Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Trouble transitioning baby to crib

My 8-month old son (born at 30 weeks, so not sure if the preemie factor needs to be considered, but generally he is developmentally close to his birth age) will NOT sleep on a flat surface on his back.  He won't sleep in his crib - the few times we get him to sleep in it, he'll sleep for maybe an hour at most, usually closer to 30 minutes.  Once he wakes up, he screams when we put him back in it after nursing or soothing him.  We had previously been sleeping him in a Nap Nanny Chill, and he sleeps well in his swing, and when he wakes me up to nurse him, I usually cosleep with him.  But, he's starting to roll, and I know he can't sleep in the Nap Nanny once he's rolling, I'm afraid he'll roll off the bed, and I want him to get used to sleeping without me.  He won't sleep in his pack and play and he won't sleep in his crib, and not a blanket on the floor, either.  Looking for suggestions that worked, other than cry-it-out, and he won't stay in a swaddle any more.  Please, advice!! 

Re: Trouble transitioning baby to crib

• I am sorry to hear this! I am going through a similar experience and hoping my baby girl will catch on today or really soon.

My 6 month old has been used to co-sleeping or sleeping in her swing, but now she is too big for her swing and tries to get out and I am afraid she will end up falling and hurting herself. So, I am putting her into her crib at night, and she is crying herself to sleep. 

this takes about 10 min. I go in and reassure her she is safe and tell her its time to sleep. It is just heart wrenching to hear her, but I know that it is the only way to train her to sleep on her own in her bed...  First night and second where bad! It took alot not to pick her up out of her bed, but I didn't.

Each day has been better and better. Just make sure your baby has been fed and is full and has a clean diaper before you try the cry it out in baby bed. They will get the hang of the whole routine. 

Good Luck! (((hugs)))

• My DD slept in the Rock and Play and when I tried to put her in the crib she hated it.  I rolled up a towel and put it under one end of the crib mattress so it was on an incline and once I did that she slept in there with no issue.  I slowly lowered to mattress by unrolling the towel a bit over about a month, until it was totally flat.  She now has no issue sleeping on the flat surface.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We successfully transitioned DS from RnP + swaddle to crib and no swaddle last month. When first trying to do it, he couldn't sleep flat on his back at all.

I didn't want to do CIO, but a poster encouraged that I at least read Ferber's book. After reading it, I was ready to give it a try.

Our DS cried only for about 15 minutes the first night -- he has never longer than that. And very quickly his crying went down to less than 5 minutes -- and most times I put him in the crib, he doesn't cry at all.

The cool part is that when he wakes, he is happy and well rested. He takes AWESOME, predictable naps now too. And he's now only waking once or not at all during the night.

Overall, Ferber's method empowered me to feel in control and reassured about getting DS to sleep. He now has the tools for self-soothing. A real win-win.

photo 9acca2d2-3800-4433-bb71-c445948b76cf_zpsd9667865.jpg

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLyndseylovesHugh:
    My DD slept in the Rock and Play and when I tried to put her in the crib she hated it.  I rolled up a towel and put it under one end of the crib mattress so it was on an incline and once I did that she slept in there with no issue.  I slowly lowered to mattress by unrolling the towel a bit over about a month, until it was totally flat.  She now has no issue sleeping on the flat surface.

This. Or you can also buy a wedge to go underneath the crib sheet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • boppy pillow. If you think he needs a more propped up surface. I also know of some cribs that have the bar that you can lower and raise their bodies. I don't know if that is something you may be interested in. Is his crib in your room? If so maybe move it to another room. Sometimes babies can sense your presence and will wake up. If his crib is not there maybe put it in your room and try that. Hope you and your little one sleeps better.

Colty Bug's Mommy
  • LyndseylovesHugh: I propped the bed up, then tried books under the mattress, and since that didn't work, actually put a pillow under the mattress. It worked- he slept 3 hours, until he woke up, dropped his pacifier (or pulled it out), and got mad that he was laying on his side. :(
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it for about a week - let him cry 10 minutes, check on him.  He wouldn't stop crying by my talking to him, but he'd stop if I picked him up, but screamed as soon as I put him back down. He just got more and more mad and ended up waking himself up wide awake from crying. He cried for hours.  That's why I'm not interested in CIO.
  • pmduggan01 You're lucky. I will check the book out to see if I'm missing something but I tried it for about a week and he cried for hours.  I had tried raising the mattress to no avail, maybe I need to try it in combination with some other techniques. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Faith 21 Do you put the boppy on top of the mattress? My son has managed to wiggle himself off the boppy for a while... I don't think it would be very safe for him. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"