VBAC

AROM induction for VBAC?

beebabybeebaby member

Anyone here have success with AROM as a means of induction for your VBAC?  My OB will not induce with pitocin, but if cervix is favorable, she will rupture membranes to see if that will get things going for a VBAC in attempts to avoid a RCS.  

Just curious if anyone else had their OB rupture membranes to induce and if so, what was the result?

TIA!  

Re: AROM induction for VBAC?

• skioskio member
    She actually wants to break your water to try to start labor? Are you sure she didn't mean a membrane sweep?

I've never heard of rupturing membranes as a way of induction and I wouldn't consent to it. Many people don't go into active labor after their water breaks for hours, and I know I would be on a strict time limit due to infection risks once that's done. I won't allow my water to be broken at all during my VBAC unless install for many hours.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • My OB said she would break my water if I'm 3-4cm and otherwise favorable, but not before 41wks.  I've had a vaginal birth already and delivered DD1 just 3hrs after my water broke that time.

My c/s was due to DD2's breech position and not FTP or other labor issue.  This may be a reason she's willing/confident in AROM with me.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageskio:
    She actually wants to break your water to try to start labor? Are you sure she didn't mean a membrane sweep? I've never heard of rupturing membranes as a way of induction and I wouldn't consent to it. Many people don't go into active labor after their water breaks for hours, and I know I would be on a strict time limit due to infection risks once that's done. I won't allow my water to be broken at all during my VBAC unless install for many hours.

It definitely is a way of induction but it's a horrible way, if you ask me. Its like dooming you if your body doesn't go into labor plus you are on the clock to begin with. If that was my ONLY choice I can't say I would say no but with my OB foley bulb and pitocin is an option. She isn't a AROM happy OB anyways and would rather wait things out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess if it's that or the c/s, I'd give it a shot.   I had about 2 hours of low does pit before my AROM and it all worked out well.  My VBAC baby was born about 7 hours after the AROM.   But, I would wait as long as possible and try everything else first.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm 40 + 3 and scheduled a RCS for tomorrow if I didn't go into labor on my own before that. Had a CS with my first due to FTP. This time, however, I'm 3 cm dilated and mostly effaced. My doc offered the AROM as a last option tomorrow morning before doing the section, which I agreed to as a last resort to try and VBAC. I don't want to wait until Friday (which is how long they would let me wait) but didn't think they would let me try any induction method before the RCS. They also offered a little pitocin but don't think I want to do that again : ( Hoping it goes well tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"