VBAC

Scared

I've wanted to VBAC since DD born 2 years ago.  It is hard to find a VBAC supportive doctor around here, and impossible to find a whole practice.  At my last appointment the doctor talked to me about VBACing (he is not one of the supportive ones) and scared me.  Saying that uterine rupture happens about 1-2% of the time, but they only have 3 minutes to get baby out before their is damage to baby and I would need a hysterectomy because they can never repair the rupture.  He also said that VBAC is safer for mom, but a RCS is safer for baby.  It just kind of freaked me out, like I'm being selfish and the VBAC is just for me.
photo fb29a895-732c-493b-b5f1-15ac16bff5b5_zps53c7f13d.jpg BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Scared

• That info is a bit skewed. Rupture does happen a little less than 1 percent of the time, however those are not all complete ruptures. A complete rupture is very serious and can be fatal but happens in about 1 in 8000. I would recommend you do some really great research before you make your decision, especially when you're getting info from a doctor who doesn't support vbacs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The number I have seen is 0.4% rupture for spontaneous labor.  It is true that rupture will lead to a hysterectomy, but I have also read that the rate of hysterectomy with RCS is about 0.4%.  As far as the window to intervene, it is small, but I have read more like 10 min that 3 min. 

I would spend some time talking to a VBAC supportive provider.   It's one thing if someone who actually does them doesn't think that you are a good candidate. Since it was coming from someone who doesn't even do them and so probably doesn't have as much experience, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLilyBean06:
    I've wanted to VBAC since DD born 2 years ago.  It is hard to find a VBAC supportive doctor around here, and impossible to find a whole practice.  At my last appointment the doctor talked to me about VBACing (he is not one of the supportive ones) and scared me.  Saying that uterine rupture happens about 1-2% of the time, but they only have 3 minutes to get baby out before their is damage to baby and I would need a hysterectomy because they can never repair the rupture.  He also said that VBAC is safer for mom, but a RCS is safer for baby.  It just kind of freaked me out, like I'm being selfish and the VBAC is just for me.

I felt the selfish vibe too and had a doctor telling me these same things. I think for us my plan to attempt a VBAC with my second pregnancy was because I knew we were hoping for 3 maybe 4 kids someday. I couldn't imagine NOT trying bc 3 c-sections seemed like too much for me and I really wanted to attempt to experience labor the way it was meant to be. I say see how you feel as the pregnancy progresses and make a list of your reasons for wanting the VBAC. Talk to your doctor at your next appointment and discuss your fears and see what they say. I also think as much as I hope to avoid the c-section this time I feel better knowing that at least it is only the 2nd c-section so my vbac was totally worth it even if I am not able to do it again this time around.  Good luck!!!

• I read on the ACOG guidelines for vbacs that a successful vbac is much safer than a rcs but a failed TOLAC is worse than a rcs. alot of ob's are afraid of vbac's because of that less than 1% chance of getting sued, which i find bs. of course there is risks with your vbac but thats why the hospital your giving birth at is supposed to be ready for those type of situations. definitely research as much as you can. the more i seem to research the more comfortable i am with a vbac over a rcs. 
  • I had a post on here but needed to edit it for grammar and accidentally hit delete instead. The gist of it was that Drs often gloss over the risks of rcs, and you are at an increased risk of death and hysterectomy with one. Furthermore, the risks for both you and baby go up with each csection, due to increased risk of placenta previa and accreta and rupture, which is something to consider if you want more than two kids.

Also, he skewed the rupture rate, which is less than 1 per cent, unless you start factoring in inductions. And not all of those are complete "have to get baby out NOW!!!" ruptures.

Good luck in your decision.

https://givingbirthwithconfidence.org/22/awomansguidetovbac/weighingtheprosandcons/
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Suzi-G-Suzi-G- member
    I'd do some more research and talk to a more supportive doctor.  Rupture does not automatically equal a hysterectomy.  My BFF ruptured during her VBAC attempt, the baby is fine, she's a healthy happy 18 month old.  And my BFF is fine, it did take somewhat longer for them to repair everything and put her back together and they did have to put her under general anesthesia after the baby was delivered, but she's fine.  She's currently TTC a third, she will be an automatic RCS this time, but her doctor doesn't feel there's any additional risk to her carrying another child.
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • imageannabelle.27:
    I had a post on here but needed to edit it for grammar and accidentally hit delete instead. The gist of it was that Drs often gloss over the risks of rcs, and you are at an increased risk of death and hysterectomy with one. Furthermore, the risks for both you and baby go up with each csection, due to increased risk of placenta previa and accreta and rupture, which is something to consider if you want more than two kids. Also, he skewed the rupture rate, which is less than 1 per cent, unless you start factoring in inductions. And not all of those are complete "have to get baby out NOW!!!" ruptures. Good luck in your decision. https://givingbirthwithconfidence.org/22/awomansguidetovbac/weighingtheprosandcons/

Thank you for sharing this link!   I'm early in my research process and hadn't seen this before. 

PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"