured bikini would hurt more because they are doing it on bone. I'm going to look into it!

• imageLiz4444:
    imageChrissieMeas:
    imageLiz4444:

Really? I figured bikini would hurt more because they are doing it on bone. I'm going to look into it!

I did the full Brazillian so I've had every bit hit with the laser down there. When they get right on that pelvic bone just above the "little man in the canoe" THAT is not very pleasant, but that is just a few short clicks so I just grit my teeth and deal with it. My last round I finally caved and asked for the numbing cream because of the underarms, though. 

• Liz4444Liz4444 member
    imageChrissieMeas:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageChrissieMeas:
    imageLiz4444:

I did the full Brazillian so I've had every bit hit with the laser down there. When they get right on that pelvic bone just above the "little man in the canoe" THAT is not very pleasant, but that is just a few short clicks so I just grit my teeth and deal with it. My last round I finally caved and asked for the numbing cream because of the underarms, though. 

I always did the numbing cream on my under arms.

• imageLiz4444:
    imageChrissieMeas:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageChrissieMeas:
    imageLiz4444:

I always did the numbing cream on my under arms.

So glad I'm not the only pansy... I just couldn't imagine a higher setting on that damn laser! "It hurts so good" 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"