Two Under 2
Options

What can I purchase to entertain 19 month old?

I have a little money set aside to purchase some things for DD#1 to do when the new baby comes.  I want to make the best use of the money and be very wise about the purchases I make.  I'd love to find something she spends a lot of time doing or using.  At this point, she's about 17 months old and literally just all over the house crawling  (not walking yet) and opening doors and cabinets, pulling up to the window and looking out, and will play a little with toys....but I'd like something she can be engaged in for maybe one nursing session?  
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What can I purchase to entertain 19 month old?

• Options

Before I had DD2, I bought DD1 some Color Wonder markers and the paper to go with it. I'd put her in her high chair (to keep her contained) and let her color away while I did what I needed to do with DD2, or just things around the house.

Mega blocks are messy, but would keep her entertained for hours at that age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lana22lana22 member
    kitchen? my 18mo son loves his.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lew0509lew0509 member
    I second the kitchen. I got mine used for a fraction of the cost, and then bought some sturdy wooden play food and cute utensils from IKEA. He's had it for months and still plays with it. I recently pulled out the exersaucer for #2, and DS#1 actaully likes it better than him. He's also a huge fan of the activity gym; he'll lay under it just like the baby. My oldest also likes to sit and look at books. FWIW, I found that in the beginning #1 didn't care what toy I had, he still wanted me and my full attention when I was trying to feed #2, and would purposely go to all the areas he's not supposed to and generally act out. Now when I need him to stay where I can see him while I feed #2, he gets a sippy of milk and I'll turn on one of his favorite PBS shows from the DVR. He also started behaving much better when he realized that #2 wasn't a novelty that was going to go away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lew0509lew0509 member
    Oh and also if you don't mind a little clean up, I'll let #2 play with my tupperware/nesting bowls.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    WhitWedWhitWed member
    DD is 22mo (so somewhat similar interests) and she really loves emptying buckets and refilling them.  She also likes coloring (Color Wonder is awesome because they're not the best at staying on the paper). She likes building with the big Lego blocks. She's also is really interested in taking care of her baby doll that we got her (feeding it, rocking it, carrying it, changing it). It is teaching her to be gentle for when DS arrives in a couple weeks. So during feedings, you might want to have your DD rock a baby doll or something along those line so that she's included and taking care of her baby, too.  If your DD isn't walking yet, you may want to try a V-Tech sit-to-stand walker. Our DD loved (and still loves) her's. We got it when she was 7mo and she was walking at 10mo.  They learn to pull up on it, walk with it, and the face of it comes off to play with individually.  And lastly any outdoor toys are great. DD has a push mower that she will run all over the yard, she has a Step2 sand and water table that she can't get enough of, and she also likes doing yard work with DH so I got her a little garden tool set.  She can pull weeds, move little decorative rocks, and help sift dirt.  It's too cute!  Good luck!
  • Options
    sosophsosoph member

trains, reusable stickers, snap beads, mega blocks.

We gave ours a band in a box for her big sister gift. Not at all quiet, but I gave her one instrument at a time over several weeks and she loved it. 

• Options
    QmommyQmommy member

Tunnel, tent, magna doodle, aqua doodle, books with buttons to push, leap frog computer, anything really.  

Also know that newborns sleep a lot and you may find that taking care of a newborn is a piece of cake this time around.  Same with BFing.  You will quickly learn that BFing a newborn can be accomplished while playing with DD1 on the floor. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"