School-Aged Children
Options

MN Full Day Kindy beginning in 2014

So happy that MN passed this today - full day kindy at no cost beginning with the 2014-2015 school year.  Totally bummed that I am missing it (older DD in kindy now and younger DD in the fall) but so thrilled for my friends/family with little ones.  This is so important to give all kids the same chance at a great education - not just those that can afford to pay for full day.  The free half day (a whole 2.5 hours in my district) is a joke.

Proud to be from MN the last few weeks with same sex marriage and now the education bill both getting signed!!!!

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: MN Full Day Kindy beginning in 2014

• Options

That is wonderful.. I am so jealous. My town voted down full day kindergarten about 3 years ago or so. My husband and I were furious.

but kindergarten isn't even mandated in our state, so it is obviously not a priority.  

My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    We are just going to full day next year in our town. I have mixed feeling because I work with my kids a lot on what they want to learn and my son is very ahead and half day allowed me more time to read with him etc and I will miss that with DD but I think it is needed. So go MN with the samesex marriage and education!!!
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member

imageLittlejen22:
    We are just going to full day next year in our town. I have mixed feeling because I work with my kids a lot on what they want to learn and my son is very ahead and half day allowed me more time to read with him etc and I will miss that with DD but I think it is needed. So go MN with the samesex marriage and education!!!

Keep in mind that a lot of kindergarten is also working on social skills and just general "at school" type of things and not just the educational pieces.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    That's awesome.  We still have 1/2 day kindy in our district.  Having helped in the classroom, I am SO down w/full day simply because the teachers barely have any time to get everything done!  They don't have time to learn through play, singing, etc. rather just have to barrel through. I get so much stuff home that's not completed, and I don't think that is the greatest thing to teach a child- to not ever finish something!  It is what it is, and I'm lucky that my DD has no learning issues, or it might concern me a lot more.  I just can't wait for next year when she's in 1st & CAN go full time, for so many reasons!
  • Options
    We have full day Prek4!   I love the district I am in.  DS2 will start in DD's and DS1's school next year in half day PreK3---no other district in Texas has this in-house.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"