Pre-School and Daycare

Headphone recs for 4 yr old & other plane related recs?

Taking my 2 almost 4 yr olds on a plane for the first time this summer... I know it sounds super easy b/c they're old enough to be excited, etc but we have put it off all this time because DS tends to get a bit overwhelmed & freaky in enclosed spaces w/ strangers (freaked on the thomas the train ride at age 2 once we got inside the train, storytime in the library room took at least 4 tries to get him to stay in the room the whole time, etc).  I am hoping that it'll go better than expected but expecting the worst nonetheless. Thankfully he loves ipad & TV so we will be bringing my ipad and the portable dvd player so they each have something to watch.

I need recs for headphones- do you do earbuds at this age or the foam over the head kind (I'd think those but not sure?).

Also recs for airport & plane travel in general other than snacks, bring some new toys/things to color, books, DVD/ipad... like what do you do if they're freaking out during takeoff & landing & you can't use electronics LOL! 

I'm sure I"m overthinking & it'll go fine, we'll start hyping it up a couple weeks before we leave...I wish airports had older planes that don't fly anymore that you could pay to go explore & look at w/ kids before a trip so they know what to expect!

Re: Headphone recs for 4 yr old & other plane related recs?

• lawry13lawry13 member
    DD doesn't like the earbuds so I got her a kids size pair from target with the foam things.  DD has flown a bunch but the wait of leaving (from boarding the plane to getting up in the air and able to use electronics) still gets to her sometimes.  She likes to look at the emergency pamphlet (go figure) and I usually pull out a snack immediately to distract her until we can put down the tray.  I always bring crayons and coloring books too which she can use on her lap waiting to get to use electronics.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have these for the plane and they work really well and are adjustable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0095XG6YC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1368897819sr=82pi=SL75
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    Will you have a carseat? For whatever reason, every time we get on a plane DD crashes in her carseat shortly after taking off. I'm thinking it's the overwhelming white noise sounds. She too enjoys looking at the pamphlets and plane info brochures in the back pocket.  She has whined a few times about her ears, so we bring lollipops or gummy snacks that make her chew/suck to help with the ears. We always put movies on the laptop but rarely use it on the plane. Looking at the clouds, drinking apple juice from the flight attendant, getting her wings pin and all the other new experiences keep her happy and occupied. I also let her stand on the seat while waiting for our turn to get off the plane. She enjoys seeing all of the other people.
    imageimage
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    And I forgot to mention that we didn't use headphones the one time DD watched a movie on the plane. We just kept the volume low. Planes are so noisy no one around us noticed.
    imageimage
  • We have over the ear headphones as well - if you search for kids headphones on amazon, you'll get tons of responses. The ones we have look like little pandas. DD loves them and they work well.

I always pack a few new snacks and snacks that are special treats - suckers, fruit snacks. 

During take off and landing dd, like the other posters, loves to read the emergency brochure - we talk about the numbers of the plane we are on. We also pull out the magazine with the map of the world and show her where we are, where we are going, talk about other places - that have beaches, mountains, etc.  She also loves to look out the window and see everything go by - other planes, the airport.

I hope it goes much better then you could possibly expect!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageLSU628:
    Will you have a carseat? For whatever reason, every time we get on a plane DD crashes in her carseat shortly after taking off. I'm thinking it's the overwhelming white noise sounds. She too enjoys looking at the pamphlets and plane info brochures in the back pocket.  She has whined a few times about her ears, so we bring lollipops or gummy snacks that make her chew/suck to help with the ears. We always put movies on the laptop but rarely use it on the plane. Looking at the clouds, drinking apple juice from the flight attendant, getting her wings pin and all the other new experiences keep her happy and occupied. I also let her stand on the seat while waiting for our turn to get off the plane. She enjoys seeing all of the other people.

Thanks to all. I had totally forgotten about the carseat, I guess we will be bringing them since we'll be renting a car there. I didn't really picture 4 yr olds sitting in a carseat on the plane though, I think DS would get pretty made if we did that to be honest... I assume you can check car seats? I'd rather not have to buy 2 of those transporter things at their age, I don't think we'd get much use out of them.

• imageLSU628:
    And I forgot to mention that we didn't use headphones the one time DD watched a movie on the plane. We just kept the volume low. Planes are so noisy no one around us noticed.

This is not a good plan because it is against airline rules and if there is any volume comin out they can tell you to turn it off and will not tell you to lower it even with a young child.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    imagegroovygrl:

imageLSU628:

Thanks to all. I had totally forgotten about the carseat, I guess we will be bringing them since we'll be renting a car there. I didn't really picture 4 yr olds sitting in a carseat on the plane though, I think DS would get pretty made if we did that to be honest... I assume you can check car seats? I'd rather not have to buy 2 of those transporter things at their age, I don't think we'd get much use out of them.

If you check your car seat, I'd gate check it. The one time we checked the carseat, they broke the foam inside. I think DD would be a wreck without the carseat, too much room to wiggle and no where to rest if/when she falls asleep. She rides in the car every time with the carseat, so she didn't even bat an eye when we brought it on the plane. 

imageimage
  • On my recent flight with my 3 year old twins, the biggest hits were:

Magic Pen Painting books - awesome since the marker is invisible ink unless on the book. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=magic+pen+painting+books&sprefix=magic+pen+paint%2Caps%2C220

Modeling clay in small playdoh like tubs with stamps on the lids. It wasn't as messy playdoh. I found them in the checkout aisle at Walmart.

Fruit snacks - they never get these and I bought them in their favorite characters. It takes them a while to chew and I gave them one at a time so it lasted longer than other treats.

DVD player and new movies

New princess figurines

• I flew with 3 kids and 1 DVD player. No headphones for us. I kept the volume on low. I don't think anyone around us could hear it. I was right there and could barely hear it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"