Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Screen time q (Ipad)

So would you consider a 3 yr old playing educational games on an ipad some a few days a week the same as watching TV/videos/movies?

Re: Screen time q (Ipad)

• Options
    I don't because if my DD is doing a puzzle or flashcards on the iPad it isn't much different than the old way. I still limit it but I don't think it is the same as zoning out on TV.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do count it toward his total time, but I also think that if he is playing educational games, flashcards, or puzzles then it isn't the same as watching movies. If he is "actively engaged" then I am more likely to give him more time, but as it is he usually only has a tablet or phone when I am busy or we are in the car for a long trip, so I can't really help it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    Yes, it counts as screen time in my household. Then again, the majority of TV shows DD watches I consider educational as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    For me it totally depends on the type of games.  Same "educational" games are not so educational.  That being said, my girls have ipods and use them at very limited times.  We have both movies and games (educational and not) games on them.  We keep very strict limits on when they are used and I would say, on average, it is less than 2 hours a week and we watch very little TV (less than 2 hours a week with the exception of when do a family movie night).  My girls are almost 7years and 5 years and when they were 3, they watched way less TV and did not have iPods.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Ditto the others- isn't part of the screen time limit thing about electronic fast moving images, etc, not just about the content/educational value? While I feel like a decent engaging educational app is probably better than some of the shows, it still needs to be limited for overstimulation, etc.
  • Options
    Yes I count it as screen time.

• Options
    I guess I still consider it screen time, though I prefer it over some tv/movies.  However, we've never limited screen time in my house.  We never made a big deal over it, which worked for us because it became a complete non-issue.  DD is fine having the tv on or off.  She's fine if you take away the ipod.  She's fine if she asks to watch a particular show and I tell her no.  She just doesn't see it as any kind of special treat.  Although sometimes this totally backfires on me when I need her to "zone out" so I can get something specific done and she tells me, "No--I'm going to keep the tv off." 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"