December 2013 Moms

Anyone fly during first trimester?

How did it go? Did you go through the scanner at security or skip it and ask for a pat down? Did the Tsa give you a hard time about it? I prefer to avoid the scanner Xray machine because it releases some radiation, but wondering if Tsa is going to flip out.

Re: Anyone fly during first trimester?

• I flew and just walk through the scanner. I did the same with my first and it was fine. But I say do what makes you comfortable.
  • I did and I did the pat down. It was a pain in the arse. The TSA people really aren't equipped for people to request the pat down, so I had to wait like 15 minutes for a female to be available to do the pat down (and one to observe).

I have since asked my doctor about it and she said it's fine to go through the scanner, so I think I will next time.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

image image

• Loading the player...
  • When I was pregnant I told them I did not want to go through the Xray scanner due to pregnancy and they sent me through the metal detector. That said, my OB said it would be fine to go through Xray scanner, but I tend to be overly cautious!
    BFP #1: 10/15/10; M/C on 12/17/10 
    BFP #2: 2/14/11; DD born 10/28/11 
    BFP #3: 12/11/12; M/C on 1/21/13
    BFP #4: 4/1/13; EDD 12/5/13

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • sbs85sbs85 member
    I'm flying on Saturday, at 12 weeks 2 days. My OB says there is no issue with going through the scanners at the airport. No restrictions.
    BFP: 3/26/13, EDD: 12/05/13, 6/27/13: It's a BOY! BabyFetus Ticker
  • I asked for a pat down and got one with my last pregnancy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SigirSigir member
    I Travel for work about 3 times a mo. I will go thru the metal detector but I don't go thru the new scanners w the scatter technology. I think it's too new to know the long term effects and I go do often... I don't want to be their guinea pig!

I never had a problem w pat downs and never waited longer than a moment for it. I always plan a little extra time tho just to be safe.

Good luck!
  • I flew with no issues other than needing to pee often on the flight.  Oddly enough I did not have to go through the scanner - only the metal detector.  If they would have asked me to go through the x-ray scanner I would have refused and gotten a pat down instead.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I agree that there's no risk going through the body scanner... The new ones where you have to stand still with arms up and it spins around you don't use x-rays anyway. 

However I did ask for a pat down last pregnancy and it was no problem at all.  TSA was equipped for it and did it all the time on request.

• Laumb11Laumb11 member
    I have flown twice so far. The first time I went through the scanner, the second time the metal detector line was open and shorter so I used that. We will see what happens this weekend. My doctor said why go through it if you don't have to, but I hate waiting and making an issue out of it.

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I flew about a week after I found out I was pregnant.  I went through the scanner since they said it was safe.  My only issue on the plane was nausea, I had an aisle seat but luckily didn't have to use it!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I think I've had 3 trips, so 6 security trips in the first tri for work. In some of the airports, I can just choose the line with the metal detector vs. body scanner, but in the others I request the pat down. They are always very professional and accomodating about it. I don't have to, but often tell the person I'm pregnant and that's why and they seem to soften a bit.

ETA: I ask for the patdown based on OB's rec to avoid the scanner

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • OmaCoOmaCo member

imageSigir:
    I Travel for work about 3 times a mo. I will go thru the metal detector but I don't go thru the new scanners w the scatter technology. I think it's too new to know the long term effects and I go do often... I don't want to be their guinea pig!

This is exactly what I've done and why. I've gotten attitude from TSA every single time though.

BFP#1 05/08/12 - EDD 01/03/13 - MC 05/23/12 8w6d
    PCOS diagnosis 02/13 - Started Metformin 03/13
    BFP#2 04/07/13 - EDD 12/17/13
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I flew during week 5.  I went through the metal detector.  I have previously asked for a pat down for other reasons and have always been given a hard time.  But definitely do whatever makes you the most comfortable.  GL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • This is a good opportunity to link the hilarious TSA skit from SNL.

Despite the unpleasantness of it, I go for pat downs. The scanners are generally harmless, if they're working properly.  I'm not impressed by our airport's TSA staff.  They look like they don't care.  If that thing were malfunctioning and blasting out radiation, it'd probably take them till travelers were coming out the other side with glowing skin and 2 heads to figure it out.

Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did, and did the pat down. It went really quickly at both airports and was a nonissue. The agents were all really nice and professional about it, and it went really quickly. 
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"