Toddlers: 24 Months+

My 2-year old not talking much yet...

Hi Ladies,

I haven't been on here in over a year, but wanted to check back in. :) So, my 2-year old boy has about 40-50 words, but only we can understand most of them. He isn't really speaking yet. Anyone else out there have a quiet 2-year old?

He "sings", points at things, grunts, and talks in his own "language". He copies us by "chatting", but it's unintelligible at this point. Of course the doctor said not to worry, but I like to hear from others with quiet kids, if you're out there?

Any info is helpful! 

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: My 2-year old not talking much yet...

• We had our DD evaluated for speech services through the county at 2 because she was unintelligible.  She would talk all the time but it was in her own language.  She didn't qualify for services based on her scores but they still pushed for services based on the quality of her speech and her frustration level when not understood.  I would have your LO evaluated.  Even if he does not qualify they will give you very useful tips on how to help with articulation. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tracy41tracy41 member
    Not me but my nephew was similar to your DS until recently. He hit 3 1/2 and just decided he could talk. It was a little bizarre to suddenly start having full understandable conversations with him. My SIL said it happened over the span of about a month that he became more verbal. Anyway, I believe that the two year old standard milestone is 50 words and half comprehensible by strangers.
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here.....had son evaled at 2 1/2 he didnt qualify based on numbers either but they put him through based on clinical opinion basically b/c i asked them to LOL My only regret was waiting the extra time, wish i did it when i had the gut feeling he was delayed b/c EI stops at 3. Im not sure how much EI is helping him but it cant hurt. Ive seen a big difference in him just by the things we have changed at home and how i started to break up words....like "Ha ppy" I honestly think getting out and about now that the weathers warm has helped a great deal b/c we are somewhere different everyday! 

Good Luck and just trust your gut!  

• Thanks so much, I appreciate it! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My daughter was the same way and we had her evaluated. She didn't qualify for any services, but has improved greatly the past 3 months. She's made great progress on her own. Some kids are just slow to start talking. If he's pointing to things and understanding you and trying to talk, he's probably fine. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our LO was the same way at his 2 yr appt.  The doc said no worries, but I had him evaluated by EI and he qualified for speech services.  After 7 sessions (14 weeks), he's starting to speak in 4-5 word sentences!  Now the SLP is starting to work on articulation with us.  EI is free until they are 3 ys old.  Look up your state's and call - doesn't hurt to just have him evaluated. (EI - Early Intervention)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Not my own, but my niece had a really hard time with her speech. It is my DH's niece, and I met her when she was 2. I could not understand one single thing that came out of her mouth. She didn't use her S's, and was mumble everything, or sing everything. She got a little better by the time she was in kindergarten, and they put her in speech therapy, now she is fine.

I agree with PP's you should have him evaluated, just to make sure it's nothing more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Before turning 2 DD barely talked.  She knew simple words and would make a specific sound when pointing to something and communicating.  After she turned 2 and started going to preschool her language literally exploded.  Now at 3.5 years old she speaks in full complete and varied sentences. 
  • kpips20kpips20 member

At 2, my DS was still grunting like a caveman. He had maybe 10 actual words (not including animal sounds) and I was completely freaked out. Even after the pedi and my SIL who is a speech therapist told me he was completely fine I still stressed about it. And then one day he literally started talking in full sentences and now at 4 yrs old I can't get him to shut up :) I honestly wish I hadn't wasted so much time freaking out.

Just keep talking/reading/pointing things out to him and I'm sure he'll eventually start talking up a storm.

• I was told by EI that animal sounds count. I was like really??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD wasn't saying much at 2 either.  We had her evaluated and she just missed the cut off for speech therapy.  She is 2.5 now and her language has picked up.  I would say get your son evaluated for peace of mind or just give him some time.  

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• imagelogoz80:
    I was told by EI that animal sounds count. I was like really??

Uh, yes, really.  It's a form of communication.  Just like army crawling is still considered "crawling."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"