Postpartum Depression
Options

Are you on medication?

How many of you ladies are actually on medication?

I'm not, and I don't plan on it. I have been seeing my counselor for about a month now, and things are going okay, and they will get better, but I have a feeling it will take longer than if I was also on medication, but I'm okay with that. I've been on and off depression medication (usually Zoloft) for the past 12 or so years, and I'm tired of feeling dull constantly.

I'm not saying medication is bad, I'm just wondering if anyone has not been on medication, and has healed greatly from PPD without it.

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are you on medication?

• Options
    I had to go back on medication Prozac while I was pregnant because I got to the point I couldn't function I have been on and off medications for years some work others I'm allergic to
  • Options

I've been on a class B atypical antipsychotic the entire pregnancy due to a mood disorder which, when I'm unmedicated, makes me...unpredictable and difficult are nice ways to put it I suppose.  It's been great as I don't have to deal with the symptoms of the disorder and the med works better than most others I've taken.  Antidepressants such as SSRIs don't work well for me and I'm allergic to a lot of medications as well so I'm really glad to have one work so well and is also ok for pregnancy since there aren't many in the drug class that are pregnancy safe/safe for breastfeeding.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, I am. I also see my therapist often too. I'm on 3 different meds, weaned way down on one and working on another now. Should just be a few months or so and I'll only be on one then :.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options

You shouldn't feel dull on medication. Maybe try a different med.

To answer your question, yes I am on medication. I was suicidal off of it, so going without is not an option for me at this point in time. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options

Lurker here.

I overcame my PPD without medication. I understand that it works for others, but it wasn't what I wanted to do. I immediately felt off after having DD2, and got into some really low points. I chose to speak with others that were having PPD, as well as my doc, and I chose the route of owning up to my problems, and talking about them at all times possible. It was really hard at first. You can't imagine the look on my DH's face when I told him I had constant thoughts of hurting myself and my baby. But, when he realized how serious it was, he really stepped up and became a much better support. Everyone around me did.

DD2 is 5 months on the 29th, and I feel happy again. I think it took me realizing that it was common to get PPD, and that I shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed to really fix it within myself. Also, just getting breaks now and again. A lunch with friends, or an evening out, to just breathe. Sometimes, DH will watch the girls so I can just drive and cry. Now, I just drive and sing my little heart out.

It was hard at first, because people would just brush it off, like I was making up an excuse for being a recluse, but when I was completely honest, with myself and my family/friends, that's when I got the support, and started to feel better. It got to the point that I had to just tell the loved ones in my life "Okay, it's not pretend, I sometimes daydream about my child dying of SIDS, or some other disease. Or being stolen. Just so I don't have to think about another day feeling like this with her." 

Talk. Talk often. Live a healthy lifestyle. Get out of your ordinary routine every now and again. And if it still isn't helping, do give medication a try.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    imagerjeller32:

Lurker here.

I overcame my PPD without medication. I understand that it works for others, but it wasn't what I wanted to do. I immediately felt off after having DD2, and got into some really low points. I chose to speak with others that were having PPD, as well as my doc, and I chose the route of owning up to my problems, and talking about them at all times possible. It was really hard at first. You can't imagine the look on my DH's face when I told him I had constant thoughts of hurting myself and my baby. But, when he realized how serious it was, he really stepped up and became a much better support. Everyone around me did.

DD2 is 5 months on the 29th, and I feel happy again. I think it took me realizing that it was common to get PPD, and that I shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed to really fix it within myself. Also, just getting breaks now and again. A lunch with friends, or an evening out, to just breathe. Sometimes, DH will watch the girls so I can just drive and cry. Now, I just drive and sing my little heart out.

It was hard at first, because people would just brush it off, like I was making up an excuse for being a recluse, but when I was completely honest, with myself and my family/friends, that's when I got the support, and started to feel better. It got to the point that I had to just tell the loved ones in my life "Okay, it's not pretend, I sometimes daydream about my child dying of SIDS, or some other disease. Or being stolen. Just so I don't have to think about another day feeling like this with her." 

Talk. Talk often. Live a healthy lifestyle. Get out of your ordinary routine every now and again. And if it still isn't helping, do give medication a try.

So you just tell people (that you love and care about, and they care about and love you back) about all of your problems? Every single one? Even the ones that are insignificant (or seem that way)? Did people get annoyed that you were being so negative? I'm asking these questions as if I were to do that to the people in my life, and I feel like I would be such an annoyance to them....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm taking Lexapro and am very happy with it. Took it after my son was born for about a year and a half. Now been on it since my daughter was born about a month ago. Not sure I could do it without meds honestly. Hope things go wu!ell for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When DD was one month old I started on Celexa 10mg and gradually increased til it was capped at 40. Did great on it but I hated the price I'd pay when I forgot a day - it'd make me feel like I was drunk. So with my therapist's help I slowly weaned off until this past Easter, I believe, I stepped off. I have some wicked swings back and forth but mostly seem evened out. We'd like to TTC the end of this summer, I'm not sure I'll need to go back on during pregnancy (kinda hope not but /shrug) but I'm 99% sure I will immediately after.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I currently am but prepping to work with my dr to wean and attempt a more holistic approach to dealing with it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"