Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Food question

Ds will be 6 mo on Friday! I still can't believe it! We started with baby oatmeal now he's had avacado, carrots, sweet potato, and peas he seemed to like all of those. Today I made green beans and squash. I had read that veggies are good to introduce first since fruit is sweet. I guess my questions are any other ideas for veggies? And how long to do just veggies or what other info do you want to share or what are you all doing. Thanks from this ftm!!
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Food question

• We're doing BLW so can't really help with personal advice. However, I find this website has tons of useful info about solids in general. 

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do a mix of Baby lead weaning and purees depending on time and what I feel like eating that day.

I plan to try to feed D all the veggies our grocery store carries, it also helps me get more variety in what I am eating.

So far we have done, carrot puree, grilled zucchini in sticks, spinach chopped and wilted in a pan, peas whole but smooshed between my fingers before putting in his mouth,  steamed broccoli with the stem long for him to use as a handle, butternut squash puree,  sweet potato puree.

Next on my list is parsnips, cabbage, calabash squash, fennel, rhubarb, and yuca.

I generally make enough of the veggie to last 2-3 days so we try it out for a few days then wait a day or two before trying the next one. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi said it doesn't really matter what order you introduce things. In Canada, it is recommended to start a meat right away. Anyways, I just switched things up, I would do a couple of veggies, then a fruit, and then try a different cereal. It's really up to you. The reason they suggest waiting on the fruits is because they are worried that the baby will not like the veggies after eating the sweet fruit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I echo pp poster - my ped said it doesn't really matter - formula and breast milk are super sweet - so a baby is likely to have that preference anyway.  Either way - I too started with veggies - I just went through all the veggies that she could have (we started at 4 months) and then started mixing in a fruit (I waited a while before giving a straight fruit) - now we do whatever.  My LO will eat almost anything :)
  • imagepersephonerose:

We do a mix of Baby lead weaning and purees depending on time and what I feel like eating that day.

I plan to try to feed D all the veggies our grocery store carries, it also helps me get more variety in what I am eating.

So far we have done, carrot puree, grilled zucchini in sticks, spinach chopped and wilted in a pan, peas whole but smooshed between my fingers before putting in his mouth,  steamed broccoli with the stem long for him to use as a handle, butternut squash puree,  sweet potato puree.

Next on my list is parsnips, cabbage, calabash squash, fennel, rhubarb, and yuca.

I generally make enough of the veggie to last 2-3 days so we try it out for a few days then wait a day or two before trying the next one. 

What are you going to do with the fennel? Grill? I can't imagine pureeing it.

• imageExcitedMum2B:

What are you going to do with the fennel? Grill? I can't imagine pureeing it.

I was thinking of roasting it with a little olive oil. But maybe steam. I have to see how stringy it is once cooked. It reminds me a lot of celery texture. But the only time I have used it before was chopped up in my stuffing for Thanksgiving. 

• Like PPs said, you don't have to do only veggies first.  We started w/fruits & veggies, then later added regular oatmeal.  We do fruits for B & L, veggies for dinner.

Apart from the veggies you mentioned, I've given DS: cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, escarole, kale, beets, rutabaga, leeks, broccoli.

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • kekiskekis member
    DD's favorite veggies are baked sweet potato chunks and acorn squash (mashed to break down strings).  Intro whatever you like and whatever is freshest at your market.
    Todd & Kristin, 3.10.07

After 5.5 years of loss, heartbreak, and empty arms, our dreams were fulfilled through the beautiful, selfless gift of adoption. We are amazingly blessed!

Blog About Us | Blog About RPL/IF/Adoption

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"