VBAC
Options

Birth canal too narrow? Risks?

Hi all,

3 years ago, I had my first baby via c-section. I had gestational hypertension and was induced at almost 42 weeks. After 12 hours of labor and a short while of pushing I was told to stop and taken in for a c. They told me the baby's heart rate was dropping too low. I feel like a combination of factors went into why I had the C: the induction, having a now-or-several hours from now epi forced on me when I could have stuck it out a bit more, ect. However, my doc told me later that my pelvis was really narrow and fitting a baby through it will be tough. 

I am 32 weeks with #2 and have discussed a VBAC with my doc (same OB). He is very supportive of it. However, at last week's appointment he did an extensive exam and said that my pelvic anatomy is not ideal for a vaginal birth--and he knows how motivated I am so he is willing to let me try, but its not likely. I am crushed. I wanted a VBAC so badly--I still do. Has anyone else had a similar situation? 

Re: Birth canal too narrow? Risks?

• Options
    The OB who delivered DD said I would never be able to deliver a baby vaginally. DS was born by vbac 2.5 yrs later. There is no way to tell before labor because your bones stretch and baby's bones stretch as well. 
  • Options
    Mamy women are told the same and go on to have vbacs. I pushed for three hours with my first before getting a csection and had a super fast vbac with only two hours of labour from first contraction to birth. I believe the difference was that baby2 was better positioned and I pushed in an upright position, which is proven to widen your pelvis, instead of on my back in hospital positioning. My friend had a similar story and went on to vbac two 10 and 11 pound babies through her "tiny" pelvis.

A doctor cannot tell the shape of your pelvis properly through an exam, and the pelvis will stretch in labour, especially if you work with it by remaining in an upright position when pushing.

Good luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for your responses--this gives me hope! Smile

• Options
    My doctor told me I wouldn't be able to deliver vaginally. I had my 8lb 1oz 21 inch long baby out in just a few contractions. It is very rare that babies won't fit. Position has A LOT to do with it. Labor at home and move around as much as you can during labor. I showed up at the hospital 8 cm (didn't quite expect that lol!) and my baby was born less than 4 hours later. GL!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, and I only had a second degree tear. Probably because he came out so fast.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My c/s was similar to annabelle's - pushed for 4+ hours, little to no progress. My VBAC baby was 2+ lbs and 2+ in bigger than his brother. My MW was always very very supportive and positive about my chances of succeeding at a VBAC, also. And determining pelvic size is a very inaccurate science, like everyone else has said.

Is finding someone else as a provider an option for you?

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    kegkeg member

imagenosoup4u:

Is finding someone else as a provider an option for you?

Ditto to this.  Saying that is a red flag to me and like they are trying to set you up for a RCS.  I know plenty of people in my ICAN group that were fed this line and went on to have successful VBACs with truly supportive providers.  I've heard that it's rare for a woman to have a pelvis that is too small and most of the time issues are due to poor positioning of the baby.    

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    I pushed for 3 hours and my 6lb DS was stuck resulting in my cesarean. My old OB labeled me with cephalopelvic disproportion meaning I can't vaginally birth a baby.

True CPD is rare and unless you have had pelvic trauma or poor health there is no reason to assume you cannot vaginally delivery. I left the old OB and found a new one who shares me thought process that it is more about positioning of my baby then my pelvis. Because of this thought process we both agree that I need to be mobile while laboring and squatting during delivery which will help open up my pelvis. I also have a doula who will help with optimal positioning.

Honestly, your OB sounds like they are setting up the cards for you to fail and doesn't fully believe in your capability. My old OB would allow me to VBAC as well but "expected to section" me again. Huge red flag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow.. actually your pelvis is suppose to open on its own when the time comes and the baby will make it through.. ur doctor sounds crazy! Id switch.. sounds like hes trying to give u a reason to give u a csection.. thats what my dr did and i switched at 30 weeks its ur body dont be afraid to stick up for ur rights!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"