Two Under 2

I know I shouldn't do this

But I can't stop myself!

At 18mos, DS still takes two glorious naps about 1 1/2hours or more each. 4mos old DD wakes at the 30min mark during each nap until I sprint upstairs and give her the paci. I know I know, I need to give her time to self soothe and I'm making it harder on myself in the long run. I know! I just can't bear to have both of them waking up during the precious few moments they're down at the same time.

We have sound machines in both rooms  (next to one another) so DS might sleep through her screams sometimes but I know she wakes him up most of the time. I learned that in the beginning, which is why I'm where I am now. 

How did you deal with keeping one from waking up the other? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers

Re: I know I shouldn't do this

• kagl08kagl08 member

I did this for the 1st year + of my 2nd's life. Eventually my 1st got used to his sounds and crying, but honestly I didn't want him waking her so I always rushed up stairs to give his paci. Now, they both don't wake each other up from nap or bed and they both know how to self soothe and got to sleep on their own. 

I say do what you can to get quiet and alone time for yourself and deal with self soothing later. She will learn, but at 4 months it definitely wasn't a concern of mine. Getting rest or time to myself was much more important, even if it was just 15 minutes.  

• We let DS self soothe at a you g age, but at 17 months his paci is going NOWHERE...........
  • Loading the player...
  • Teaching self soothing is helping important for making your life easier later on but if it is done at the sacrifice of making you miserable now, what is the point? Do what works for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also, im not sure i wouldn't consider giving a pacifier at 4 months to not be teaching self soothing. You're giving the baby a tool to soothe himself, not picking them up and rocking until they're back to sleep. If all you have to do is reinvest a pacified to get them back down at 4 months, id consider that pretty good for being on track to learn to self soothe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWannalitter:
    Also, im not sure i wouldn't consider giving a pacifier at 4 months to not be teaching self soothing. You're giving the baby a tool to soothe himself, not picking them up and rocking until they're back to sleep. If all you have to do is reinvest a pacified to get them back down at 4 months, id consider that pretty good for being on track to learn to self soothe.

hmmmmm. Interesting point. Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"