High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Does anyone see a perinatologist *only*

I am 17 weeks and am seeing my peri because I was so unhappy with my OB that delivered my DD. They missed a lot of my symptoms and were very dismisive with me. He failed to diagnose or treat my postpartum HELLP Syndrome, and it would scare me to go back there. On the one hand, I feel like I am in good hands at the perinatologist group/MFM group. They have run some extra tests and are very watchful in case I develop signs of preeclampsia again (which of course, led to HELLP Syndrome). I also had a postpartum rash called a pupps rash, I also had preterm contractions starting at 23 weeks. I have already noticed contractions in the past few weeks which are a little scary, they did check me to make sure my cervix is still long and closed, which it is. I think I might have more contractions as I progress, I am just now starting to show. I had shots of terbutaline with my last pregnancy to stop contractions, multiple multiple times, but never went into preterm labor. And I have Celiac, so i am gluten free, and I had abdominal surgery last year. So those are the reasons they have qualified me as "High Risk". other than that though, there is a chance, it could be a normal pregnancy this time, which is what I am hoping. I am just second guessing if I should be at an OB group where I can kno very well the doctor that will eventually deliver me. I don't want to be so overly expecting a complication, if there is none and everything goes well. I have our big anatomy scan in three weeks at our 20 week appointment. Maybe I will know more then....???

Re: Does anyone see a perinatologist *only*

• Options

I didn't read your whole post - too long with no breaks, but in answer to your subject line question, yes, we only see an MFM, but not by our choice.  When I was admitted to the hospital at 23w,5d for PTL, our MW and high risk OB said we should just see the MFM for now on.  They don't have privileges at the hospital with the level 3 NICU, but the MFM is based here, so it made sense. 

Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I only see a peri. Technically my provider is a FNP but she works under/with the peri and I've seen my peri at every visit. I've had 3 previous losses and am high risk. I've been with my peri since 10-11 weeks. I am happy to have him and wouldn't have it any other way.
    BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP  #4 - Beatrix V. Q. Born 6.2.13 at 23w6d.

My blog My chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I see both but it sounds like with your history you should stay with the MFM. 
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options
    The practice I go to only has perinatologists. They do the usual OB stuff as well as the extra specialized testing/monitoring. I'd stay if I were you. You're getting the best of both worlds. 
     Mama to Baby K. born @25wks due to pProm/PTL. Forever in Our Hearts. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    takmjstakmjs member
    I see an MFM only, now that I'm considered high-risk (bicornuate uterus, incompetent cervix, PTL, delivered at 30 weeks). Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Vasa previa here. My OB was my primary doc until hospitalization, but sent me for two Mfm consults and followed their lead on management. Now that I am in the hospital for monitoring, peri has taken over. My OB will deliver the baby if I make it to my planned c section at 34 weeks.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"