Breastfeeding
Options

Relactation while pregnant...?

I only visit the bump occasionally, but would appreciate any input that you guys have as I haven't found a ton of it on the internet.

My baby girl is 8 months old and was breastfed until 3 months when I went back to work.  I am currently 21 weeks pregnant.  I plan on being a stay-at-home mom afterward baby 2 is born in 4 months and plan to breastfeed him for a year.  I just recently purchased a new electric double pump.  Before I didn't have a very nice one, which was one of my concerns with continuing to breastfeed before while working full-time (plus I wanted ovulation to start...)  So my question is, is it possible to induce lactation while pregnant?  I have read a lot regarding supply issues, but I never had supply issues before (over abundance if anything!) and I plan to continue her on formula while she is at daycare.

Thoughts?  Is it crazy? Worth a shot?

Que ser

Re: Relactation while pregnant...?

• Options
    Unlikely to work, as the pregnancy hormones tend to suppress lactation. She also won't know how to latch, so you'd be purely pumping even if it worked.
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    Unlikely to work, as the pregnancy hormones tend to suppress lactation. She also won't know how to latch, so you'd be purely pumping even if it worked.
    I was actually planning on just pumping.
    Que ser
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You could try but like tokenhoser said pregnancy hormones tend to cause a drop in supply. I went from being able to easily express milk when not pregnant to not being able to not express any. Also colostrum is pretty difficult to pump. Mine always changed around 24 to 28 weeks.

Latching would depend on how many teeth your daughter has. The fewer teeth the better chance she could relearn to latch.

If relactation doesn't work you could always wait till after the baby is born and then pump some extra for your DD. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"