December 2010 Moms
Options

PT lessons I've learned...

Today I've learned that I can take a kid to the bathroom 13 times and not once will he pee on the toilet. That there are six pairs of wet underwear in my hamper. That I need to buy stock in Sesame Street stickers just for sitting on potty. That my big bag of MMs for peeing might never be opened. It's been a long day. Is this typical?? How long before they actually make it to the toilet? We take him every 30 min!
Why won't puncuation show up if I use my phone??
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: PT lessons I've learned...

• Options
    My punctuation does that too when I'm mobile. Annoying.

And no advice on PT because I'm scared to really try! I think the first few days are pretty tough. Stick with it for a bit and see how it goes. Hugs and good luck!
  • Options
    J was the same way when i tried to PT him. I gave up. He would pee in his underware as soon as he got done sitting on the toilet. I need to try again, but we have something going on every weekend through June, so i'm being selfish.

Maybe on day 2 only give stickers if he goes, not just for trying.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    PGASTLPGASTL member
    Not meaning this in a snarky way, but what made you think he was ready to start training? Was he showing signs of readiness? We aren't PTed here yet but that seems like an awfully rough start.

• Options

I went through something similar in January when I first tried to potty train DS.  I would take him every 30 mins like you and then he would go in his room and come out wet.  I decided that he wasn't ready after 2 pairs of wet underwear.  Truthfully, I don't think I was ready either.  I think we are now getting closer.  He knows how to pull his pants down and has been telling us more often when he stinks.  He also started a new daycare last week and only goes 2 days a week but they try him on the potty and he has gone 2 times there.  That is more than he has gone here.  I am thinking he will be trained this summer.

Good luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagePGASTL:
    Not meaning this in a snarky way, but what made you think he was ready to start training? Was he showing signs of readiness? We aren't PTed here yet but that seems like an awfully rough start.

He started telling us every time he peed or pooped and freaking out about being in wet diapers.  He claps for us every time we use the toilet!  He likes to sit on the potty - he just won't pee!  He can dress/undress himself.  We put underwear on him all day and when I put a diaper on him for bed he sobbed uncontrollably about it, so I'm not sure we could go back even if it doesn't work!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

imagePGASTL:

He started telling us every time he peed or pooped and freaking out about being in wet diapers.  He claps for us every time we use the toilet!  He likes to sit on the potty - he just won't pee!  He can dress/undress himself.  We put underwear on him all day and when I put a diaper on him for bed he sobbed uncontrollably about it, so I'm not sure we could go back even if it doesn't work!

Sounds like he is ready.  I think once he makes the connection of peeing in the potty and getting praised/rewards, he will totally get it and it will be easier.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We tried to PT Griff a like last month but he just wasn't getting it and we were all frustrated so we stopped.  I'll try again in a few weeks.

I was putting him on the potty every 30 min too.  Sometimes he would pee (a few times he pooped) but it was only when I put him there.  He never told me beforehand that he had to go.  And he was having quite a few accidents too.  Right before the accidents he wouldn't have a pee pee dance or show any signs he was about to go.  It would just trickle out.  It was like he didn't recognize the connection between sensation before actually peeing.  And a few times while he was on the potty I would ask him if he peed yet and he'd say no.  I would take a peek and he actually had gone.  And it was just getting way too hard putting him on the potty every fricken 30 min when DH was at work and I had Bishop to take care of too.  I tried for a week and gave up.

The potty is still in the corner in the living room and a few days ago out of the blue Griff asked to use the potty.  So I threw him on it and he sat there happily for about 5 min.  Then he kind of jolted, stood up, pointed to the pee and said "pee!!"  I was so happy but that hasn't happened since lol.

• Options

Neither of my children showed signs of PTing before I initiated training. I find the whole "ready" thing a bit eye roll worthy. They are all capable of learning; whether they want to is another story. Personally IMO, people are waiting too long to try and especially for boys. There's this whole stigma that boys must train later then girls. Why? In my circle of mommy friends the ones that have the hardest time are the ones who waited the longest to try.

Taking them to the potty shows them what to do, but they don't learn the sensation in their body. Neither of mine understood the connection of the sensation of having to go to going until they were pulled out of their diapers. I put them in underwear, showed them where to go, and let them pee all over themselves over and over again until they got it. Every time they started to pee I'd tell them "hurry, hurry get to the potty" and after a while they start to learn both the feeling and what to do. I'd say by days 3 or 4, they were getting the hang of it and by weeks 3 or 4, we were nearly accident free. We trained DS during Xmas break.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSmores730:

Neither of my children showed signs of PTing before I initiated training. I find the whole "ready" thing a bit eye roll worthy. They are all capable of learning; whether they want to is another story. Personally IMO, people are waiting too long to try and especially for boys. There's this whole stigma that boys must train later then girls. Why? In my circle of mommy friends the ones that have the hardest time are the ones who waited the longest to try.

Taking them to the potty shows them what to do, but they don't learn the sensation in their body. Neither of mine understood the connection of the sensation of having to go to going until they were pulled out of their diapers. I put them in underwear, showed them where to go, and let them pee all over themselves over and over again until they got it. Every time they started to pee I'd tell them "hurry, hurry get to the potty" and after a while they start to learn both the feeling and what to do. I'd say by days 3 or 4, they were getting the hang of it and by weeks 3 or 4, we were nearly accident free. We trained DS during Xmas break.

Thank you for sharing your pov.  Everything I read says to wait until your LO is ready and I'm just unsure of when/if Griff is ready.  I thought he was but I was a week in of PT and he was still constantly having accident.  Like, he was just not making that connection of sensation before peeing yet.  In your opinion then, should I have just kept going?  I mean...eventually he would've gotten it....right?  But we were just so frustrated at that point =S.  A lot of people have said to wait until LO is ready and PT will be so easy.  Ugh, I hope thats soon then!

• Options

Has he ever peed on the potty?

Bring books and such into the bathroom. Read to him while he sits there until he goes. If he doesn't go that trip, move your clock up. Instead of waiting another 30 minutes, bring him in 15. If he doesn't go that time, bring him in 10 minutes later.

The first few days in undies we spent a ton of time just sitting on the potty and reading books. (I pulled a stack of books that were just for use in the bathroom and I still keep them in there as there are times when I know she has to poop but she doesn't want to take a break from playing to do so and will instead just hold it, so we sit and read the books until she does her business.) By about day 4, she was telling us when she needed to go and routinely only needing to go every hourish.

We trained at the end of Feb., so just about 3 months ago and she's had less than a dozen accidents, ever, since switching to underpants. Including the first few days.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options
    Rink08Rink08 member
    DS2 wanted to sit on the potty every time that he saw DS1 using it a little after turning 2. So, we started asking him randomly if he wanted to try and that worked for a little while. Then he stopped wanting to so we started saying "ooh, you'll get to wash your hands if you go potty!" which he loves. He'll try to go now just to be able to wash his hands. Now, he pretty much is pee trained and goes on his own but won't always poop on the toilet.

DS1 was not fully potty trained until he was a little over 3. We started training him after his 2nd birthday and he had absolutely no interest. With him, it was due more to his sensory issues than anything.
  • Options
    imageSmores730:

Yes  I think this is kind of our point of view too.  We, the parents, are ready! :)  He did pee there once today when he started to and DH picked him up and ran him there.  We'll see what happens. 

• Options
    Good luck! We are in the boat that he sometimes goes, sometimes doesn't want to be the big boy, but we are ready and he totally knows they system so when we come home next week from vacation we plan on "leaving" the diapers with grandma and grandpa and just jumping cold turkey to no diapers for a week since dh or I will be home for a solid 7 days armed with carpet cleaner and a mop.....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSmores730:

Love this, thank you!  Although we have tried once a few months ago and decided we all weren't ready, I know we'll be pushing it a bit more over the summer.  I signed C up for preschool in September and she needs to be PT by then (or at least close to) so i'm starting to get a little nervous with a baby coming soon.  Not sure if C will regress or progress towards PTing.  Our daycare is closed for 4th of July week so during that week there will be no diapers for C....we'll just see what happens.  I think i'll be sleep deprived still and probably frustrated but at least i'll have time to mentally prepare!  :)

photo 82cd8793-783f-431f-96f0-fcca1084a640_zpsc15e5cb6.jpgimage"Daisypath"> Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

photo d5624905-a6b6-418f-b278-83e809b23a24_zpsd0363f36.jpgBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"