Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Which would you rather do?

We have enough babysitters that we could probably go out or drop off DS every Saturday for a couple hours. I would love to be able to do this for about a month or a little longer, just so DH and I can "catch up" on dates, and getting to know the "new" us (as parents).

There also may be the option of going away one weekend per month(leave Saturday morning, get back Monday morning), with 2 babysitters throughout (probably my sister in law during the day, then my mom at night), with the same idea of catching up with DH and getting to know the new us.

If you had the option of going out or dropping of your LO every Saturday for a few hours, or one weekend every month, which would you choose and why? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Which would you rather do?

• hilsy85hilsy85 member
    I would definitely do the Saturday for a few hours...I can't imagine being away from LO overnight every month! Althought I guess you could always cancel if you didn't want to...can't you play it by ear? Like one month if you want to go out for a few hours, the next if you want to go away overnight, etc?

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • I would rather go out once a week or every other week. Overnight is a lot to ask, not to mention I wouldn't want to be away from my kids that often and long. Also, weekends are when DH sees the girls, he wouldn't want to be gone that long.

Then again money is a factor for us as I stay home and hotels and travel that often aren't in our budget. I'm also taking into consideration that we use my inlaws and thus don't pay them. So that would be too much to ask, despite them saying they can't keep them enough.

I think you should try going out a few hours 23 times a month and see if that still isn't enough to "know" each other. Then if you have sitters whom you trust and its not too much for them, add a bit more or an overnight here and there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • g8trkimg8trkim member
    I would do the  few hours every week. That way you could get a proper date night more frequently. Maybe do the once a month weekend thing a few times a year for special occasions (birthday, anniversary, etc.).

• imageKimbus22:

I'd do the drop off for a few hours every week.

I think overnights are a lot to ask of people, even just once a month.  And a lot more expensive to go away once a month for a few days than to have a few meals out.

We try to get a meal alone once a month or every other month.  Overnights are more like every 6 months though.

This. We are fortunate enough that DH's parents watch the kids for us most Thursday nights. We can go grab a bite to eat, take a walk, etc. just the two of us. This weekend we're going to a wedding, but it's the first time we've been out of town together without the kids since DD was born. It's a lot more planning and a lot to ask of relatives, I feel. Besides, as PPs said, it's easy enough to afford a pizza, but gets expensive to go away for an entire weekend once a month.

• DS does an overnight about once a month with my parents. We usually don't go anywhere, or do anything, except maybe get dinner out and enjoy a child free evening. We just use the time to spend together, and enjoy sleeping in the following day. Why does your one night a month be an entire weekend? Do they live far away or something?
  • imageKimbus22:

I'd do the drop off for a few hours every week.

I think overnights are a lot to ask of people, even just once a month.  And a lot more expensive to go away once a month for a few days than to have a few meals out.

We try to get a meal alone once a month or every other month.  Overnights are more like every 6 months though.

Agreed.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• I would do the few hours every Saturday thing.  And then maybe occasionally do the overnight thing, but not every month. 

• iadanzaiadanza member
    I would do a date every week.  It's not only cheaper but it's also less to ask of your baby sitters.  Also, I don't think I would want to be away from my son for a whole weekend every month - a few hours is good enough for me.
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd drop your LO off for a few hours.  You never know how you'll react to not being with them. 

DH and I went away for our first weekend trip when DD1 was 7 months old, and we were a mess.  We ended up coming home early because we missed her too much!  I say start out slow, make sure that you and your LO are comfortable and then evantually do a weekend.  Plus at this age, you don't want to be gone 1 weekend a month - you'll miss so much!

• imagemabenner1:
    DS does an overnight about once a month with my parents. We usually don't go anywhere, or do anything, except maybe get dinner out and enjoy a child free evening. We just use the time to spend together, and enjoy sleeping in the following day. Why does your one night a month be an entire weekend? Do they live far away or something?

This is what my parents did with my sister and I when we were younger. We're 14 months apart, though, so I imagine it was more during the toddler/pre-school stage than your DS's age now.

We have twins and our families are an hour in opposite directions, so it's a little tougher for us logistically, but if I could, I would prefer the date nite concept rather than the one weekend per month. We've done a couple date nights and exactly one overnight so far. They stayed with my parents and we got dinner in and slept late. I enjoyed it, though felt very much like something was missing (hah!) and my DH was less comfortable with it. It might be a while until we do it again...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemabenner1:
    DS does an overnight about once a month with my parents. We usually don't go anywhere, or do anything, except maybe get dinner out and enjoy a child free evening. We just use the time to spend together, and enjoy sleeping in the following day. Why does your one night a month be an entire weekend? Do they live far away or something?

I think I was thinking that we'd go away every time he'd spend the night with someone, so to make that worthwhile, it'd have to be a full weekend, but I think a night at home alone with DH would be great too. 

• imageChristyML:

imagemabenner1:

I think I was thinking that we'd go away every time he'd spend the night with someone, so to make that worthwhile, it'd have to be a full weekend, but I think a night at home alone with DH would be great too. 

It is so nice. We hit the Redbox, get a bottle of wine, and just relax.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"